Anyone use POR-15?

Anyone ever use POR-15 for treating rust?
As seen in my build thread I am giving it a shot. All my buddies in the VW scene swear by it.
I did my homework & it seems legit.
Just wondering if there are any first hand experiences with it on here.

www.por15.com

408.jpg

Comments

• Never heard of it before?
  • civtec350civtec350 Wagonist
    ive used por 15 on my chevelle and sem rust shield rust encapsulator(same kind of stuff). they are both really nice to use. ive used them on a few frames. just do a couple of coats. wire brush, or flap wheel away any flaky rust first. i personally prefer the sem brand because its cheaper, and stays glossy black longer.
  • I used a lot on my car. Any parts exposed to the sun should be painted though
  • toothytoothy Band Wagon
    works great, cants spray it, but when applied with a brush, let it cure, looks like its powder coated, super smooth looks, but use gloves and a mask, will not come off skin untill it peels off, other then that love it
  • bkmc24bkmc24 Senior Wagonist
    Anyone used any of this? I plan to buy some to fix my rust I have. Nothing to serious. A lot of surface rust but one spot may be a bit deeper so I am going to try the PORPatch stuff and see how it works. Should be substantially cheaper than cutting and welding. If no one else has used it, I will post back in here with my thoughts on it.:encouragement:
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Merged into existing question regarding POR15.
  • I know this thread is kind of old. Nevertheless would por15 work for the underside of my wagon? It seems that I'm getting surface rust under there. Where I live they put more salt than there is snow on the ground.
  • bkmc24bkmc24 Senior Wagonist
    Prep is key, but yes. The stuff is amazing. I took the rusted out and VERY brittle window channel on my wagon and made it rigid and hard. That was porpatch however. POR15 is the same stuff, just in liquid form. The key to it working is all in the prep. Find something rusty, and practice on it. Good luck!
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    Report: Mine is holding up nicely since writing this thread. I have since used it on my truck as well. Good stuff!
  • awesome stuff if used properly!!
  • Sweet. I imagine it comes with the proper prepping instructions?
  • Sweet. I imagine it comes with the proper prepping instructions?

yep, instructions can be found on their site as well as videos....also has instructions on the side of the can.
  • debrisdebris Wagonist
    Used it many times.

Pro-tip: don't use it anywhere near any thread. (ie: nuts/bolts)