Trying to figure out what spring rates to order with Progress CS-II Coilovers

Progress offers several preset options for spring rate combos with their coilover setups. Here they are, with a brief paraphrasing of what they suggest each application for.

STREET PERFORMANCE:
350# front / 250# rear
(recommended for sport-tuned daily drivers)

STREET & SPORT
350# front / 350# rear
(more aggressive / transitions faster, designed for track use and hard driving on smooth roads)

AUTOCROSS & DRAG LAUNCH:
350# front / 500# rear
(track setup, uncomfortable, choppy ride on highway)

TRACK DAY & B-SERIES
450# front / 450# or 500# rear
(another track setup, recommended for cars with larger engine swaps to accommodate the extra weight)

I'm trying to decide which setup to go with for my RT wagon. These setups were designed with Civic/Crx in mind, and I imagine the 4WD wagon is quite a bit heavier, especially in the rear.

This car won't be a daily driver, but most of its driving time will be on the street. The roads in my area are actually not too bad, and given the extra weight of the wagon / my occasional desire to tow my trailer, I'm leaning towards the 350 / 350 setup. Ideally, I'd like a firm ride, good solid feel of the road, but not too harsh or bouncey. I can deal with a bit of a stiff ride, but I don't want the ass bouncing all over the road like my old hatch used to do!

I'd really like some input from anyone who has experience with choosing spring rates for the wagon. Will this setup be too hard, too soft, fairly comfortable, will it perform well?

Comments

• bkmc24bkmc24 Senior Wagonist
    Don't do the first or third. The weight is a bit more and supposedly the rear is the issue. I'm pretty sure the 350/350 would be a solid start but if you don't plan on DD'ing, can't hurt to go to the 450/450.
  • quartersquarters Council Member
    450/450... that would be quite stiff for street duty.
    i'm currenly 250/250, but I deal with crappy roads, and would like stiffer.
    350/350 should be perfect for you. even 350/250 would be good. If you add a rear swaybar it essentially has the same effect as increasing the rear spring rate (both shocks will absorb a certain amount of impact rather than just one that hits the bump)

the OEM wagon spring rates are unknown and there has only been speculation out there as to what they are. In my experiences, the OEM ones feel like around 180front and 100/150 progressive in the rear, even softer on the 2wd model.

my .02. don't go higher than 350 for the street. sway bars, tires, more important.
  • NZ-DB8RNZ-DB8R Moderator
    Honestly the spring rate isnt go to change a lot in terms of ride quality. Its the valving of the shock, if the shock is valved to match the spring rate the ride will be good, if the valving is shit the ride will be shit.

I run 550 front, 400 rear in my ITR and its great on the street, a bit soft for the track. And a wagon isnt overly more heavy than a sedan so I wouldnt worry about that being a factor
    Because those shocks are NOT dampening/rebound adjustable, I would say go with a lower spring rate.

NZ roads are nice and glassy, narrow, but smooth. It really comes down to what the driver wants. If it's NOT a daily driver, but is a street car, i would say go 350/350. on the street i'm a huge fan of progressive springs for ride quality, that doesn't seem to be an option in this case.

IMO, the 350/350 is what I would go with. I have not seen the conditions of your roads, but I know up here, that's as high as I would go, no matter what the shock valving.
  • I appreciate all the input guys! I was really leaning towards the 350/350 setup, for many of the same reasons some of you pointed out. The roads here aren't too bad, but they are far from "perfect." We do get the occasional snow/ice in the winter (actually just had it three times in less than two months) so there are some potholes to watch out for. As far as I know, the dampers are NOT adjustable, but I did not think of the fact that they are probably all valved the same, no matter what spring combo you choose.

I'll probably stay away from the 450/450, since i'll still drive it on the roads / highways, maybe even a road trip or two to the midwest, and I doubt I will really make it to the track often. Or at all. At least if I do, it won't be competitively, just for fun.

Also, I like the idea of being able to raise it back up a bit when I need/want to (towing / camping / winter driving), and still have a somewhat tolerable ride quality.

I was leaning towards 350/350, and it seems that would be a good choice.
  • NZ-DB8RNZ-DB8R Moderator
    quarters wrote: »
    NZ roads are nice and glassy, narrow, but smooth.

HAH!! I wish! So very far from the truth :D

But yea if its just a basic cheap set of coilovers for for a soft rate otherwise the ride will be harsh. I had Tein and they were the worst suspension ever!
    I had Skunk2 Coilover sleeves on Koni shocks on my Shuttle and they were 450/330 and that was great, nice and soft and smooth. With full adjustable coilovers generally they are valved harder so the softer 350/350 would be about right
    Maybe I was just driving around the nice roads of NZ when I was there :) friggin narrow lanes though!