Headlight Buzzer - Legit Wiring

For those of us of the more forgetful nature, or used to automatic headlights in the fancier cars, here's a super simple headlight buzzer mod. There is a tool less way to do it that involves wrapping wires around fuses, but that can screw up the socket and I'd rather just have an actual module rather than a ghetto fix.

67.jpg

As you can see, the module is dead simple. It's a little piezo electric buzzer, some short bits of wire, two connectors and some heat shrink tubing.

I won't go into the detail of soldering here, (I think Killa might have taken some video while he was over today when we were setting this up for him, if he wants I'm sure he'll post it as a reply here) basically just tin all your leads, solder the wire to the buzzer, heat shrink that. Put more heat shrink on the wire, solder your connectors, slide the heat shrink up and shrink it on down.

After that, where to put this fine dandy?

68.jpg

Right there! Like I said in the pic, this is labeled as "optional" in the fsm. Maybe someone else knows what goes there? Perhaps some higher trim level option or jdm/edm stuff?

Either way, just access your fuse panel under the steering wheel and at the top of it you should see these empty sockets. You simply connect the little piezo module to them, you may need to flip it if it doesn't come on, but beyond that you should now have an annoying little reminder if your lights are on and the engine is off.

Tiny, and easily tucked away.

69.jpg

Anyone who took this out because they thought it was annoying, good for you. Why you're bothering to troll this post says more about you than it does anyone else.

Thanks, and as always let me know if I've left out anything or if you have any questions.

Comments

• A small addition on why you should not do the bs method of wrapping a wire around a fuse. There are cheap alternatives if you can't solder or don't have the tools.

• NobiZeroNobiZero New Wagonist
    I tried this on my '91 and it didn't work. I left the red lead in the port on the right, and plugged the black lead into the open far right port at the bottom of your second picture(there are 3 ports, you have a lead already in the port on the far left) and it works fine.
  • Take a picture of your fuse box, maybe the layout is different from 90 to 91?
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    thats gotta be a plug for a oem foglight id assume! would make sense if it clicked on and off with headlights right? good call i never saw this before. i never trip off draining a battery though ive done fred flinstone methods always tried and true.
  • I'm not entirely certain what it's for, I'll have to check what the fuse cover said, it was sort of ambiguous from what I recall though. It might be for some additional lights, but the power cuts out to those terminals when the motor is running, otherwise that thing would be squealing the entire time the lights are on.

Though there would be a relay involved for the fog lights right? So maybe it flips over to there. Either way, not sure, and the factory service manual isn't very clear on it either. If anyone knows for certain, chime in.
  • NobiZeroNobiZero New Wagonist
    Sorry it took so long, my phone is being a putz and won't take a good picture. I wrote on yours where I plugged my buzzer in instead. Still works perfectly with headlights or marker lights on.57.jpg
  • Interesting. Good info though, I wonder what that other port is for. Either way, glad that works.