My first RT

Hey everyone, name is Ryan. Been a while since I have posted on here, good to be back. I just picked up my first rt4wd wago...I have been into EF's for years and the RT has always eluded me. I have owned a few fwd wagons, and every other EF chassis. I actually happen to own every chassis currently which is also a first for me.
So i picked this 90 rt4wd up for $950, which was a smoking deal imo. It came with a set of extra doors, a slew of interior/motor parts, a spare hood and hatch also. She runs great, was told smokes a little up top sometimes and may need a new clutch. The only downside is it does need a windshield (doesn't have one at all lol)....I am very happy with it, I hope to be able to get it back up to par and it will be my dd more than likely.
So far, the plan is different wheel and tire setup, some adjustable struts on the stock springs and just clean her up as much as possible.

On to the pics, still on the trailer

524.jpg

525.jpg

526.jpg

527.jpg

Here's a quick pic of the other 3 EF's
528.jpg

Comments

• Nice, for 950 I agree that's a score. That's a lot of efs for one front yard haha
  • chaoschaos New Wagonist
    Thanks! Lol if that was my front yard my wife would lose her mind!!! That would be back behind my shop.
  • another NW wagon in the works, nice!
    Yup! I'm in Idaho... Haven't had a chance to do anything with her yet.. To much family at my house lol
    Cleaned up the bay just a little today, put on a z6 intake mani and b16 throttle body.. Also the reverse lights and o2 sensor wires were cut so fixed those and put in a new o2 sensor. Not sure if I wanna keep the intake, took it off my sedan along with the vc
    38.jpg
  • i knew id find what i was looking for here! so disregard the post on IMS lol. sweet pick up and welcome back to the wagon world! picked it up for $50 less the the one i got not to long ago. its nice to know you can still find them reasonably priced. and also from following your hatchie and sedan thread i will be watching this one too! keep up the good work!
    Lol I posted on IMS anyways mike...Yeah I was stoked to find this one for a good price, I mean some parts of it do reflect the price...but it's all fixable stuff.
    Heres some more updates
    Here is how she sits right now, You can see in the first pic that the molding was scuffed up and the rt4wd sticker messed up, luckily there was a perfect one on one of the extra doors, along with a perfect door panel because that was pretty gnarly too as you can see in the pics. Also put in a windshield.
    174.jpg
    175.jpg

The old door panel
    176.jpg

used some extra piping and kept the stock airbox, replaced the fuel filter, plugs and master cylinder.
    177.jpg

Got a passenger side mirror from Shea
    178.jpg

those dumbass stickers will come off soon
    179.jpg

For some reason the car has an ebay adjustable cam gear on it also, so I will be getting an oem one.

On the way currently for her is:
    K&N replacement filter
    New front UCA's
    EMUSA LCA's
    Kenwood 6.5" front speakers
    new tbelt/waterpump/tensioner
    thermostat/gasket
    radiator cap
  • Great transformation so far. Just a little time goes a long way.
    Must be nice with all the other EFs :]
    Looking for more!
    Thanks man, finally was able to get some more stuff done last night....with holiday season and a newborn its hard to get some wrench time lol

I replaced the tbelt, waterpump, tensioner, upper and lower radiator hoses with gates hoses, alternator belt, wires with some oem ones I had, main relay with one I resoldered, thermostat, rad cap, headlights with halogen 5900k hid like bulbs, had two leaky injectors also so replaced the o rings seals on all, and the radiator because the one in it didn't fit with the oem rad stays.

Heres a starting picture, already had the heatshield and ps pump off
    436.jpg

Here's all the new timing components on, including an oem cam gear, not the shitty ebay adjustable that was on it
    437.jpg

New hoses and belt
    438.jpg

All buttoned up
    439.jpg

Also when I bought the car it had no ps belt, the guy said something about the previous owner replacing the crank pulley with a d15 one, so I got a d15 ps belt, and it's too short the d16a6 belt is also too short... Any ideas? I'm thinking maybe just take the belt back and go through different honda belts until I find one that about two inches longer.
    More progress: got the uca's and LCA's on, also noticed the pads and rotors were done so I replaced those also and bled the brake system. Also noticed all four corners have Goodridge steel braided brake lines.
    Got her fired up, and drove her a couple miles... Needless to say I'm Freakin stoked.

Old pads and rotors
    489.jpg
    490.jpg

New stuff
    491.jpg

Uca's and new front brakea
    492.jpg
    493.jpg

Old beat to crap ucas and ball joint... Sooo jmd
    494.jpg
    495.jpg
    496.jpg

LCA's
    497.jpg
    498.jpg

499.jpg

All in all I am very happy with how well it runs and drives so far. It definitely needs an alignment, and new tires in the fourteen. Also someone decided to hack the stereo harness up... Seems like 1 out of 3 hondas I have owned is like that, I honestly don't understand it. The harness adapters are like seven bucks.
    Installed a new deck and door speakers, had to rewire everything because it was hacked up back into the dash. Including the cig lighter. Also put blue led bulbs in the cluster.

The before, no idea what gets into people
    485.jpg
    486.jpg

The sweet switch that was connected to the fan and didn't even work because nothing was grounded
    487.jpg

The stock harness that needed wired in
    488.jpg

New deck, alpine sat/bt/ipod/aux
    489.jpg

And the cluster lights done
    490.jpg

the existing antenna was all messed up, end was chewed off and wasn't connected to the outside antenna. So I pulled it out(pain in the ass) and put a brand new oem one in that I had laying around (also kind of a pita)
    491.jpg

also, Stumbled upon this, and figures why not.. It was cheap

492.jpg
  • Nice progress man, just recently installed a new antenna on my sedan. Ended up using a coat hanger to feed it through, made it a lot easier.
    Thanks man! Yeah, I wanted to use a hanger but had two problems... One- no metal hanger anywhere two- someone ripped off the old Antenna at the bottom and the top, so it made it very difficult lol
  • looks good man !
  • Nice to see someone else smitten with the 4th Gen bug.

I'm a '91 EX away from completing my collection of '91 TOL Civics.
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    Nice work so far! Keep it up.
    LowFlyin' wrote: »
    Nice to see someone else smitten with the 4th Gen bug.

I'm a '91 EX away from completing my collection of '91 TOL Civics.
    It's definitely an addiction! All 91's would be nice. Mine are from 88-91 lol
    Nice work so far! Keep it up.
    Thanks alot man

The clutch gave up on her finally, and its been a busy couple of weeks...but I finally got around to pulling the motor out
    Here it is all pulled out
    194.jpg
    195.jpg

You can see the one that clearly has no rings left to prevent oil from getting up top
    196.jpg

The head looked almost brand new, and the hg came off super easy also
    197.jpg

I have another a6 motor (no burnt rings lol) that I put a z6 headgasket on and the newer head. Also doing new t belt, wp, and tensioner and already got the new exedy clutch/pilot bearing/throw out bearing on. Just have to do the timing components and mate the trans to the block.

Also I stumbled onto a wagon at the local pick a part, and it had full grey interior. So I took all of it, and there will soon be no more blue in my wago.

And what this wagon will be used for....rallyx, since mine wasnt up and running yet and the first race was here. Shenrie let me co drive with him. Funnest car honda ever made, especially to drive "fast" on an offroad course.

heres a pic of shea's wagon after a rather muddy run lol
    198.jpg
  • Great stuff man
  • ^^^ good to see my old wagon still being used ! and progress on your wagon looks good. hoping here in a year or so i can get back into another one
    Great stuff man
    Thanks dude!
    ^^^ good to see my old wagon still being used ! and progress on your wagon looks good. hoping here in a year or so i can get back into another one
    Yeah, its definitely being used and also taken care of. One of the funnest cars I have ever driven, I hope mine will be just as fun. You'll get another wagon man, stuff happens...but another will come up

Not much progress, I've only gotten the rear plastics/carpet and seats in so far. The headrests were missing and I didn't want to put blue ones back on so I searched ebay and found some edm rear headrests for $30.
    348.jpg

Also picked up a set of RT wheels with brand new tires.
    Update, Cleaned her up and snapped a pic...not too shabby for a rally wagon lol
    250.jpg

251.jpg
    252.jpg

All Grey interior swapped in minus front seats, center console and carpet
    253.jpg
    254.jpg
    255.jpg

There was a rallycross a few weeks ago, within the first 400ft the lower balljoint pulled out of the boot and sent the car skidding/digging into the dirt. Also ripped the axle to shreds and mucked up the fender some. New balljoints, tie rod ends and upper ball joints and its back on the road.
    This was after I dug sinch inches of dirt up lol
    256.jpg
    257.jpg
    258.jpg

Shenrie was out there to help me pull it onto the car trailer thankfully!

And I added another to the stable.
    259.jpg
    All cleaned up and at formfest 2.jpeg
  • jongsrjongsr Wagonist
    Awesome, rally cross looks fun! Nice red wag also. What's the size of your wheels and tires on the red wagon? It looks mean!
    Thanks man!! Rallycross is freakin blast. The most fun that I have ever had in a vehicle lol. The read wagon is rolling on 15x7.5 +32 konig lightspeeds and 205/50 nitto neogens
    The rear bumper was kind of mucked up, I just half way sticker bombed it for now with a bunch that I had laying around. They all will come off pretty easy, feeling out if i like it right now. Also put on my jdm outter tails
    357.jpg

Also the dohc zc was running like poop, was off 1.5 teeth on the exhaust cam...fixed that and cleaned the bay up
    358.jpg

My ricey momo tuner wheel and nrg hub/quick release
    359.jpg
    360.jpg
    OEM clear corners to compliment the H4 zc headlights.
    374.jpg

Also have these to throw on...
    375.jpg
    29.png
    So I raised the wagon up a smidge and installed the drop forks. 133.jpg

Also ordered some new parts
    ES sway bar end links/bushings
    BWR LCA's
    Skunk2 Alpha EF half Radiator
    Skunk2 magnetic oil pan/trans drain plugs
    BWR 12" slim fan
    Got a nice list of parts ordered
    Fidanza 7lbs flywheel
    exedy clutch kit
    ES sway bar end links/bushings
    BWR LCA's
    Skunk2 Alpha EF half Radiator
    Skunk2 magnetic oil pan/trans drain plugs
    BWR 12" slim fan

Got the radiator in, new rotors and pads on, new sway bar bushings in, and a new cai with intake bypass filter. I also preloaded the springs to give it a little more cornering power.
    636.jpg
    637.jpg

Old bushings
    638.jpg

New bushings
    639.jpg

Also got an oem oil pan gasket and 5 qts of Honda Synthetic blend, Thats next on the list for this one.

The blue one is due for new tires, got some brand new 185/75/14 for $160 shipped.
  • JHMEE4JHMEE4 New Wagonist
    Hey sweet, we both have DOHC ZC'd red RT Wagons. I'm liking that intake man, I have a little short ram. Sucks!
    Awesome! I love mine. Does your intake at least skirt the battery?