Seat Belt Harness Bar

I know I've seen someone with an NRG harness bar installed in a wagon, but I've got a couple of questions for anyone that might know about them:

1. How does it install? Does it use the existing B-pillar seatbelt mount points? If so, would it work on a '90 wagon with auto seatbelts?
2. Would the fitment be off since the bar was designed for other ef civics and not the wagon?

Thanks!

Comments

• It would surely be a cosmetic item only due to the fact it bolts in rather than is welding in like a good roll cage?
    I wouldnt be trusting my life to a questionably flimsy bit of tube bolted to my car
  • Do you think the safety of one of those bars would be an issue, whether welded in or bolted?
  • Well they support a harness which would only be used on a racetrack, so at speed everything will bend and twist and bolted connections would be the first thing to let go. When welded in as part of a rollcage it becomes part of the structure of the car so should be fine

On the road it would be silly to use a harness as you cannot check blindspots etc when the harness is done up tightly (loose harness is just as dangerous)
  • Very true...I'm really just exploring ways of getting rid of the automatic seatbelts in a '90 wagon. I haven't been able to find anyone that has successfully done it...may have to just give it a shot and part out my '89 wagon instead of selling it.
  • Is it not simply a matter of removing your belts and bolting in some normal ones? Surely all mounting holes are there as it wouldnt make sense for honda to make a completly different chassis without them
  • NZ-DB8R wrote: »
    Is it not simply a matter of removing your belts and bolting in some normal ones? Surely all mounting holes are there as it wouldnt make sense for honda to make a completly different chassis without them

That's what I thought, but the little information that is out there seems to say otherwise. It seems there actually is a different chassis between 88/89 and 90/91 wagons, and only in the U.S. (as Canada had no auto seatbelts in the 90-91 wagons). The mounting holes/plate are not present in the B-pillar at all on 90-91 wagons, and the bolt location on the floor is either non-existent or way off. But, so far all the info I have found is simply people saying one thing or another without pics.

If I part out my 89 wagon I will definitely be taking some pictures to illustrate the difference (if it's real).

I'm also curious if I would be able to swap out the doors from an 88/89 wagon to a 90/91. I've heard that this is possible on other EF civics, but a slight difference in design results in not having an airtight seal between the door and chassis. I wonder if the wagons would have the same problem...may make another thread about this question.
  • NZ-DB8R wrote: »
    Well they support a harness which would only be used on a racetrack, so at speed everything will bend and twist and bolted connections would be the first thing to let go. When welded in as part of a rollcage it becomes part of the structure of the car so should be fine

On the road it would be silly to use a harness as you cannot check blindspots etc when the harness is done up tightly (loose harness is just as dangerous)

You should have your mirrors adjusted better. There is no reason you should need to turn your face completely to the rear of the car to check blind spots.

I laugh everytime I see someone ahead of me on the highway turn around so far that I can see their whole face just to make a lane change.
  • LowFlyin' wrote: »
    You should have your mirrors adjusted better. There is no reason you should need to turn your face completely to the rear of the car to check blind spots.

I laugh everytime I see someone ahead of me on the highway turn around so far that I can see their whole face just to make a lane change.

Mirrors have nothing to do with it, when you are strapped in by harnesses you cannot move enough to see safely at intersections etc
    Many road registered race cars over here have both harnesses and regular seat belts. Harness for the race, seatbelt for road driving.
    Also harnesses shouldnt be used on a car without a roll cage as in the event of a roll over you are strapped into the upright postion and the roof crushes you. With a normal seatbelt you can fold over and avoid be squashed :)

Also harnesses would mean you cannot use the rear seats, so whats the point having a Wagon?
  • VLxTurtleVLxTurtle New Wagonist
    I installed my NRG universal harness bar on my 89 wag with no problem, not sure how it would fit on a 90/91 but all the holes bolted up with spacers an washers. some people told me is unsafe to have it without a roll cage but ive done a little bit of research and have read that they arent unsafe if installed properly. Yes its always better to have it with a roll cage for the extra protection but without one its still safe to use in my opinion.

heres a pic of my set up, if you need better pic let me know.

21.jpg
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    Do you have any more pics of how this is bolted in? and one with your harnesses in? i kinda want something for rallyxing
  • PrennroPrennro Council Member
    This setup is perfect for rally x or auto x! I had the same setup in my EG. It usesethe upper seatbelt bolts to bolt on upper bar brackets and then uses the rear outside bolt of the front seat slider bracket to bolt adjustable support bars that attach at each end by threaded hiem joints. Works good for the weekend autoxer beacause you dont need to install a cage and it allows you to use a 4 or 5point harnes when doing events, but still allows the use of factory seatbelts when doing regular driving. Also stiffens the ride up by stiffening up the b pillars! Its also fairly easy to remove as well. :encouragement:
  • VLxTurtleVLxTurtle New Wagonist
    Abide wrote: »
    Do you have any more pics of how this is bolted in? and one with your harnesses in? i kinda want something for rallyxing

i didnt take pics while i was installing them but i did use the factory screws from the seat belts and the same holes to bolt them back up, i had to replace one of the screws because it wouldnt thread back in but other then that everything is basically the same as it was with the oem seat belts. Im actually gonna take the bar off this week or the next when i install my new seats and belt harnesses, ill take some pics as i go for more detail look.
  • Nice! Good info you guys, I appreciate it. Will certainly have to look into getting one of these bad boys once it's autox time for the rt4wd...
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    VLxTurtle wrote: »
    i didnt take pics while i was installing them but i did use the factory screws from the seat belts and the same holes to bolt them back up, i had to replace one of the screws because it wouldnt thread back in but other then that everything is basically the same as it was with the oem seat belts. Im actually gonna take the bar off this week or the next when i install my new seats and belt harnesses, ill take some pics as i go for more detail look.

sounds good! and some extra instal pics would be awesome. Especially where you ended up bolting in your lower belts as well.