so anyone over 150k mi on their wagon has a wobbley roof right?

is there any idea what glue or adhesive they used to hold the skeleton of the roof in place ? we all kno its weak af because most of us have the roof wobble right?
my ribs are so bad in the bench seating and xtra wheel area the metal split i got away with a shit ton of ductape and b weld maybe i need to hit it with some sand paper next time? idk im gunna paint my roof soon and with my speaker situation and roof rack i kinda want to do it right the first time theres a lot of bs that goes into ripping apart the interior and roof rack

Comments

• I do believe there is an epoxy for gluing automotive panels together. As I recall it is not cheap!

Found it. 3M product so it has to be good!
    http://3mcollision.com/3m-panel-bonding-adhesive-08116.html

Sadly it looks like it requires a two chamber caulking gun. Wonder if they sell a smaller package like hardware store epoxy.

Looks like the smallest one they sell uses this tool to apply it.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-08190-Perfo.../dp/B0058X1GG6

Ooo they have one specifically for NVH and that is for roof bows.

http://3mcollision.com/media/documen...50_ml_line.pdf

Huh... cool stuff. Might have to keep that one in the back of my head.
  • Yep, I was just about to post those myself. Panel bonding adhesives by 3M that sorts the hell out of stuff.
  • Now you have me worried. My newest '88 has a solid roof and 148k on the clock. Maybe I should do something before I have it painted?
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    nothing you need to worry about on the outside but i highly reccomend going back inside and taking off the head liner and getting some heavy duty chalk or something of that nature and go back over and all around the roof ribs to give more support so they dont seperate from the roof which is the cause of the roof wobble - the stock heavy duty adhesive dries out and seperates from stress and you have a clapping of the roof metal with the support ribs or the roof collapses in and out making that noise similiar to any sheet metal being moved back and forth. gluck
  • klum wrote: »
    nothing you need to worry about on the outside but i highly reccomend going back inside and taking off the head liner and getting some heavy duty chalk or something of that nature and go back over and all around the roof ribs to give more support so they dont seperate from the roof which is the cause of the roof wobble - the stock heavy duty adhesive dries out and seperates from stress and you have a clapping of the roof metal with the support ribs or the roof collapses in and out making that noise similiar to any sheet metal being moved back and forth. gluck

Yeah, I have that issue with my other '88, like an old style oil-can (if you remember them). The roof actually stays down (deformed) normally, then pulls up, loudly, at highway speed. I've been trying to get my nerve up to remove the headliner. Seems like something breaks every time I try a job like this. :disturbed:
  • I'm wondering what mine looks like, I don't notice any noises or drooping or anything but my car has a lot of miles (362k).
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    MrWhoopee wrote: »
    Yeah, I have that issue with my other '88, like an old style oil-can (if you remember them). The roof actually stays down (deformed) normally, then pulls up, loudly, at highway speed. I've been trying to get my nerve up to remove the headliner. Seems like something breaks every time I try a job like this. :disturbed:
    yea thats what im talking about - i think the only solution is to weld in new midribs but idk of any welder or metal for the job

my head liner cant even use the buttons that hold it up because of the mid rib breaking and what not.
    ive found a shit ton of duct tape does the trick fairly nicely but that only lasts so long.. my whole cars fucked so its just the way it is im just hoping my warning is heeded to save some other poor sap from dealing with it
  • HondammitHondammit Band Wagon
    My wagon had this problem, but instead of glue, I just used Great Stuff expanding foam between the braces and sheetmetal all the way around. From what I can tell, a previous owner might have put heavy stuff on the roof and separated it from the ribbing. I needed to redo the headliner anyway, so while it was out, I foamed the hell out of it with Great Stuff Pro foam. Worked like a charm, two years later and still no issues. Just an idea!