Suspension Question (aftermarket vs. factory)

So I'm looking to replace my factory Suspension.

The car is my DD and I will not be racing to anything like that..

I'm pretty sure I have the factory install Suspension because my wagon only has 119K miles.
I don't want to lower my wagon, but I do want an aftermarket Suspension.
I wouldn't even mind if is was a little higher.
When on an X-way exit ramp I feel like the front shocks and/or springs need to be replaced.

I have had Skunk2 on a 95 civic, but they were too bouncy, I switched to koni's but they were pretty much the same.
I want an aftermarket Suspension with a factory ride and a performance feel when cornering.

I was also thinking if I replace with OEM, maybe the new shocks/springs will make all the difference and feel I'm looking for compared to my current old worn out shocks and springs.

Any suggestions??

Comments

• Springs make very little difference to performance (well apart from lowering springs generally being stiffer than OEM, but between aftermarket brands its all pretty much the same)
    You need to invest in quality dampers and have them valved to your desired spring rate to get OEM ride quality AND performance handling
  • bkmc24bkmc24 Senior Wagonist
    NZ-DB8R wrote: »
    Springs make very little difference to performance (well apart from lowering springs generally being stiffer than OEM, but between aftermarket brands its all pretty much the same)
    You need to invest in quality dampers and have them valved to your desired spring rate to get OEM ride quality AND performance handling

This is not true. Springs make a who hell of a lot of difference based on spring rate, progressive VS linear and how much lower they are than stock and if they are paired with solid struts.
  • Just FYI I got OEM springs from autozone and they were horrible! Everything about them was bad, all the way down to the finish they put on the paint. It chipped right off and was already rusting through.
  • Springs completely make a difference.
    I bought Autozone springs and shocks all in one for my CRV and never had a problem..
    They were NOT duralast, autozone brand though..
  • bkmc24bkmc24 Senior Wagonist
    I work at the zone(Not porud of it, but trying to help fix the image-ish) and we don't have Duralast brand springs (my store at least)
  • bkmc24 wrote: »
    This is not true. Springs make a who hell of a lot of difference based on spring rate, progressive VS linear and how much lower they are than stock and if they are paired with solid struts.

If you have shit dampers you will have shit suspension regardless of your spring, the spring simply provides resistance, the damper does ALL of the work.
    If your dampers arnt valved to suit your chosen spring rate then you wont acheive anything.

Example:
    -I had stock EF hatch dampers with EF lowering springs, ride was terrible. Way to soft, bounced all over the place. Replaced the dampers with Koni and adjusted the damper rate to what I prefered and the ride was significantly better.

-I used to have Tein Coilovers in my ITR, 10kg/8kg spring. Might as well have had no suspension, was like riding on bricks. Replaced crappy tein coilovers with Fortune Auto (same spring rates) and ride is smooth, linear, comfortable, best Ive had with adjustable coilovers.

-I had lift springs on OEM CR-V dampers, once again, ride was shit, bounced everywhere. Replaced Dampers with Bilstein items. Night and day difference, ride is like OEM just highers.

Conclusion, choose your damper wisely. Springs are springs
  • Are there any particular brand of dampers you suggest?
  • Koni, KYB, Tokico for OTS

Koni or Bilstein for custom
  • Awsome thanks!! LowFlyin