A solution to our viscous couplers!

Hello fellow CW members,

I'm proud to let you all know that now we do have a rebuild option when our viscous couplers have failed or don't work as well as they used to.

2 months after I sent a R&D unit to STE Traction Control, they were able to successfully rebuild it. They have dyno tested the unit to make sure the correct fluid was used.

They now offer a rebuild service for the RT4WD viscous couplers.

http://stecouplers.com/recharge/ They don't list the coupler on their website yet, but shoot them an email or call them, they are very nice blokes!!

I am in no way affiliated with STE Traction Control, I'm just trying to help out the Wagon community.

Here are the photos of mine freshly rebuilt.

151.jpg
152.jpg
153.jpg
154.jpg

Comments

• RiB'$RiB'$ Band Wagon
    Great!! Thank you for this!

Do they lock more than the OEM one, or is the same?
  • RiB'$ wrote: »
    Great!! Thank you for this!

Do they lock more than the OEM one, or is the same?

I have not tested it yet as my car is off the road, but I believe it should be similar or the same as OEM spec.
  • DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    What did they charge $$ for the rebuild?
  • DRMORTY wrote: »
    What did they charge $$ for the rebuild?

They charge $200 for a rebuild, and you supply them your viscous coupler.
  • DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    Good to know
  • Excellent! Good work!
  • Really not a terrible price to be honest....I've got one laying around, maybe I'll send it in for shits and giggles.
  • i have a extra one too. it works but if they can pack it with something that makes it lock sooner or faster lmk
  • This is good news!
  • Great stuff, and considering what people are charging for these things untested/used on this site this is a much better deal. Got an extra myself that will be going out pretty soon! Good to see people still taking some initiative around here.

Hope the other mods don't mind but I am going to go ahead and sticky this info.
  • i have a extra one too. it works but if they can pack it with something that makes it lock sooner or faster lmk
    Would be best to get in contact with them via phone or their website :)
  • Very good info! I also will be contacting them. I wonder what the "turn around" time will be since they have already figured out Grifty's VC? I'd like to have mine working before the snow starts bury us here in Tahoe.
  • Anyone had theirs rebuilt yet? I'm interested to hear some feedback :)
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    Coolstuff how doi go about testing mine though?
  • Jack up the front of the car and chock the rear wheels, also engage the handbrake. Slowly release the clutch in first, if it stalls then its good, if it bogs down and picks back up again then its faulty.

I actually called and asked them this, and the guy that answered the phone told me they have thicker viscosity fluid which they can use which will make it engage faster.
  • NEKVTEE4NEKVTEE4 Band Wagon
    i contacted ste about the rebuild and was quoted a price of $350 shipped both ways (i live in vt). has anyone installed theirs yet? i'm interested in reviews about changing the viscosity of the fluid for one which engages quicker. i like the idea, but want some feedback before i drop that much cash.
  • bkmc24bkmc24 Senior Wagonist
    I also would like to know. I plan to send mine out assuming the price is right. Would be awesome to have a review in hopes having new U-Joints and rebuilt coupler would refresh my car/remove vibrations.
  • GriftyGrifty Wagonist
    Sorry guys I'm still yet to test mine as my car has undergone a full restoration, I hope to have it back on the road within a few months!
  • NEKVTEE4NEKVTEE4 Band Wagon
    i'm getting ready to send mine off to ste for rebuild :)

btw, they are looking for unused couplers to rebuild and have on hand. if you have a spare one you want to get rid of they'll probably take it.
  • GriftyGrifty Wagonist
    Please post up results once reinstalled :)
  • Is there an update?
    I emailed them and never heard back....
  • You can also replace the rear shaft with a solid unit, and arrange an in-cab control to the transmission where the lock-out for the rear output is.

Did that make sense? It gives you part-time 4x4 like a Jeep....
  • GriftyGrifty Wagonist
    bkmc24 wrote: »
    I emailed them and never heard back....

Send a follow up email, they're generally pretty good over emails.

Sorry guys I'm still yet to install mine! Has anyone else installed their's?
    Just followed up with them and they emailed me back. Price is now way more. It is a total of $350 for the rebuild. Seems a bit steep to me.
  • superhatchsuperhatch Moderator
    Info Update:

Number on the card is still valid, and they will still rebuild the couplers. I'm sending mine out next week and I'll update with a final price.

Ph: 800-883-6188

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6fP58Ir8r9PV0dpNV95alh3d0E/view?usp=sharing Original image saved to Google Docs.