Power steering question

When we first got the wagon , I noticed how light the steering was and found it had power steering .I thought it was working , but never took a look at it till now .I am fixing everything it needs to get a safety check done and while replacing the driver side tie rod end ,I noticed the power steering pump belt is missing .Also there is no fluid in the container .My question is : is this a common thing to do if your power steering starts to leak ? Or can i assume that the rack has been replaced with a manual rack ? I cant see where the hoses go in to the rack yet , so i really cant tell .But if it is ok to run a power rack without the hydraulics , i would like to get rid of the pump and plumbing while i am at it .Any help is appreciated .

Comments

• CharbCharb Administrator
    For starters, never assume!

You're on the right track. Chances are if someone went to the trouble of swapping the rack, they would have removed the pump as well. But, you never know. So check plumbing first.

We did a DOHC swap in mine like 10 years ago before there was much info. I removed my pump. But we plumbed it to the resivoir still. I would do the same if you're gonna leave that rack. Admittedly I don't know 100% how the racks differ. But it seems to me you'd want to keep fluid in there.
  • wftbwftb Wagonist
    Thanks for the reply .I did find one thread where the pump was removed and the plumbing was just looped around .I bought a mustang II rack once and the only difference between manual and power was some seals and fittings mounted for hoses .So i think i can remove all this stuff and just go manual , it steers really easy anyways .