Help please got a weird CHECK ENGINE light!!!

I have a 91 RT 1.6

Alright so to begin this disaster day, i would replace the spark plugs and put in a new PCV valve. Got that done, but had to pull out a sensor that i don't know what the actual name of its called but in my book it says its a TA sensor, its on the right side of the intake manifold sticking out the side, i removed it so i could get my hand in there to replace the PCV valve that wasn't connected in the first place when i started, just hanging there. So i accidentally started the car with the TA sensor out check engine light came on for 3 seconds i shut it off quickly knowing my mistake i plug it back in no check engine light when i restarted it, but now ill drive the car for 7-8 mins and the check engine light will come on and stay on, but if i shut it off then restart it the check engine lights turns off, and comes back on every 7-8 mins, and smells like its running rich.

Can anyone help me???

Comments

• turbo_tegturbo_teg Council Member
    what code? Did you gap the plugs?
  • 1) Pull the code(s) and take note
    2) reset ECU
    3) drive around and see what happens
    4) report back
  • is it possible to get the codes when the car is running, because as soon as i turn the car off and key on engine off the check engine code is gone??
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    yes! the ECU may throw a code even if the CEL is off.
    check the code(s), as that is the first thing we need to know to diagnose the issue(s).

then reset the ECU by pulling the hazard/ECU fuse. i believe it is in the engine bay fusebox.

test drive, if issue comes back then we'll take it from there!
  • I found the problem, i guess when i put a new pcv valve in it dumped oil and crud on my Air Temp sensor. when i took it out it was dripping in oil, $40 for new AirTempSensor, NO PCV VALVE pluged in like it was, and my wagon is running like a top again.

I hope this helps, if anyone has had this same problem.