DOHC ZC swap into 1988-19991 RT4wd

Comments

• ludemanludeman Wagonist
    I will post pics when I get it done next week
  • wagonef8wagonef8 Wagonist
    I have been playing with power steering on a Zc swap two of the holes at the bottom line up so I just added spacers and adding a third spacer at the top with an offset and just trimming it to look good
    417.jpg
    I will be doing that tomorrow as well as fitting the ac bracket. I will post pics when I get a chance
    AC bracket bolts right up
    Compared some a6 parts to dohc zc parts. First we have the lower timing cover. Since those are a pain to find for the zc (mine costed $60 after looking for a month) and people said the a6 wont fit. You can use the a6 cover but it will need slight trimming to fit the motor mount and obviously would not match upper cover. But this is for guys who are in dire need of a lower cover and dont mind not having an upper cover. Zc is on the bottom a6 is on top.

Second we have the crank pulleys. ZC one is the same and the one I pulled off my 90 rt4wd with A/C and Powersteering. All belts will work, and the ZC is significantly lighter as you can see just by looking where material is missing on the zc and the a6 is damn near solid. ZC is bottom in 1st picture, 2nd picture zc is on the left.

Third I compared cam gears from a 88-91 Honda Prelude b20a5/b21. The zc and b21 share a timing belt and I had a set of adjustable gears laying around. It was a little tight fitting on the camshaft but they are brand new gears. Just needed a little tap with a hammer to go on. The prelude gear also appeared to by a little wider but less than 1/8". The H23 cam gears are also the same. Prelude gear is the silver adjustable one, zc is the stock one
    543.jpg
    544.jpg
    545.jpg
    546.jpg
    547.jpg
    548.jpg
    549.jpg
    550.jpg
    551.jpg
    552.jpg
  • slo88crxslo88crx Senior Wagonist
    I used to have b16 cam gears on my ZC. They are lighter and only thing I had to do was remake some timing marks on them and never had any problems! Good info lude! keep it up!
    Just put a Zc on a 4WD wagon and it was pretty much bolt on minus the power steering having some spacer made for it to work and a longer belt
    898.jpg
  • DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    wagonef8 wrote:
    Just put a Zc on a 4WD wagon and it was pretty much bolt on minus the power steering having some spacer made for it to work and a longer belt
    898.jpg
    Nice! Another completed one.
  • DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    Now that my SOHC intake to DOHC intake adapter is here.. I can get this swap done.

I might just know where to get more of these..

This will make my D-series JRSC fit.. & I could just have a DOHC ZC without it.. :)
    873.jpg
  • humorwvphumorwvp Wagonist
    wagonef8 wrote:

so what was the size on the longer belt you endup using?
    First test drive not a whole lot difference but it works lol easy swap
    I did buy a OBD1 Zc distributor and made my own jumpers for distributor still working on power steering
    98.jpg
    99.jpg
  • VPTVPT Band Wagon
    So you don't notice much difference between the A6 and the ZC?

I just picked up a wagon and have been thinking of just dumping a supercharger on it.
    I only noticed the difference in power wen I swap ecu. pm7 is the one you want to use. pm6 feels the same.
  • VPTVPT Band Wagon
    Would you say it is worth it in the end though? All my hondas always had B16's so i never had to mess with the D's much. From what I hear slapping a jrsc on a D makes it comparable to a stock B16.
    It is worth it in the end, if you have the awd cause we all know you are limited to engine swaps if you want to keep your awd.
    Power steering installed with modified A6 bracket and spacers
    583.jpg
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    humorwvp wrote:
    It is worth it in the end, if you have the awd cause we all know you are limited to engine swaps if you want to keep your awd.

Only limited by effort...
  • tumal1tumal1 Band Wagon
    so can i just used the block on the zc and put a b16 head, so is this right??
  • tumal1 wrote: »
    so can i just used the block on the zc and put a b16 head, so is this right??

No you can't do that. Unless you are a master tech fabricator, or some thing like that. zc is a d-series motor and the b-series head will not bolt up to it. I suggest you read carefully through this whole thread again. Really good info here, I used this thread as my guide for my first swap.
  • AlaskaB16AlaskaB16 New Wagonist
    Charb wrote: »
    Only limited by effort...

That's what I was looking for..
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    Sticky'd until quicklinks return...
  • Fit my a6 power steering bracket to my zc block. Used the bottom 2 bolts with spacer but the a6 belt is an inch or so too short. To fit with my air conditioning I had to grind down some of the bracket
  • Went and got a belt that is half inch longer than stock. I believe stock is 13" and I got a 13.5" and it fits well
    What are you guys getting for gas mileage with your dohc zc in the rt?
  • HakosukaHakosuka Wagonist
    Not very good, with normal driving with occasional blasts around 9-10L per 100km's.
    I am swapping with economic D15Z6 currently...
    Thats not bad at all, thats around 23-24 miles per gallon. Ive been averaging mid to high teens and can't seem to find any reasons why.
  • older thread but i just drove from utah to north carolina in the zc swap wagon user wagonef8 built and i got 50mpg highway! i thought my gas gauge was screwed up but was right and sweet. around town though about 24mpg.
  • Good to see your wagon is still running hard after all this time
  • older thread but i just drove from utah to north carolina in the zc swap wagon user wagonef8 built and i got 50mpg highway! i thought my gas gauge was screwed up but was right and sweet. around town though about 24mpg.
    Do you have a O2 sensor maybe? D16A8 or A9?
  • Good thread. Thanks. ​