Rear Disc Conversion

what's up homies? i haven't been posting here b/c i've been busy with my other stuff lately. this is also going to be my last year doing any work on my wagon..i'll only do work that is necessary to it..it will likely be up for sale cuz i'll be graduating.

so anyhow, you want to do a rear disc conversion? take a deep breath and think good thoughts for a minute..if you still want to do it after that i can't stop you.

it's a big undertaking, and it's time consuming.. especially if you don't have your own shop with access to a bunch of different tools that will come in handy. and even if you had your own shop it's still a pain in the ass to do. i know two other people that have done this before me and nobody else after me. it looks simple enough on paper but when you start doing it you realize how much
work is involved not to mention cost..especially when you have to start
buying new parts for your swap.

anyhow, i got the 95' integra LS rear trailing arms, everything on it..but had to replace one of the calipers cuz it was sticking..and replaced both discs, pads.
you'll also need a blow torch, hammer, electric saw, welder, and a whole lot of patience. it took me about 5 days to do it. it was not fun.

the main problem is that the trailing arms are different on the wagon than on the other civics. the wagon is bigger, wider and slightly longer.
(i have a photo of both of them side by side that i sent a few people on this board before.)

120.jpg

Below:Front Disc
121.jpg

Below:Teg Rear Disc
122.jpg

peace out homies

Comments

• SiWagonSiWagon Council Member
    For a bit mo details of this conversion:
    http://www.angelfire.com/az3/hondawagon/brakes.html

Pics of NJCIVICWAGON1 Rear Disc 5 lug(2WD):
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=165&start=150

4WD 5 lug.No splash shield.
    viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3510&p=33081#p33081
  • ZLITESZLITES New Wagonist
    Is it possible to have a rear disk conversion with Tokicos?
    YES for both 4WD or 2WD. :D
    Good to know that. Would the trailing arm from a 00 SI work? Or do I "have to" use the trailing arm off an 90 LS
    :? NO to both.You use the brake parts .Don't know if the '00 Si (EK) or the '90 teg(1st gen) brake parts would work.You'll need to study the parts.About 5 guys(including the 3 guys listed above) I know are using 2nd gen teg parts.You use the Wgn arms.

:( I don't think any other Honda arm will work 'cuz the geometry was altered to accommodate the rear disc & other changes.
    WOW after reading the steps for the conversion. I'm having second thoughts on doing it.
  • Yep.
    I've had discs and drums on a CRX and prefer drums. Out of the UK guys I'm not alone in that thinking.
    Mine's staying drums and just hooking up bigger front discs and calipers.
    The Wgn drums are the largest in the Civic range(even bigger than the CRX).I'm 95% sure the CRX brake parts(but NOT arm(too short)) will work.I've looked at both the 2 &4 WD disc conversions.I've not seen thatdoodle's conversion,but I'm not too satisfied with the 2WD conversions I've seen.Compared to the current 2WD conversions the 4WD conversion would be easier.I'd use a totally different approach .

With a 11'' disc it's & the right adapter it's PNP.The BAD is the added cost of the 11's & caliper adapter. .thatdoodle's used a 10.2''(or10.3'' ITR) disc so it minimizes the arm flange bending.With the right 2/4WD conversion adapter it's not that much work.The 2WD conversion is the simplier design,but require mo parts.
  • ThatDoodleThatDoodle Council Member
    Si you think the 4wd are easier? I dont think so. Not even with those adapters. But then again I dont know how you would approach it.
    Those adapters are hard to come by. Well at least the ITR spec ones I have; 10.2". Another thing is that the adapters dont just plug and play. They wont line up to the drum holes. By the way ek drums have a different pattern. And that pattern doesnt line up either. Reason being the size of the 4wd spindle its larger than any other civic/teg's.

My 4wd 5 lug disk is almost done and damn was it tricky. I just need to do the fronts. The holidays have left me with no play money.lol

Are you saying your not happy with my rear disk conversion?

Where did you see 4wd rear disk?
    I don't if anyone has done this yet. but I was on JDMUNLIMITED.COM and there was an EF8 FRONT disc conversion? Can it be done? As anyone done it
    Yea you can do it. Make sure you get the appropriate M/C. I would change booster as well.
    Chill I,m NOT slammin you.You got to read my posting slooower...
    ThatDoodle wrote:
    Are you saying your not happy with my rear disk conversion?
    SiWagon wrote:
    ...I'm not too satisfied with the 2WD conversions I've seen...I've not seen Thatdoodle's conversion.

SiWagon wrote:
    With a 11'' disc & the right adapter it's PNP.The BAD is the added cost of the 11's & caliper adapter.

It is PNP 'cuz the caliper is moved far enough out that there's NO arm flange bending.
    :o Ohh...Also the added weight & cost of of New wheels to clear the 11 ers'.
    oops. But are you refering to the 2wd being pnp? What company's adapters are you refering to?
  • lukiaszlukiasz Band Wagon
    what about 4WD? Do U have any pictures?
  • I have some 1994 acura ls trailing arms and i was wondering if I could put them on my 1989 AWD wagon.
  • NJCIVICWAGON1NJCIVICWAGON1 Council Member
    shuttle89 wrote:
    I have some 1994 acura ls trailing arms and i was wondering if I could put them on my 1989 AWD wagon.

It wont work. Wagon trailing arms are longer than any integra or civic. You have to modify the wagon trailing arms and swap the parts over from the integra trailing arm.
    shuttle89 wrote:
    I have some 1994 acura ls trailing arms and i was wondering if I could put them on my 1989 AWD wagon.

It wont work. Wagon trailing arms are longer than any integra or civic. You have to modify the wagon trailing arms and swap the parts over from the integra trailing arm.

That wont work either. The RT4wd trailing arms are different.
  • NJCIVICWAGON1NJCIVICWAGON1 Council Member
    Ooops! :oops: I just noticed he said AWD....Thanks Doodle...Nah...That wont work neither...I was refuring to 2wd....
  • So it still wont work if I switch everthing of the ls trailing arms to the wagon trailing arms.
    No. your 4wd trailing arms are different than a 2wd
  • astutoastuto Wagonist
    did anyone did a rear disk conversion for the 4wd wagon yet? im planning to do it and i would like to know what parts can i use. btw would the rotors of a da integra (90-93 rotors) will fit on my future upgrade front brake using the ex knucles. someone told me they fit as well the calipers from the integra. thanks
  • SiWagon wrote:
    For a bit mo details of this conversion:
    http://www.angelfire.com/az3/hondawagon/brakes.html

Oh wow. It's weird to see this again. I made that page for Scottie probably around 2000 or 2001. I thought it was a joke and that no one would ever be interested in doing anything to this car. That was long before I ever owned my first Honda.

Funny how things come around full circle. I'm looking for info before I buy an AWD wagon. I didn't think that page existed anymore. And I forgot the web address years ago. I forgot he ever did a disc brake swap even though I played a big part in it.

Now that I see how much trouble it is I think I'll just stick with the drums.
  • Does this work on the 4wd?
    No.The 4WD needs a different set-up.
  • it was a B***H on my 85 but i gots it done yo
  • MrLewayneMrLewayne Wagonist
    Thanks so much for the how to. This is exactly what I have been looking for :)
  • leWolfleWolf Senior Wagonist
    So I ended up with a set of trailing arms off of a 92 ex with factory rear disc, should work right, still lots of work but usable parts from what I understand.

Correct?
  • BrakeExpertBrakeExpert New Wagonist
    yes.
  • gunsup0331gunsup0331 New Wagonist
    Some updated links for RT4wd rear disc conversions would be thuper!
  • BrakeExpertBrakeExpert New Wagonist
    Not to get everyone's hopes up, but bam bam is getting some extra parts, of which a pair of RT rear trailing arms will be lent to me. Then I can get started playing with metal, maybe I can mill some type of adapter. I've got ideas, so I'm figuring how to go about it. I'll do my best!