Skidmark - my '89 civic wagon 2wd

Comments

• vrmouseyvrmousey New Wagonist
    Haha I knew I saw skid somewhere. But I got excited because I thought there would be another wagon near me in indiana

How long ago was that? This car hadn't been driven for a couple years before I got her home, for sure. Tires dry rotted out, almost no fluids in her, no battery, clutch interlock wouldn't make, etc. etc.... driving it like that would have been negligent to say the least. She was sitting.
    Chances are that the car you've seen ( at least for sure since early November last year ) was NOT Skidmark.
    I would say to keep your eyes out! Maybe wait for a nice day. There might just still be a Wagon out your way..

I've heard, from an unreliable source,that there's one in my area here. I'm hoping it's true. I'll keep my eyes out and let everybody know if I do ever spot it!

My wagon won't be able to go out today (it's Wagon Wednesday already), but soon!

Thanks,
    Victor
  • Yea it was last year sometime. I can't remember when it was exactly. But I saw it on Craigslist for sale. It was on there for about 3 weeks before it was removed. So I'm guessing if it was skidmark then it was right before u bought it. And that would be awesome to see another wagon in town. Everyone here is driving eks and egs.
  • MrJayDMMrJayDM Wagonist
    Wow great job!!!

I too will be installing power locks. I also want to install power windows. But I think I'm going to use one of those universal kits. The ones where the switch covers the hole from the crank..
    Kinda like this
    49.jpg

but I'm not sure it I like the way it looks.
    Are you installing power windows also?
    If so how do you fix the hole in the door panel from the window crank??
    Yea it was last year sometime. I can't remember when it was exactly. But I saw it on Craigslist for sale. It was on there for about 3 weeks before it was removed. So I'm guessing if it was skidmark then it was right before u bought it. And that would be awesome to see another wagon in town. Everyone here is driving eks and egs.

Hmmm, did it look like this?
    2.png

Sorry, I might have snaked that one from you! I had been searching for a wagon to do "from scratch" and had cash in hand. I did have my own wagon lined up in Iowa, about 3 hours closer to me (one way), but the guy ended up not having a title or had to apply for a lost title, blah blah blah... 5 minutes after recieving the bad news, I was calling Dongola and having the guy take more pics and text them to me. When the pics came in, I had already gotten the "old lady's" permission to take a 5 1/2 hour road trip to buy a 25 year old car that didn't run for $600! (God, I love my old lady) And that's how Skiddy came to be mine! There's gotta be more wagons out there, dude...

MrJayDM wrote: »
    Wow great job!!!

I too will be installing power locks. I also want to install power windows. But I think I'm going to use one of those universal kits. The ones where the switch covers the hole from the crank..
    Kinda like this
    49.jpg

but I'm not sure it I like the way it looks.
    Are you installing power windows also?
    If so how do you fix the hole in the door panel from the window crank??

Thanks! That setup in the picture looks awesome! I think. Is the switch/cover above the round blank off plate for comparison? wouldn't it make more sense to mount the switch over the blank off? There's potential there, might need a few custom touches:encouragement:
    But the crank handles are probably too low in the wagons for a window switch, I think ( haven't gone to the garage and checked!). To hide the crank holes, how about tweeters? They make cool ones that have an adjustable swivel base, so you can make the sound go where you want it..

As far as going to the power windows, I won't. I like the hand crank windows! They're a bit of a conversation piece - doesn't everybody just get that charmed smile when they see you roll (crank) your windows down?? My five year old thinks they're the coolest thing! I'd call the power windows a no-no for Skiddy, but I'm sure curious to see what somebody else's creative solution to that issue might be! Please keep me posted!

Thanks,
    Victor
    vrmousey wrote: »
    My five year old thinks they're the coolest thing!

LOL funny you say that my kids too think the manual window cranks are cool..
    How about it! When my sister and I were kids, we'd "race" each other cranking away at the windows! Haha good times! Till mom or dad had enough and hollered! Ours is an only child, nobody to "race" against for now. Kids :)

Thanks,
    Victor
    I had yesterday off from work - got Skiddy put back together last night! Seeing her so clean and pretty made me hate the seat covers on the fronts even more than ever! 77.jpg
    78.jpg
    79.jpg
    80.jpg

See what I mean? The front seats with the ugly seat covers- They look like fat grandmas bundled up against the cold wind! I've been looking around the interweb, but I couldn't find anything suitable as a replacement seat or even to donate material for a repair.

I dug thru my contacts and found the info on first wagon I was looking at and gave the dude a call.. He never applied for the lost title, but he'll gladly sell me any parts I might want! SCORE!

I'll be making the 2 1/2 hour pilgrimage tomorrow. From what I gather over the phone, the interior is a match, but the front seats aren't in the best shape. The rear seats, I'm told are in great condition and that's what I'm after tomorrow. Hopefully there's enough material to make something nice. I'll probably grab the dome light since I want dual dome lights - not enough light up front, and there's a cool spot to put one up front molded in place!

Any other ideas on what to grab while I've got the chance? The donor is a 90 or 91, so the fenders aren't going to work, I've already looked at old pics (sucks, I'd love a new driver's side fender)...

In other news, my odometer's stuck. Happened on the way home from work today, got stuck at something like 129999.9 ugh. Good news there is that I got mad at it about a week ago when it was kinda buzzing at in town speeds, and already ordered another whole cluster ($40 delivered!). I figured it was worth it for just the oem speedo/odometer. I'll share more on that when parts come in!

The center piece of Skiddy's bra should be here early next week..

I've got awesome EF Wagon decals that need to go on..

More other news - the "gone full potato" alarm is on it's way to Sterling, along with the remte start module! Yay more wiring :( It will be worth it in the end:)

Thanks,
    Victor
    Here are my potatoes! Extra wires, please..

The remote start module.
    129.jpg

The alarm.
    130.jpg

The destructions..
    131.jpg

The instructions weren't very clear, so I read around online a bit and decided to go for it!

Got the remote start installed first, and moved on to the alarm next. Had to go to wally world to get my GSM SIM card. I actually bought an att go phone for $14.88, complete with Sim. That would make it easier to do the initial setup and avoid stupid people's "you can't do that with a phone" attitude versus buying a sim card and telling them it's for my car alarm.

You wouldn't believe the resistance I got over the phone and online chatting with "tech support". They don't have answers to my questions in their script, I assure you! Tech support my @$$!
    Got my cheapo phone all set up ($25/month unlimited texting -no data) and swapped the Sim card into the alarm. After a little tinkering, I got it to work! The alarm is basically controlled by text from approved phone numbers. (Text messaging is in the background-this is all controlled from an app in mine and the old lady's phones)
    I'll share some screenshots from my text messaging threads with Skiddy's Alarm. Skiddy texts AND calls when an alarm is triggered. She always gives gps coordinates. ..

5.png
    6.png
    7.png
    8.png

As you can see, I put the alarm thru its paces, and it checked out just fine all the way thru! Having a little issue with the remote start thru the app, but I'm working on it!

I got a couple Civic Wagon decals from eBay and put them on last night as well:
    132.jpg

Kinda small, but still cool.
    133.jpg

I've been PM'ing with fellow civicwagon.com member Prennro, and he's working on a couple decals that will be even cooler!

Happy Wagon Wednesday!

Thanks,
    Victor
    The center piece of Skiddy's bra came in today! I snuck a preview to my buddy and he doesn't think it's for a Wagon, but I think it looks cool! I just need to get it to sit a little tighter in a few spots. .
    136.jpg

137.jpg

138.jpg

Now that I'm looking at the pics, it just looks like i need to "roll" the material down at the corners. Can't see the forest thru the trees! Must have had my blinders on! I'll do that before I finish tucking all my new electronics into final place.

My other gauge cluster came in too. looks like I'm going to have another project lined up! That's good, because I wasn't able to get to that other wagon and raid it for parts yet.

When my schedule lines up with the Wagon guy's, my little list has changed. I broke the driver's door lock handle :( and kinda plastic welded it with my soldering iron for now. I want all 4 of his. I don't want the dome light anymore, I'm going to take my chances on ebay and look for one from an older accord or something with driver/passenger lights as well as the dome light. Also want the plastic handle thingies to flip the rear seats down, mine were broken from day one!

Time and money. It seems I'm only allowed one or the other. That's life, but I've got Skiddy!
    That said, I don't think I'm going to try and go turbo this summer. Instead, I think I should do the MPFI conversion and fight all the fight involved with that before making it even more complicated with a turbo. That will give me more time to do it as right as I can...

Thanks,
    Victor
    That alarm is so cool, I wish I would have known about this option before I purchased mine!!
    MrJayDM wrote: »
    That alarm is so cool, I wish I would have known about this option before I purchased mine!!

Thank you, sir!
    I wanted the coolest, craziest, stupidest, most "potato" car alarm available, and I think this is it! That said, I've gotten in contact with the seller regarding the remote start not wanting to work and discovered that it will require a specific remote start module for another $50 (supposed to be $80, but they messed up telling me to buy one somewhere else) and I'm so in love with this alarm, it's funny! I will pay the extra. I will have the remote start module. This brings my total to $209 for the whole alarm - not bad!

I'll have to make a video to show this one off tomorrow and post it back here! it's too cool :)

Thanks,
    Victor
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lMWtmTQFsRI
    Here's a quickie alarm walk thru.

Thanks,
    Victor
  • thats cool good work on the alarm system
    thats cool good work on the alarm system

Thanks! Yeah, it's pretty sweeeeet. But it's not finished. Ugh. I'm on pins and needles dying to get my hands on that radiowave remote start module! Then I can call the alarm wonderful :D for now, it's unfinished business.

I did finish my little project with the speedo/odometer. That was a little bit scary a few times! I've got to upload my pics (lots) and write it up for the next big post. Rest assured, I'll keep all you wagovaniacs up to date on Skiddy's progress!

Thanks,
    Victor
    I mentioned having trouble earlier with the odometer, and that it quit on me, it officialy died at 128,999. The tenths would still click away, but they wouldn't bring me thru to 129,000 and forward.

This is what I got for $40 shipped, "guranteed to work" ebay is so funny sometimes. this thing's got about 57,000 more miles on it than Skiddy's original!

225.jpg

What I got kinda poses a problem as far a re-using most of the stuff for Skiddy's gauges. Here's an old shot:
    393.jpg

The price was right, but would it work? I think the FSM said something about denso and somebody else making 2 different gauge clusters, and it looks like I now own one of each. CRAP.

Time to get to work! Looking at the backs of the two, not much will be interchangeable. I'm going to try like hell and get my $40 speedo/odometer out of this, so help me!

227.jpg

Skiddy's back is on top, and the $40 jobber is below it. See what I meant? CRAP!

So I took the new (old) one apart, and I took the old one apart as well to get them side by side. Without looking into very much detail, it looks pretty close! Looking closer, it's pretty far off. CRAP! From about 40 to 47 mph, big difference. Holes don't look like they'll line up too well. darn dilddly ding dong CRAP. (HAHA! Simpsons)

229.jpg

So I took the new (old) part and laid it in place as much as it would fit, and started marking what material would have to be removed.

231.jpg

The top would have to be trimmed between 55 - 80mph for the case to close, and the opening for the right turn signal would have to be made, along with the bottom left pin hole and around 0mph.

I didn't want to use snips or anything like that for fear of snapping the plastic, so I used my soldering iron melt/cut thru the plastic and cleaned it up with a razor.

Test fit #2
    233.jpg

Still needs more notching around the turn signal and across the top. Starting to look like it might work - Bolt holes/electrical connections DO fit on the rear!

Test fit #3
    235.jpg

This is looking good now from the front, at least! Time to check operation! Pushing buttons revealed another fitment issue: the trip reset button won't work now that it's screwed in place.

After looking at the way the trip reset works, it looked like I only needed to make room for the backside of the trip reset button to travel. Look into the hole I drilled. see the little black dot? that's the back of the trip reset button:

237.jpg

This way, when I push the trip reset button, it will have somewhere to go:

239.jpg

Time to start putting it back together! yay! Then I found another problem. The next layer of plastic tha would shroud the gauges is hitting the trip reset button. Had to offset the hole a little:

242.jpg

Then, after offsetting the hole in the clear plastic and replacing the little grommet there, all good!

244.jpg

and YES the lights work:

245.jpg

Not bad for 1989, huh? I want the led conversion bulbs bad!

247.jpg

So now it's all put back, together. No test drive tonight, I'll take the "shorty" to school tomorrow and we'll see about the operation and whether ot not I get a check engine light for the VSS - I hope not!

I'll report back tomorrow, hopefully with good news. Anybody need the leftover parts? cheap? P.M. me if you want!

Thanks,
    Victor
  • PrennroPrennro Council Member
    The alarm install and notifications is really cool. Also Glad you got cluster to work. Seems like thing need to always be modified to fit the wagons, and even additional mods for 89s! Case in point, make sure you double check b4 ordering led bulbs as the 89s clusters are diff configuration than other wagons. Just discovered this thanks to greenteagod and knottyy build threads.
    Prennro wrote: »
    The alarm install and notifications is really cool. Also Glad you got cluster to work. Seems like thing need to always be modified to fit the wagons, and even additional mods for 89s! Case in point, make sure you double check b4 ordering led bulbs as the 89s clusters are diff configuration than other wagons. Just discovered this thanks to greenteagod and knottyy build threads.

Thanks! I wasn't thinking far enough ahead to write down all the bulb sizes while I had it all apart. . Good news is that it works, no check engine light for VSS. Yay!

But yeah, I'm going to do a little more homework before I go and buy bulbs for the dash. No big rush, right?

Thanks,
    Victor
  • JHMEE4JHMEE4 New Wagonist
    That window insulator probably works better than my quick duct tape job.. haha That alarm is crazy cool. Nice work overall!
    JHMEE4 wrote: »
    That window insulator probably works better than my quick duct tape job.. haha That alarm is crazy cool. Nice work overall!

Thanks dude! I just couldn't leave the doors open, Ya know? I'm so in love with my Wagon, this alarm is a great little piece of mind for me. I'm still getting used to her texting me to lock her all the time.. even if I just pull her or of the garage, 15 minutes later I get the "please lock me" text!

I might just seem a little less crazy for talking to my car thanks to this alarm. ha! I giggle and tell her: it's ok Skiddy, I'm right here..

Thanks,
    Victor
    It's Wagon Wednesday!

Mini - update: The remote start module is supposedly being built in Malaysia or something, as there were none in stock, and had been on backorder. I shoud have the remote start module in the beginning of April...

Weather is starting to warm up in my area! We actually hit 75 degrees monday! I started with the spring cleaning and making more room in my tiny garage. Got Skiddy's '89 rims cleaned up (pretty new tires) and WOW! They look pretty darn good for 25 years old:

374.jpg

They'll be in the basement waiting for winter now. I've also cleaned up a couple more things that I'm pretty sure I'll need for the turbo motor (looks like next summer, Skiddy) I've already blasted the valve cover a little and am starting to take the z6 head apart.

It's spring cleaning time for sure! I'm trying to get as much garage cleaning done as I can before I get "volunteered" to till her garden and all that junk..

I went to the junkyard to help a buddy out with a valve cover, and found a few lock handles, but not the right color - these can be for a "just in case" I'm going to hold out and try to get the brown ones.
    375.jpg

Washed the car in the nice warm sun, I could get used to this!
    376.jpg

Happy Wagon Wednesday, everybody!

Thanks,
    Victor
    Got my supersweet decals in today from Prennro! Thanks dude - looks great!

The "save a civic" and "wagon wednesday" are pretty much off the shelf Prennro designs. I got in touch with him for a couple of each and got LUCKY in that he was taking care of some important final details on his wagon, and so my decals were delayed.

Lucky because good ol' Prennro must have felt a little guilty and threw in a TOTALLY AWESOME and FREE cutom"Skiddy" decal along with a little "plug" for him on instagram!

I will shamelessly rock your "plug" Prennro! Check out this awesomeness!!
    These are the "off the shelf" (awesome shelf, by the way)

424.jpg

425.jpg

This is the custom Skiddy one:

426.jpg

It was still a little too light to take the shot straight on, but you get the idea. I LOVE THIS! So freaking cool!

427.jpg

This is where the decals came from on instagram:

428.jpg

So this is my back window after the last round of "tattoos" on Skiddy..

429.jpg

Yup. Giggity.

Thanks,
    Victor
    Really appreciate the support Victor! Thanks again.
    Really appreciate the support Victor! Thanks again.

I'm very happy, Prennro! It's all true and the decals are awesome. The Skiddy decal is the best. I feel like I got every bit of what I paid for, well worth the wait.

Thanks,
    Victor
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Good stuff! Just now checking in on your thread. I have to admit to being fed up with most of the same ol' that I see from most new members, and not reading every word of the forum like I used to.
    You're doing some good stuff and doing it well, looks like. The ecomodder thing intrigues me, but I rarely drive any highway miles. My commute is 11 miles and 23 lights, 45mph limit.
    bam-bam wrote: »
    Good stuff! Just now checking in on your thread. I have to admit to being fed up with most of the same ol' that I see from most new members, and not reading every word of the forum like I used to.
    You're doing some good stuff and doing it well, looks like. The ecomodder thing intrigues me, but I rarely drive any highway miles. My commute is 11 miles and 23 lights, 45mph limit.

Thanks! Mpg's are real important to me, my commute is 50 miles each way (can't make $31/hr in this po-dunk little town, gotta drive to where they can afford me!).
    Skiddy is more for fun, but I've got to be able to afford to cruise her as well! Thanks!

This will be the summer of mpfi for Skiddy if I have my way. .

Thanks,
    Victor
    It's been a little while since I've done anything to Skiddy, but not because I didn't want to! Got the email I've been waiting forever for - the remote start module is on the way!

20.png

Yay! now I'll be hounding the mail man until it gets here. I can't wait - I'll finally be able to call the alarm DONE! I'll make another video showing the remote start when that part is done. I don't want to show the world how my alarm is installed, but that it works. I'll answer questions in the thread or in private for anybody that's got them, but no wiring pics...

Thanks,
    Victor
    Well, It's been a while, but my remote start module came in! finally! Got it all installed and it works like a charm, but it's a little different form any remote start I've ever installed..

13.jpg

This remote start module doesn't monitor the brakes!

14.jpg

I've only installed 3 remote starters before this one, but they all monitored the brakes. If you touch the brakes, it kils the car. This system apparently says that if you're not supposed to be able to touch the brakes, you shouldn't even be in the car! Unlocking/opening a door will trigger the alarm (alarm will text me with alert & gps location & call me with sound ).

Even with the alarm disarmed, sending the start command will first arm the system, and then start the car. The idea is that the starter knows the car is secure, and won't allow the car to run otherwise. That way I can remote start, disarm the car, and get in and drive away. The key still needs to be in the ignition to unlock the steering wheel, and it will shutdown after 10 minutes of runtime unless the key is in the ignition.

No video yet, I want to test drive and officially test the speed limiter and remote kill functions of the system tomorrow if time permits, and I do want to film that as well!

Today was a great Wagon Wednesday! Took the little one to school and picked her up and did the grocery run today with good old Skiddy. The old lady was laughing at me playing with my phone like a little kid, turning the car on from in the store and whatnot. Not good for gas mileage, but great for the soul...

Thanks,
    Victor
  • How much gas does it take to haul that massive ecomodder sticker around?
    Waaaay above my technical knowledge, but some Cool Stuff!
    Waaaay above my technical knowledge, but some Cool Stuff!

Thanks! I'm quite the dork when it comes to anything electrical, mechanical, or just cool like that! The more complex, the more interesting, as far as I'm concerned..

How much gas does it take to haul that massive ecomodder sticker around?

Haha! I've been told that sticker was good for +5 mpg's! I like how it kinda lets you know what I'm up to, and it makes more sense on the highway, since I drive the speed limit. I'm a bit of a sticker whore anyway - where do I get the civicwagon.com one?

Thanks,
    Victor