Trailer Hitch for 1990 Civic Wagon?

Hey guys, it's been a LOOOONG time. My wago was gently nudged by a semi truck over three years ago, and after a lengthy battle with his insurance company, and my car being at a world class body shop (no shit, for real) with the owner doing me a huge favor by doing a total repaint for the insurance's less than stellar payout, I'm about to get my wagon back. I'll be sure to post pics of it's minty freshness as soon as I get it back home.

I've picked up biking during the time without my wagon, and I'd really like to add a trailer-hitch-mounted bike rack like the one on my wife's Element. I know roof racks look dope, but I've got a super expensive car cover that will only fit if I use a hitch-mounted bike rack.

So the question:

Who here has had a hitch added to a wagon, and HOW the hell did you do it? I'm guessing this is a weld-in affair?

Thanks!

Comments

• A lot of them here in Europe were equipped with them. They were bolt in not welded. Mine had two thick brackets mounted using 4 long bolts that were drilled through the bottom into the rear hatch area. Then of course the hitch bolted to the two brackets.

276.jpg
  • Oh wow I have never seen those OEM brackets before. That's incredible. Do you think these are parts I could source from Europe - perhaps a forum member?
  • I don't know if they are OEM, but they are in the paperwork for my car. Don't know about other areas of Europe but everything done to a car here has to be noted in the title book of the car deeming it safe to operate. So it was either a dealer installed item, or something that was approved to be installed for that make and model car. I also don't know the ball size of the hitch because it is essentially all one piece. It is a heavy piece shipping might be costly considering its size and weight (from a local Europe member). Mine is still sitting in my spare garage with all my other hoarded parts. The brackets are still on the car, but I might be willing to go out to the garage and see about pulling them off. I can ship through the military (local US rates) so PM me if you really want this thing.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Hit up wreckers in EU, JP and NZ. They were a factory option and Rage even has a post somewhere showing the ratings for the EU ones.
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    Back from the upsidedown?!!!! Where have you been?

Lets see that wagon!
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    ragenasian, do those hitches have a square receiver tube, or just a hitch ball? OP and I talked about it on the phone last night. Seems like I recall a curved drawbar following the bumper contour.
  • Awesome info thus far guys, thanks!

I get my wagon back from paint (yesss) either tomorrow, or mid-week next week. I plan on taking it to a local shop that only does trailer hitches, etc. If their quote is decent I'll just get them to fab one up, but if their quote sucks, or they can't get my car onto a lift, etc. I might seriously hit you up, Rageasian, for the OEM set-up. Worst case is I get that OEM one, and have to pay someone to weld on the square receiver tube for the bike rack I want to add.

Bill - I get the car back very soon. I've been without it for over three years now, waiting on body/paint work. Long story, but between the trucker's insurance not wanting to pay, wanting to total it out for the laughable $900.00 stated book value, to the shop that doing the work does WORLD CLASS work was told by me to not turn away Porsches, Ferraris, Lambos, GT-Rs, etc for my car, it's taken longer than I wanted.

Example of the work this shop does:

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicLiveryOfAtlantaCompanyPage/photos

2.jpg
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    B18C5-EH2 wrote: »

Bill - I get the car back very soon. I've been without it for over three years now, waiting on body/paint work. Long story, but between the trucker's insurance not wanting to pay, wanting to total it out for the laughable $900.00 stated book value, to the shop that doing the work does WORLD CLASS work was told by me to not turn away Porsches, Ferraris, Lambos, GT-Rs, etc for my car, it's taken longer than I wanted.

Should I be expecting a color change????
  • BillBoard wrote: »
    Should I be expecting a color change????

Oh hahah no!

That was one of their pics with different cars together - just happened to be showcasing red.

Nah this wasn't even planned as a complete repaint, but this shop (and the owner, Bryson Richards) is picky. He did work to the rear where the damage was, painted it, and simply because his work looked so much smoother than the rest of the car he wanted it to all be the same. Turns out even though the wago paint looked good it was not a great paint job, and the underneath prep work was too rushed when the previous owner had it resprayed.

Essentially the entire car was smoothed over for dings, and he re-sprayed it all. According to him the jams had been done so poorly during it's previous-owner re-spray that he had to take those down to almost bare metal to keep his paint from flaking off. YIKES!

If anything it will likely be a slightly different shade of gunmetal more closely matching the exact OEM color code.

:D
  • Here you go guys. Drug this thing out of storage for some pics. Haydz is right, it is definitely a Dealer option. Never looked at it that close but found this plate hidden under some black paint. As you can see from the pics it also mounts to the tow hook as well. Ball is also 5cm.

38.jpg

39.jpg
  • hrtbrk1hrtbrk1 Band Wagon
    is that for sale?
  • Sorry for the late responses.

Ragen:

Thanks for dragging that out to take pics. That's pretty awesome. I've never seen one of those in the states. Unfortunately I'm not sure I could use that, or I *could* use that, but I'd have to hack the ball end off, then have a shop weld on square tubing - I'd rather not hack a rare piece like that. If someone offers you what you'd take for it, then please don't sit on it for me. I think my best bet is to take my wagon to a local trailer hitch shop (yes we have shops here that do nothing but custom trailer hitch set-ups) and have them set me up with something for my specific needs.

BTW - my wagon is done. Simply waiting on interior to dry from shampoo, and to have the new tires mounted/balanced. I should be picking it up this week. I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself!!!
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    I don't see why you would need to convert to a modern hitch setup, is it to meet the regulations? Thats the hitch setup the car came with. Does the law allow them to retroactively require you to upgrade the car? I very much doubt it.
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    clean af i had no idea these existed if you opt out lmk how much you will part with for ! :D