Sound deadening/insulation

Hello,

I started working on sound/vibration proofing the wagon. My question is have any of you completely covered the inside with it?

I have already done the whole floor, every corner and under handbrake etc.

I wonder if I should also stick it on my roof and if I should only do the inside of my doors or also the outside.

Furthermore, I am interested in the over all effect of it when done. It is very tedious work so I want to ask before spending 3-4 more days sticking little pieces together.

Comments

• HaydzHaydz Moderator
    That is a lot of weight to add. Do you just want a super quiet and comfortable ride?

I think you will benefit the most from improving rubber seals and leading/trailing edges for noise.
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    Yes I do finally want to own a car that has at least a bit of luxury smell to it. So yeah super quiet and comfortable is what I am after.
  • Man you must have some nice sound deadener over there if it has a luxury smell. Over here it smells like ass.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Probably best not to apply it using your arse cheeks then? :P
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    Lol greenteagod. I referred to it as luxury because it is quite costly material to put into an old honda. But who cares I lost count of how much money I invested in it long time ago.

Still, does anyone have their wagon sound proof?
  • But I like my silver rubberized undies! I'm actually in the process of soundproofing mine. I've been using some Al's HNR which is a ceramic latex paint that helps to deaden sounds and reflect heat as well. I'm doing that in all the currently exposed metal parts and then doing the aluminum backed liner over all of it. Then on to the doors and hatch.
  • trx357trx357 Band Wagon
    I did my wagon roof with one layer of stinger expert road kill and one layer of half inch closed cell foam. Did that after fixing the roof braces and is worth doing in my opinion. Took out all roof rattle and road noise is quiet compared to before. The closed cell foam works great under the carpet around the tunnel and around the shifter where most road noise is noticed.

Hope this helps
  • trx357trx357 Band Wagon
    I did my wagon roof with one layer of stinger expert road kill and one layer of half inch closed cell foam. Did that after fixing the roof braces and is worth doing in my opinion. Took out all roof rattle and road noise is quiet compared to before. The closed cell foam works great under the carpet around the tunnel and around the shifter where most road noise is noticed.

Hope this helps
  • 91 RT4WD91 RT4WD Wagonist
    I sound proofed my whole wagon and it is a huge difference. I also sound proofed my roof too and it is worth it. I only did the inside of the doors where the plastic sheet use to be.
  • MrWhoopeeMrWhoopee Wagonist
    I used adhesive backed sound deadening foam with reflective mylar on one side from McMaster-Carr for the roof.http://www.mcmaster.com/#5692t63/=xixgtk Comes in 54 in width, very easy to apply. Took about an hour to do the roof once the headliner was out and the roof supports re-attached.
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    Very nice information. I will keep going and insulate the whole inside during the weekend hopefully!
  • Nice find on that foam MrWhoopee, that looks like the perfect material for the roof.