The official "What Else To Do While Swapping In Coilovers" thread..

I want to start hoarding parts that will aid in a little slammage and being new to Hondas, I'd like to get a list going of other things to do "while you're in there" kinda thing.. I don't like half assing and prefer to do it right the first time.

So along with the actual coilovers themselves what else is recommended, needed, or should be addressed as well? Mounts or bushings, control arms, camber kits..? I'm not looking to autocross or win any Stance Wars competitions but I do want be moderately low with a nice ride and proper suspension geometry.

Comments

• VladiVladi Senior Wagonist
    What I recommend;
    Just coilovers and camber kits (and be sure to check all the bushings in the control arms before you start on the job.)

Needed;
    Coilover kit
    Camber kits
    And dont forget 4 new bolts, the ones that go through the control arms and coilovers, they break sometimes so having them laying around is the best $15.- spend ever.

I'm not a fan of aluminium-control arms (the cheaper types) myself
  • NZ-DB8RNZ-DB8R Moderator
    Id pay close attention to the RCA bushes, they wear out faster when lowered so if they are already looking a bit dodgy before you lower they will get worse fast.
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    Just a question that I will also face in the long run - if I will install coilovers and lower my car a bit, do I really need camber kits if I do want to keep my geometry normal? This means I do want to keep the square look without getting negative camber.
  • FakeJDMEF8FakeJDMEF8 Senior Wagonist
    You will absolutely want camber kits for the front and the rear.

Depending on how much you have, how long you'll have the car, and how much you care, you could do a lot while the coilovers are out.

End links, ball joints, wheel bearings, bushings, rta bushings, toe links (could do adjustable ones, too), sway bushings, cv joints, new hardware (oem honda, I agree), steering rack boots, and while you're in there, maybe the brakes if they need tending to.

I'd buy all oem honda, energy bushings and rta bushings, and I've had great luck with the skunk 2 pro ii upper a arms/camber and k sport rear camber/toe kit.

To do it right you'll probably drop some coin, but then you'll never have to do it again.

Anyways...things to consider.
  • I ended up going with Mugen for the RTA bushings. I heard that using urethane bushings for the RTAs actually negatively affects the function of the rear suspension, due to the fact that you actually want a little bit of flexibility there. Anyone else have any experience with this?
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    If you are swapping in coil overs, please do something to properly secure your brake lines. Most coil over units do not come with the brackets.
  • NZ-DB8RNZ-DB8R Moderator
    Tadas wrote: »
    Just a question that I will also face in the long run - if I will install coilovers and lower my car a bit, do I really need camber kits if I do want to keep my geometry normal? This means I do want to keep the square look without getting negative camber.

Depends how much you lower it, if you are only doing a slight drop you might get away with it, though I would get rear camber arms as the rear gets a lot of camber when lowered. The front not so much unless you drop the height quite a bit. I never ran front camber arms and my Shuttle was fine even when lowered quite a lot
  • 503Wagon503Wagon moderator
    Haydz wrote: »
    If you are swapping in coil overs, please do something to properly secure your brake lines. Most coil over units do not come with the brackets.

THIS...And i'll second the rear trailing arm bushings. Those are ALMOST always trashed. Rear control arm bushings as well. You will absolutely need front adjustable upper control arms as well as rear upper adjustable control arms. You're camber will be pretty negative when you lower it.
  • therichisgoodtherichisgood New Wagonist
    Some sweet info in here, thanks guys! So now that we've established what parts are needed, what are some of the better branded stuff to go with? Some of you mentioned Mugen rear trailing arm bushings and things but what about for the rest? I would prefer to go with OEM bushings over poly but are they still made? etc etc..
    But what about where aftermarket stuff is needed (like the coilovers themselves or with camber adjustable UCAs), what have you guys run, how's the quality? etc etc..