clutch frozen up

So i just recently pulled my motor out and was advised to replace the clutch,
the motor is a d16y7 out of a 1996 ek with a 1990wagon 5spd tranny,
I ordered a clutch kit for a 1996 thinking since the clutch was mounted on the block/flywheel it would be fine,
so I put the clutch on lined everything up the clutch fork was moving fine with the bell housing off,
so i bolted the tranny back on and right befor i put the motor in i realized the clutch lever wont budge???

can anyone help??

Comments

• You won't be able to move that lever with your hand once its all bolted up. It takes more than that to move the pressure plate.There should just be a bit of play in the lever but you won't be able to get it to fully engage with normal hand strength.

That's not to say you are all good to go, I'm not sure which clutch is the right one, engine matching or trans matching.

Hopefully someone else will post some info.
  • ok man thanx! so you think i should drop the motor in and see whats up?
  • Well, if I were in your situation I would research which clutch and pressure plate are the right ones for that setup. There has to be something out there in regards to that. If you end up needing any different parts it will be much easier to change it now than when its in the car with everything hooked up.

However, it also makes sense to me that you would use the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate that match the engine. In that case, as long as the splines on the transmission shaft fit through the clutch it should work in theory.

I'm fairly sure that a d-series engine will bolt up to any d-series transmission... I say go for it. Worst case, you have to drop the trans while leaving the engine in the car. It's not too terrible.

Best of luck!
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    I know that the clutch disc will interchange from '90 up to like '00, but I'm not positive about the pressure plate height. My gut feeling is that you'll be ok. For peace of mind, search part numbers for the '90 and the '96, see if they match.
  • ok thanx guys!