Rough Running

I have a 91 civic wagon 2WD with 309,000 miles with no mods.

Anyway I was up shifting today and my car lost power then slowly died out to a complete stall. You can restart it but it won't run over 1000 rpms and idles extremely rough, and will die without assistance from the gas pedal. It does smoke but I can't quite tell of if it's black or blue. Not quite sure why it would be black though. I've researched a bit and have found multiple problems to no resolve. Trying to avoid mechanics until I've exhausted all of my troubleshooting resources. Any ideas?

Comments

• I had a similar situation happen when some wires came loose on the IACV sensor. But it pretty much immediately threw the check engine light, you didn't mention if you're seeing that. There's also a sensor on the other side of the motor, I forget what exactly it is and I'm in the boonies with minimal connection and no reference materials. I had a wire go bad there too and it also caused some very poor idling/stalling.

With it just losing power like that, I'd definitely check wires, the majority of problems I've had were due to wiring issues.

That's my quick from the hip suggestion though.
  • ryanb91ryanb91 Band Wagon
    Thanks for the help. I've read a lot on the IACV and I will be checking it tomorrow as well as another more thorough check on the wires, plugs, and connections. As far as the check engine light goes it hasn't popped up at all. Another thing I forgot to mention is that the car will start right away but will not get over 1000 rpms with gas pedal pressed in. My fuel pump relay is good and my pump is also priming, so I think I might give a replacement fuel filter a shot. It also has a new distributor, plug wires as well as plugs so I'm somewhat leaning away from it being that.