1991 civic station wagon 4-door fuel tank same as 2-door hatchback same year?!?!

Hello everyone. I recently purchased a gem 91 wagovan or "shuttle." After sitting up for 3 years you could imagine it needing some work to run. Well I eliminated problems all the way to the fuel pump. Purchased a new pump and dropped the tank. At that time I discovered the 23 years of sludge and rust. I thoroughly cleaned out the tank and now only need to get rid of the rust. The solution I am looking for is either buying a new tank or eliminating the rust inside my existing tank. I've searched high and low only to find a brand new fuel tank for only the hatchback versions. Will this tank fit my station wagon? If not does anyone know how to get rid of rust inside fuel tank? I heard acetone, but I do not believe that will eliminate all the rust. Another question, is there a place that would clean the inside of my fuel tank and coat it or refinish it? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Like a lot of wagon things, that is wagon specific I am afraid. Your wagon gas tank is part number 17500-SH5-A41. The hatch is 17521-SH3-030 and they are not even close to being the same. I would not clean out a tank with acetone, maybe gas or with a parts washer. But your best bet is taking it somewhere if it is that bad.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. Start an introduction thread with a few pics too please!
  • I use vinegar to clean rust out of old dirt bike and ATV tanks. Fill, let it sit for a day or so, drain, rinse, repeat as needed with a final rinse of baking soda & water to prevent flash rush.
    I have used pool (muriatic) acid in the past, but that stuff is nasty to work with and dispose of.
    Probably just easier to take it to a shop.
  • Like a lot of wagon things, that is wagon specific I am afraid. Your wagon gas tank is part number 17500-SH5-A41. The hatch is 17521-SH3-030 and they are not even close to being the same. I would not clean out a tank with acetone, maybe gas or with a parts washer. But your best bet is taking it somewhere if it is that bad.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. Start an introduction thread with a few pics too please!

Thank you so much for your timely reply. I was really hoping for better news. But I do after all, have great news! A friend at work (oracle lighting) has a buddy who is going to acid dip it for free!!! Saves me the trouble. Things are looking up! And I'm going to do an intro post now. Thanks again!

Ps... I work at oracle lighting. I there is anyone who needs prices, tutorials or just info please feel free to ask!