Don't call it a comeback. 12 years in the making.

This build starts 12 years ago.

I had a swapped 88 HF that I kept getting into trouble with and lost my drivers license for the 3rd time. i was 18.
When it came time to get my license back, I had to go to a hearing and talk to a guy in a suit.
"Have you learned your lesson?"
"Oh yes sir, certainly, I sold my 2 seater and bought that wagon outside, look you can see it out the window"
"Ok, I see that you are reformed and ready to drive again blah blah blah blah blah..."

:onthego:

186.jpg

After driving it rusty and stock in some sort of over'sprayed blue for a few years...

7 years ago.

37.jpg
38.jpg
39.jpg

We removed a lot of crap from the car. I think in total we dug out a rag, some cardboard, and a piece of wood.

40.jpg

The inner wheel arch was replaced with an EK civic front fender. The beauty of this is that we bent the inner lip towards the outer lip and welded it up, now there is no lip at all, and no place for any junk to collect. below.

41.jpg
42.jpg
43.jpg

Once completed he started work on the outter wheel arch. We decided to use the front fenders from one of the parts wagons in the backyard, the arch seemed the same. We would later realize the arch opening was about 1" longer. The rear bumper was sticking into the arch. Easily fixed by trimming the bumper. Not perfect, but hardly noticable. Lack of Pics here. With the fender welded into place after much effort. We decided that tacking the piece into place and then just banging it to fit was our only option on this side. It's ugly to look at, bondo to the rescue.

44.jpg
45.jpg

Lack of pics for the passenger side, but it was MUCH easier. Less rust. Very nice work on the passanger side.

46.jpg
47.jpg

Trunk area. We pulled some cardboard out of that hole. below.

48.jpg
49.jpg
50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg
60.jpg

61.jpg

It lasted in that state, until this last winter when a major mechanical overhaul commenced...

530,000kms, owned for 12 consecutive years ( a forum record i believe )

MODS:

Cosmetic:
- nothing, painted bumpers and added the side view mirror. OEM flaps.
- lots of terrible body work, but rust is being held back for the time being.
- rust-o-lium white / tremclad white spray job.

Drivetrain:
- fresh d16a6. was sitting in my friends shipping container for 5 years. it had been rebuild top to bottom for an SCCA car, internals unknown. 10,000kms on engine now.
- crx si transmission. 91 with the bigger bearings.
- new clutch, 10,000kms ago.
- DC 4-2-1 ceramic
- AEM CAI
- new wires/plugs/cap & rotor.

Brakes:
- Russel stainless lines.
- Hawk HPS pads

Suspension:
- Prothane bushings almost everywhere.
- Koni Yellow adjustable's
- ITR springs 250f/ - 140/250r progressive.
- Godspeed rear LCA's

Wheels/Tires:
- Centra Type II's. 14x6 et30. (ugly, but i love the offset and size.)
- Dural SDLA tires

Interior:
- mostly gone. I am a drywall taper/finisher and i haul need to haul a lot of tools. (8' ladder and plank fit perfectly with glove box gone).

other maintenance:
- everything. everything mechanical has been replaced. ball joints, tie-rods, rack bushing, radius arm bushings, rear trailing arm bushings, rear drums hardware and pads, rad.

187.jpg

188.jpg

189.jpg

190.jpg

191.jpg third speaker mod

192.jpg

193.jpg

194.jpg

195.jpg

yes, there are much nicer wagons. one's that are more loved... i doubt it.

Comments

• DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    Nice & Welcome!

What are the Black Honda Wheels that you had on it before?
  • quartersquarters Council Member
    came off an 80's model civic 1500S. they are 13's.
    i think they may have come on some old 80's accords as well, not sure. They are going to turn into my winter wheels and the studded tires will get moved over from the steelies. they are hella light and OG. amazingly all the center caps are still there as well!
  • jpciiijpciii familEE
    heck yeah, I remember this car. It's held up pretty well since the body work.
  • Eroc85Eroc85 Band Wagon
    Wow good work on fixing up that rust..thinking of doing the same thing
  • geezfoolsgeezfools Wagonist
    Totally remember those pictures, hell yeah!
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    The lengths some guys go through to save their wagons amazes me. Nice work on saving this wagon from certain death, and having it for so long.
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    I remember when you restored this 7 years ago, i shortly after bought my wagon.

We may have to battle out who loves their wagon more :P
    The reason I haven't posted pics in a long long time is because A LOT of rust came back over those 7 years. The hatch is virtually all fiberglass bondo now. the rear quarters i just finished grinding down to metal and re-bondo'd. In other words, it will look good for the summer and then through the winter it will all come back :(. I still have to re-spray the bumpers. they look terrible.

Anyway, it looks ok for now. More importantly i think, is how the car has been mechanically restored. There is very little that hasn't been replaced. Yesterday i finally found a clunk that i was convinced was coming from the steering system. Whenever i would rock the steering wheel, brake or accelerate from stop, i would get this annoying clunk. Turned out there was a bolt backed out behind the stereo, a 12mm that holds the rusty basket to the chassis. Took me forever to find. I also found some dense foam and stuffed little bits of it at various points in the dash to stop squeaks. Now it's nice in there... well as nice as can be with no interior.
    I'm only going to say one thing... rear sway bar. big time difference. Note: do not pick the brackets from an EF Si Hatch. You will be left with your thumb up your butt hole. CRX and DA brackets are the only ones that will do. I added about .75" of shim between chassis and bracket, used a modified endlink with a custom bushing setup from some prothane stuff i had extra of and they mounted perfectly to the Godspeed LCA's. My custom exhaust was routed straight out back over the x-member, had to cut it off just before the x-member because it was in the way. need to get new exhaust done.

Wagon seat... in the garbage with you. Del Sol red stripe... in you go. Very easy to do, took me about 2 hours without a clue if it was even going to work in the first place.

Del sol seats do not bolt in, the rails are to long and to close together... HOWEVER... the bottom foam and seat back mount 98% perfectly to the wagon pan/rails. I might do a write up, but i'm saying anyone with some metal snippers, zip tie's a 12,14,19mm and screwdriver can do it. Once you have both seats completely torn apart, just replace your wagon cushion with the del sol one and mount the del sol seat back to the oem wagon hardware (rails/pan). the del sol cushion is a very close fit, i filled some small voids with some foam i had around. probably didn't even need to.

it finally reminds me of the crx's i used to have when i was a teenager, but way more room.

pics to to come I JUST BEAT THE RAIN, thunder and lightning right now.
    How does this look to everyone? yes it's a bit ghetto, the custom endlinks are using strut bolts with lots of grease on them and the big bushings are some extra prothane stuff i had. everything seems great with no clunks or squeaks. yes, weak spacers between the bracket and the chassis.

exhaust was right in the way, chopped. very loud and unsafe now.

wagon seat cushion left, del sol pan right. hard to tell but they are very similar in shape, the mounting points are all different though, hence just doing a foam swap.
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    Delsol seat is pretty cool... BUT your interior is FILTHY! and a gray center console!?! come on quarters, you're better than that!
    hahaha i was waiting for someone to say something about the filth.

Once you add the smell into the equation... it's a real force to be reckoned with.

I'm a drywall mudder and this is my tool hauler, everything is covered in dust.
    God damn i hate posting pics. This is why I don't post pics! There is friggin rust and dust everywhere! gross... damn flash is showing it all off too.
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    quarters wrote: »
    hahaha i was waiting for someone to say something about the filth.

Once you add the smell into the equation... it's a real force to be reckoned with.

I'm a drywall mudder and this is my tool hauler, everything is covered in dust.
    God damn i hate posting pics. This is why I don't post pics! There is friggin rust and dust everywhere! gross... damn flash is showing it all off too.

I think you need like a little truck... Then clean your wagon before I lose my cool... and febreeze that shit apparently... lols... still no excuse for the gray console; some one on here has an extra blue one they will sale you for cheaaaap...
  • ChaifeChaife Instagram grand master
    looks fine on the outside... but when you open the door.
    if it gets much worse you can just chop the top... and ACTUALLY make it a truck. I'm not hating, that would be awesome. lol
    I am sure it is remarkably useful without interior though. :smug: Very cool that you have had it soo long.
    The grey console is because 8 years ago some damn thieves broke into my car in manitoba and all i had around in my wrecking yard was a grey one and a brown one! which was the better choice!? even the center vents are grey cuz they wrecked that too. the side vents are black from a crx.

give me a truck that gets 30+mpg and is as fun to drive, maybe i'll consider it.

DA exhaust installed today, ugly install but it clears the new sway bar and is dead silent like oem. i love it.
    i love trips to the wreckings yards and acquiring free stuff! I did some work for the owner and now he rarely makes me pay for anything.

SS magnaflow

EG sedan armrest. keeping with my grey/blue/dirt interior scheme.
  • jpciiijpciii familEE
    It's a work car - embrace the filth! You put the van in wagovan.

I totally agree with you about rear sway bars. The best mod I ever did to my wagon was to add one. The should have had one from the factory
  • EFinOLdSkoolEFinOLdSkool Band Wagon
    Wow...that's dedication!
    jpciii wrote: »
    It's a work car - embrace the filth! You put the van in wagovan.

I totally agree with you about rear sway bars. The best mod I ever did to my wagon was to add one. The should have had one from the factory

yup, right up there with the koni/itr combo at 2% of the cost. the fact that wagons didn't come with the EX brakes and a rear bar blows my mind.

the del sol seat is also worth it's weight in gold!!! it's no secret that the wagon seat, however comfy, does not exactly hug you in the corners. the del sol seat does. The cloth is very cheap feeling for OEM, but the hugability is right up there. ALMOST as nice as CRX Si seats, not as nice on the bottom and side bolsters could be a touch bigger. The shoulder and head rests are just right. I'm drying out the passenger side from a cleaning (that's right, i cleaned it, the water was filthy!). They also make you sit about .75" lower in the car, if i had a crx dash, it would feel exactly like that, except i can see out the rear window.

Really thinking about restoring some interior now....
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    I use both of mine for haulers as well. Don't worry about the mess, it's MY mess!

I remember your resto when I first joined up, and being amazed that anyone would go to such lengths with that much rust. There was another guy too, in Ohio, with a similar bucket. What was his name?
    hmmm close one, didn't notice until i got out. the civic se front lip almost got some tenderizing. i'm only 1" lower than stock. how some of you drive your cars so low is beyond me, i wouldn't make it two feet.

bam-bam is more my style! I'm not sure who the guy in Ohio was, but there is an active member on here with his signature as my quote "to even consider restoring that thing makes me think you might just be a little out of your mind. " along those lines anyway. That was directed to that guy in Ohio if i remember correctly. It makes me laugh every time i see it, because it reminds me how COMPLETELY out of my mind i am.
    it also just occured to me that i have not taken pics of the 23mm ITR rear swaybar that is currently installed. Also the front brakes have been ditched for DA brakes with Skunk 2 adjustable upper arms. waiting for my axxis ults, should be here any day.
    Turns out, the 23mm ITR bar is NOT what it appeared. After research and another measurement, it is in fact, a super sweet 22mm Mugen bar. SCORE!!!!
    I had been using oem DA brackets, but the thickness of the bar was stretching the bushings to pieces and it was real squeaky.

Enter ES 22mm bushings with brackets. 2x as thick and beefy as OEM honda. Plus i got the grease able kind.

Took factory wagon tow hooks and welded on some L channel, drilled out the holes where i wanted them, done.

I am also in the process of ditching the centra type II's in favor of team dynamics 14x7's.

A y8 intake manifold and obx adj cam gear have since been added as well.
  • Nice work, proof that there's no such thing as "too far gone"
    ZC Si Transmission completed. Si 1,2,5, ZC 3&4th, Si Final Drive, LSD. Anyone with a 2wd wagon looking for more get up and go, throw your DX trans away, at the very least put in an Si trans. It should be the very first thing you do before working on the engine. Car is back up and running

Colt Tri Flow cam installed
    New Exhaust Done
    Tuned on Neptune, Innovate Wideband o2.
    Prothane rear motor mount insert, solid.
    Rebuild Si steering rack,

Vibrations gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    I heard that the DX wagon has a very similar trans to the Si? At least when compared with a DX hatchback my wagon feels geared wayyyyyy lower.
  • Danier-SanDanier-San New Wagonist
    Transmission change to Si is something I REALLY want, however I have an automatic so I don't know exactly the steps I should be taking to do this.... I've read that the engine and significant other has to be removed just for an auto to manual swap...
  • hell yeah that things came back from almost dead quite nicely ! and lolz @ bill boards comment haha
    The wagon trans is slightly tighter than Dx, But still a huge upgrade going to an Si box. Zc/si combo is as tight as u can get without custom made gears.