Dry cell battery + relocation kit? Whats everyone running?

I'm looking to get some info from folks who have dry cell batteries like odyssey brand which model you went with and the expected life span of the battery.
Let's see your setups!

Comments

• HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Vertex dry cell battery, drew up a quick template in paint for a friend who whipped up a little case out of stainless. Will get some pics of the case up. That runs to a 150A fuse and then a master switch with key... when i get around to installing it.
  • civtec350civtec350 Wagonist
    i didnt have a dry cell battery but i did have a standard honda battery group 51 in the trunk of an old civic i had. i mounted it in a 50 cal ammo can, the battery was too tall so i used a lid from a 30 cal ammo can and added a taller hinge bracket. mounted the lid widthwise instead of lenthwise. made it able to latch too.
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    Lithium Iron https://www.amazon.com/Shorai-LFX14L2-BS12-Extreme-Lithium-Powersports/dp/B005FIUJ0S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1469733033&sr=8-2&keywords=shorai

started my wagon in the middle of a night during a road rally a -20 F. 2lbs. put it wherever you want.
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    civtec350 wrote: »
    i didnt have a dry cell battery but i did have a standard honda battery group 51 in the trunk of an old civic i had. i mounted it in a 50 cal ammo can, the battery was too tall so i used a lid from a 30 cal ammo can and added a taller hinge bracket. mounted the lid widthwise instead of lenthwise. made it able to latch too.

haha that sounds bad ass do you have any pictures?
    Abide wrote: »
    Lithium Iron https://www.amazon.com/Shorai-LFX14L2-BS12-Extreme-Lithium-Powersports/dp/B005FIUJ0S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1469733033&sr=8-2&keywords=shorai

started my wagon in the middle of a night during a road rally a -20 F. 2lbs. put it wherever you want.

do you have to have it recharging when you arent using it? or disconnect for that matter? sounds too good to be true!
  • civtec350civtec350 Wagonist
    klum wrote: »

sorry no pictures. i wish i did, but my phone at the time didnt take good pictures.

do you have to have it recharging when you arent using it? or disconnect for that matter? sounds too good to be true!

use like a normal battery. just dont expect it to run your headlights and stereo for 20 minutes and then crank.
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    Abide::

thats crazy is it really only a few inches wide and tall?!
    how long have you been running it for?
    civtec350 wrote: »

sorry no pictures. i wish i did, but my phone at the time didnt take good pictures.

i hear ya that sounds like a cool project to take on with that ammo box
    thats crazy is it really only a few inches wide and tall?!
    how long have you been running it for?

yep, its that small. but they have some in different dimensions so pick what fits your relocation spot the best.

Mine is actually the 12Ah size but id recommend a little larger, or as large as your budget allows, the 36ah ones are like $350 but the weight is still only 5lbs! ive had it in the car since october of 2013, which is better than any optima ive ever owned too.