Fuel gauge fluxuation

ok so the fuel gauge wasnt reading at all so i did some inspection and found out that the wires were cut and they rewired it and left it unplugged . so then i connecter the wires and the gauge worked. then after a while of driving the gauge kept going from half tank to full tank slowly. i drove the car for a couple of hours yesterday and it did it the hole time. im thinking the sending unit isnt getting a proper signal goes anyone know what might be the problem

this is after i connected the back up
200.jpg

last night
201.jpg

this morning
202.jpg

Comments

• SiWagonSiWagon Council Member
    Do the following test.It should be safe,BUT if you did something stupid I didn't think of.It's NOT my fault.(the lawyers made me type this).
    Pull the senting unit & test w/VOM meter.
    OR
    If it keeps going up & down while driving.Disconnect the connector hook up a long jumper to the front of the wgn. to a VOM meter.Go drive around to see if the ohms go 2-39 ohms (around 2-5 is full.25-39 is 1/2 full).back & forth like your fuel guage did.
    If it goes up & down....bad sending unit.
    If steady eddie...I'd look at the fuel gauge.Depending on how & when the wire was cut.It may have blown the fuel gauge.
  • hollywood1hollywood1 Wagonist
    Ill disconnect it for now and try that on the weekend when I have time and see what happens
  • hollywood1hollywood1 Wagonist
    Thanx for the info