Wagovan From Florida. RAGTOP!

1988 Honda Civic Wagovan!
Just got my wagonvan on 1/22/14 it's my 3rd wagon and by far the cleanest. It's has 127,000.00 miles on it and runs great. View things I need to fix buy what old car doesn't. Has a rust spot and a angled dent on the passenger side quarter panel. luckily I am learning auto body and seems like a easy fix. Going to do the basic tune up this weekend and next it on the body work. The first owner put in cruise control but there is no switch to activate it , I will put one in. and a passenger mirror. The 2nd owner put a horn in it which I will be taking out and replacing with a stock maybe 2 stock ones.

Any suggestion on the first things I should do. Cheap simple cool things. More pictures to come.
here is after paint and all put back together, not yet wet sanded, buffed or waxed. there is a multicolor pearl that you can't see in pictures. here a before and so far. this picture will be updated every time it looks different.

18.png

Comments

• looks like a clean wagon. But we only needed one thread for it!

Wheels and a bit of suspension is always a good way to start.
  • Looks like a great start, i dont wanna tell you what you should do to your car, but definitely don't go cheap on anything. Ends up being a waste of cash in the long run lol. Cant wait to see how this turns out
  • UPDATE!! grinder, drugless, body filled and premiered my rust not sure when I'm going to paint it. just had to get that cancer out of there. as i was doing that i noticed more rust on the passenger rear wheel well underneath the plastic cover just on the outside. here are the pictures from today... i skipped a view pictures i was to in the moment. oh BTW this was my first ever body work that i finished all the way through with no help.
    outside view rust hole
    392.jpg
    inside view
    393.jpg
    grind away rust
    394.jpg
    DURAGLASS
    395.jpg
    sanded and premiered the duraglass and primer
    396.jpg
  • jongsrjongsr Wagonist
    Damn, good sh!t! Looks great and lucky that it was a small area. I agree completely with the wheels and suspension but cheap usually isn't a word to describe either. Lol
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    Nice Score & welcome!! Good looking wagon. I went through the same repair.

I did a little write up...
    http://www.civicwagon.com/showthread.php?16929-Be-Advised!-Tail-Light-Area-Rust-May-Be-Lurking!&highlight=cancer

Good luck with your new wagon :)
    Excited to see more.
  • today i changed the oil, filter, valve cover gasket and spark plug wires. I also clean the spire tire area. here are the pictures. Oh looks like my motor is pretty clean. I've always wanted to try wipe new so here it is. looks pretty good to me didn't really work on the door molding though.432.jpg433.jpg434.jpg
  • NorthxNWagonNorthxNWagon New Wagonist
    Sweet rig man. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.
  • Good start!
  • don't have any pictures for todays fix. went to the junk yard got the rear door locks, the part that you have to touch to lock and unlock the door. also got a radian from an Accord because my stock one didn't have a cassette and i dread the radio. hmmmm oh also got a float for the due tank from an ef. found out it doesn't fit and mine was a simple fix. just hat to solder the tiny wire back onto the metal. tomorrow should be another fun day for the wagon. Haven't come up with a name yet. ill lead that up to my friends.
  • Here are most recent things done to my wagovan which I found out that i have a really rare rear reclining back seat bench, sadly I don't like the color and will be probably swapping it at some point. I want to black suede my interior soon. full door panels (quote $75), dash (quote $150), the pillar plastics I can do myself at about $10 a yard MSRP or $7 with some coupons. If anyone knows where to get black pre moldedcarpet or carpet that is easy to mold OR a good clean lasting way to DYE my current blue carpet. Oh and U bought a DA map light After I did the headliner, Go figure huh.

​About a week ago I decide to redo my headliner, never done one before but I used this D.I.Y. thread, http://www.civicwagon.com/showthread.php?2581-recover-headliner
    Has some grass on it.
    684.jpg685.jpg

​Also did some prep work for paint now just going to save up money for the paint. I'm going to go with the stock polar white http://www.civicwagon.com/showthread.php?2272-(EE-EY-EF)-Paint-Names-and-Codes ​and some blue pearl and MAYBE some gold still undecided about the gold. 686.jpg687.jpg688.jpg689.jpg
    ​Skipped the Body Filler Picture. Sorry
    690.jpg
    Its been about 4 days in between these pictures
    691.jpg692.jpg693.jpg694.jpg695.jpg696.jpg
    BODY FILLER didn't forget this time.
    697.jpg698.jpg699.jpg
    700.jpg
    Put in some fiber glass that I found laying around in a buddys shops who makes stand up paddleboards http://cayoboatworks.com/home
    701.jpg
    Body work done now for taping.
    702.jpg
    703.jpg704.jpg
    Primer Time
    705.jpg
    This was the dent that in the picture above.
    706.jpg
    All done primer and guide coat.
    707.jpg708.jpg
    709.jpg

• VladiVladi Senior Wagonist
    GJ on rust repairs!
  • btbammerbtbammer Wagonist
    Dang man good work! Cant wait to see the paint! Subscribed.
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Nice body work! Can't wait to see some liquid sprayed on there.
  • ee4wagoonee4wagoon Wagonist
    It was painted on my birthday 5/25 but i finally got around to updating this thread. I also picked up a ragtop from a local and user on this forum who sold his car and the new owner totaled it.got the rag for $300
    498.jpg499.jpg

i took these interior pictures day of purchase and decide to throw them up. much hasn't changed just cleaned it up a little also took the carpet out and cleaned that and the inside chassis.
    500.jpg501.jpg502.jpg503.jpg504.jpg505.jpg506.jpg
    507.jpg508.jpg509.jpg

next ill probably throw the ragtop in and get some cloth seats hot weather i am sticking to my seats. hopefully fine some really clean carpet some where
  • heres me painting my bumpers.
    35.jpg

it came out really good. i did a gloss black which i will be doing to all the trim on the windows and doors. should be doing it next week.

36.jpg
    heres a 3 dollar mod i did with a white out marker pen.

37.jpg

went to the junk yard and scored a cargo cover from an explorer. got lucky and it was the same color.

38.jpg

i updated all my lights in my car with LEDs and I did the corner lights amber provided by the write up in body work and cosmetic modifactions post here on CW

39.jpg
    40.jpg

41.jpg
  • Mr.TMr.T Band Wagon
    Nice work!!! :encouragement:
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Looking good dude!
  • chaoschaos New Wagonist
    Wow that is some awesome progress. What body filler have you been using? I have always worried about using anything because of bad experiences with bondo (which I know is the worst to use)
  • Bondo is just a brand of body filler. I used SMART at school not sure what I used when I did the paint job. its in the garage Ill have to look next time.
  • Alright got an update. After 2 days and about 4 hours of work. I got a ragtop. I bought this ragtop from a local wagon. The person who had the wagon and who is a user sold the wagon to another local and they person got totaled. So i got lucky and got the top for $300.00 it was missing a inside frame piece which i made from aluminum. it didn't have foam tape on it anymore just pieces of it. it was 1/8 by 1/8 foam tape so i used some silicon to hold it down. heres a pic. will post more when i get a higher shot. 247.jpg248.jpg
  • Would love to see more pics, looks sweet!
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Ah, so you're the guy who got jolly's ragtop. Nice addition!
  • hahah bam yes I am. i assume you tried to get it also?
  • 3rd4ce3rd4ce Council Member
    ee4wagoon wrote: »
    hahah bam yes I am. i assume you tried to get it also?

i wish i could get my hands on that same style ragtop...

i live up n Spring Hill, Florida with my rt4wd ciVic Wagon i'd love to see yours in person the pictures of rust repair looks great..!!
  • JHMEE4JHMEE4 New Wagonist
    This should've been an option. What's it look like inside?
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    ee4wagoon wrote: »
    hahah bam yes I am. i assume you tried to get it also?

No, DRMORTY was telling me the whole story about that car getting sold and wrecked and parted.
  • Oh got ya yeah i called when i was there. i know he wanted but i had to snag it. I've snagged a few things from him in the past. but hey it when to good hands and a good looking wagon :;):
  • CitySushiCitySushi New Wagonist
    Looks clean. I'm diggin the hx wheels and ragtop.
  • drfinkdrfink Wagonist
    I love the ragtop. I have the wagon specific one bookmarked that you posted on the civic wagon facebook group.

Did you lose anything as far as chassis rigidity?