Troubles with swapping D16y7 Into Rtawd Wagon

Now before I begin, I have searched this problem on this site to death and cannot get any straight answers. It seems like all the threads that are asking this question just die off and are never heard from again. With that being said I will continue.

So my girlfriends d16a6 crapped out the other day and she has the motor from her ek coupe laying around (d16y7), so I thought why not swap it.

So first off ive swapped over the a6 intake manifold and the a6 exhaust manifold, no issues there. Next was oil pan to clear transfer case... well that didnt work. The holes are to far off to put the a6 pan on the y7, IT WILL NOT WORK. So I modded the y7 pan to work. Okay done. Now my next issue is the intermediate shaft for the axles. There is no where for the three bolts to go. THere is one spot that lines up but that is it, you cannot drill out and tap into the block because the two other spots aren't there. I see that hush performance sells an adapter that you can use as well. <--- has anyone actually purchased ones and used it before?

So I guess my biggest question is has anyone on here swapped a y7 or y8 into a rtawd civic wagon successfully? Also mine is a manual transmission.

Thank you all for any and all information. Also if you havent attempted this swap or haven't done it yourself please dont comment. The amount of wrong/ false information out there is alarming.

Comments

• ChaseChase Wagonist
    I might have a solution on my hands. Seems like there is a chance the USDM engines dont have the three bolt holes on the back of the block BUT the japanese ones do have the bolts on the back of the block. A friend of mine has a y7 and those bolt holes are on the back of the engine block.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Chase wrote: »
    I might have a solution on my hands. Seems like there is a chance the USDM engines dont have the three bolt holes on the back of the block BUT the japanese ones do have the bolts on the back of the block. A friend of mine has a y7 and those bolt holes are on the back of the engine block.

It all depends what the engine came out of. You will get both varieties. Rather than pull the motor apart and/or locate yet another engine, you could just get the hush performance bracket to adapt the intermediate shaft to the block. Talk to them and see if the Y is supported.
  • ChaseChase Wagonist
    Haydz wrote: »
    It all depends what the engine came out of. You will get both varieties. Rather than pull the motor apart and/or locate yet another engine, you could just get the hush performance bracket to adapt the intermediate shaft to the block. Talk to them and see if the Y is supported.

Yeah thats where I am right now. I called them and left them a VM last night. Waiting to hear what they say.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    FWIW I used the hush bracket (2WD version) to put a D15B VTEC into my Shuttle and it worked fine.
  • ChaseChase Wagonist
    Yeah I just got off the phone with them, the guy on the phone was very knowledgeable and friendly. He DID say that their Hush Performance adapter plate WILL work for the Y Series motors. I plan on ordering it and updating this thread once everything has been installed. Hopefully it will answer peoples questions in the future.
  • I have a d16y8 in my rt4wd. i think like 2 out of the 3 bolt holes line up or something like that? I remember being like, "hmm... this isnt quite right. [9seconds later] meh, f it." No problems since.
  • ChaseChase Wagonist
    I have a d16y8 in my rt4wd. i think like 2 out of the 3 bolt holes line up or something like that? I remember being like, "hmm... this isnt quite right. [9seconds later] meh, f it." No problems since.

haha I like your style. I wish that was my case. None of the bolts lined up in the back except for a portion in the block that looks like it could line up if you drilled the section out and tapped it. Either way this project has been halted as of right now until I get my hush performance adapter plate. Aparently it depends where your engine came from to tell if it has the holes in the back. I have multiple friends who have a d16y7 WITH the bolt holes and some (including myself) who doesnt have the holes.

We found this out after running the vin numbers to both d16y7 engines. One was built in Japan and the other was in Canada.
  • Do you have a reason why you want the Y7? IMHO I would go with a z6 or something older. My full Y8 swap wasnt fun and really doesnt "work", yet it works. There is a lot of swapping parts around to make it work well and I feel the benefit doesnt outweigh the amount of work it takes to put it in there. I think when this motor gives up, I'm going to put a jdm zc sohc vtec in it.

example: y8 dipstick is in the oil pump. I used the "better" z6 oil pump which uses a block dipstick, so when i put it in I realized i have no dipstick now :facepalm:. Then, the t'belt side engine mount isnt clocked correctly when using the old mount, so its rocked forward in the frame pocket, hitting the front and making a slight vib. I used the rt4wd oil pan on the y8 and it leaks, maybe its my fault but i'll need to get a new one b/c 350k mi of oil changes has a 9x too big oil drain plug installed that still leaks... WHY DO I LOVE/HATE YOU SO MUCH WAGOVAN.
  • ChaseChase Wagonist
    So the main breakdown on why I want to use the Y7.

The wagon in question is my girlfriends wagon. We picked it up for $600 and boy is it " rough" to say the least. She had her old y7 laying around from when we swapped her gsr into her ek coupe. This motor ran great, pulled normal and had fine compression. The stock d16a6 that came out of her wagon was seized. We so far have swapped everything needed to make this work except for the oil pan and the adapter bracket. The d16a6 pan doesnt fully line up to the d16y7 block. I have to get the pan cut and re welded. I know a local guy who will do it for $20 so its no big deal there. Our hope is to just get it running correctly.
  • Well good luck i suppose. I have headgasket problems with those motors a lot, they dont live that well from what I see. :dunno:

Where does your a6 pan not line up? Is it on the oil pump? If so then you can swap the oil pump for an older one like the z6 and you should be in business.
  • ChaseChase Wagonist
    Thank you, lord knows at this point ill need it. haha. The holes on the bottom of the block are a fraction of a inch off from the actual a6 pan. I thought I was going crazy because I was almost sure all d series pans fit all d series but then I saw someone on here line them up with a 7 block and the holes were slightly off.
  • ChaseChase Wagonist
    Update: it's 330 am and I'm just now in bed. That car is lucky I haven't set it a blaze yet. Haha good news is the hush performance adapter came today and that worked kinda okay. I'll have a full review of it latrt. I had to modify it to say the least but in the end it worked. Now I just have to find out where all the electrical goes and run the coolant lines and she'll be dropped in. Hopefully by this Sunday its running. Wish me luck.
  • ChaseChase Wagonist
    It runs! We got it to run today. Super excited. Only down side is the axles I was sold don't work. I got some da axles and they were abs and the are binding on the hub itself. So gotta fix that but for right now it starts and idles. Very excited.

241.jpg
  • if they are new axles, a lot of times the abs ring is removable with a chisel and hammer. if they are rebuilt axles the rings could be cast into the axle.
  • ChaseChase Wagonist
    yeah they were new ones. Ill get a picture but I had both hubs lined up and you could see a difference in the actual part that bolts to the hub. In other news I got the correct axles on the car yesterday and it runs and drives really good. Only hang up is that im hearing a banging coming from the pass axle, not exactly sure whats going on there but so far everything, for the most part, is holding up.
  • ChaseChase Wagonist
    Its in now and runs and drives great, day and night difference from the A6 thats in my car. If you are doing this swap and are having problems, please message me directly and ill help you try to get through the issues I Already faced. So far the only down side is the leaking oil pan but whatever, I can live with that. Ill get pics of the car in its entirety soon.