Inner Tie Rod Ends: lock washer troubles

Hey, so I recently tried replacing my inner tie rod ends on my 91 RT4WD wagon, thinking it would be a synch, but really knowing that nothing ever is. So turns out that on these cars they used a lock washer that they actually bend to mate with the face of two flat faces on the inner tie rod shaft. Bottom line: it's ridiculously hard to unbend it so you can start loosening the inner tie rod from the power steering assembly, and it's incredibly difficult to bend it back.

Also, the new tie rod end leaves less space between it and the steering assembly to fit a wrench to tighten the inner tie rod end. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to grind down a crow's foot until it has a slim-enough profile to fit in there.

Anyways, does anyone know of a tool for unbending/bending these pesky lock-washers? Any tips? Has anyone replaced the inner tie-rod ends before?

Also, one more question:

The original inner tie rod end has the ball joint facing the steering assembly (which is the whole reason, I'm assuming, that you have to use the lock washer to keep it from spinning), but I've seen replacement parts that are more like newer style inner tie rod ends. They have the ball joint facing the outer tie rod end, and they have a hex pattern on the housing of the ball joint so that you can use a modern ball joint tool to do the job. Is it ok to use this second type of inner tie rod end?