Car only starts after 2 cranks

So my wagon is acting up. The car would only starts after two cranks or more. It has new battery and alternator about two months ago. The weird thing is let's say I drove the car around, turn off and park the car and let's say 15mins later car would start at first try. On the other hand every morning the car would only start after 2nd or third try turning the ignition key. What could be the problem?

i've done some search and it might be the fuel pump relay (common problem on hondas), but doesn't make sense because the car would start at first crank after driving it around. Could I have a small current battery drain?

i do notice the car is missing a few fuses under the dash, I'll take pic tomorrow

Comments

• it sounds like it might be a fuel issue, not getting to the fuel rail/injectors quick enough.
    its possible that the fuel pump is on its way out, which could be why you have to crank it longer when it hasnt been run for a while. try to cycle the key a couple of times to the on position before starting it to see if it starts faster.
  • sayurasemsayurasem New Wagonist
    I see, should I do a fuel filter change too? I got my wagon from a towing yard so I have no idea what the last owner had done/ not done with it.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Just to confirm - you actually hear the click and the prime of the fuel pump?
    Yes but very faintly. I read another thread in this forum about a guy that can't hear the fuel is pumping because of the noise pollution and I have the same problem.
  • quartersquarters Council Member
    Next time your car won't start first try, bash the main fuel relay while cranking. It's located right above the hood release. There are little contacts in the relay that corrode and will only make contact under certain temperatures. I used to have to park in the shade or else it wouldn't start. If bashing it works, you know that's your problem.
    Hi guys the rain hit my area and my wagon just gave out on me.
    the car was completely fine yesterday (by fine I mean it still need 2 or 3 cranks to fire up the engine) and it was light drizzle rain.

-today rain hits and when I tried to crank the first time, everything turns off (radio, dash light, ceiling light went out).
    -I disconnected the car battery for a minute and reconnected to "reset" the car.
    -when I turn the key to the first click everything is normal (dash, radio, headlights can be turn on).
    -when I engage the clutch and turn the key all the way everything turns off (dash, radio, anything electronic).
    -when I re-insert the key without "resetting" the battery, nothing happened (dash, radio, headlight will not turn on)
    -after resetting the battery I'm back to square one. Dash, radio and headlights are working on the first turn of key... But when I engage the clutch and turn the key all the way everything turns off.
    -I already "reset" the batteries three times and no luck. Basically if I turn the key all the way and engage the clutch everything just shorted and turns off. The only way to try to crank is to unplug battery and reconnect the battery.

I suspect an electrical short somewhere and caused by the rain. Also I noticed water is leaking from above my pedals. I fear this is the culprit for creating the short (duhh because all the wires are sitting ontop of the pedals). I checked the fuses, none of them is blown except for number 7 and 9 is missing fuse.

anybody had experienced this before?
  • What do you mean by 7 and 9 missing? Are you looking at the main fuses in the engine bay as well?

Chuck a space heater under there and dry things out see that gets you anywhere. It definitely sounds like a short somewhere, possibly due to that moisture but do check the engine bay fuses too if you've not already.
    The fuse box underneath the steering wheel is missing slot number 7 and slot 9 fuse.
  • merged threads
  • And the fusebox in the engine bay?
    So towed the car and went to a shop, turns out its my battery clamp is bad. Because I bought the clamps from Walmart where it's painted black and red and it's no good. So he brushed the clamps, re-attached the wires and clamp it to the battery and viola it starts again! The sad part is I paid 50 bucks for a 1.5mile towing
  • Ha! I hate when that happens. An ex girlfriend had a 240sx that she sold, it wouldn't start, I didn't have time to work on it and at a glance I didn't know what was up. This was years back before I leveled some skills. Either way the dude that bought it came over, tightened up a loose wire that was causing the short, popped a new main fuse in, and drove it off. She was pissed.
  • swap the main fuel relay
  • Or solder as needed. I'm going to be undertaking this soon myself.
    http://www.diymyhonda.com/civic/hard-starts-main-relay-repair/

I'll probably photograph and post it up here as a guide as well, largely borrowing from that one. Just so I'm not infringing on that dudes pics. But he does write it up quite nicely.

Right now mine starts on the 4th or 5th time turning over.

Also, from one of my favorite youtubers, he's even talking about a 91 civic here. Though his soldering skills are whack =D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viIZ8k60awY
  • I always try to start with the cheapest, most dumb idea as to whatever can be wrong. It'll save you time and money time after time.
    sayurasem wrote: »
    So towed the car and went to a shop, turns out its my battery clamp is bad. Because I bought the clamps from Walmart where it's painted black and red and it's no good. So he brushed the clamps, re-attached the wires and clamp it to the battery and viola it starts again! The sad part is I paid 50 bucks for a 1.5mile towing
  • Well I wrestled that damn main relay fuse out and guess what, all the connections are super clean and well soldered. It looks like it's aftermarket as it doesn't have any print on the case like the other ones. So it was probably replaced in recent years prior to my purchase of the vehicle. I'm almost bummed, I was looking forward to something to repair.