is there a DIY for a battery relocation?

I would like to relocate my battery but I dont know where to start? Any DIY out there?

Comments

• MrM3MrM3 Council Member
    It's a fairly simple process. Figure out where you want to move it to first off, I have mine in the spare tire well. Then just get about 15 feet of cable and run it to where the factory ran it in the fuse box. Then you have to make a ground, mine bolts to the spare tire hold down on the floor.
  • in the car or under the car?
  • and also what size cable 1 gague, 2,3,4,5,6? lol sorry but i need to know this info
  • I used 0 Gauge. Its over kill.
  • I have been reading that sometimes these relocations can cause fires? How can I prevent that? I am thinking of going inside the car under the carpet, I think thats safe lol... IDK though will attemempt it and fab a wood tray until I get some aluminum
  • JDMWago666JDMWago666 Senior Wagonist
    As long as you have a proper battery tie down and it's not near anything that could make it spark you should be good. Or just get a battery case for it, Thats what I'm doing.
  • Thanks guys I'll get to it...
  • crxedcrxed Band Wagon
    And use a fuse !!! As close as possible to the battery. It will prevent stuff like fire.
    Here is the battery and box that I used. It's a dry cell so you can mount it however you want. Mine is laid on its side in the spare tire well. Then I just drilled the holes in the floor and ran bolts through. Since I did a wire tuck in my bay I moved my fuse box under the dash on the passenger side so that allowed me to route my battery cable across the back wall in the hatch and then over the rear wheel tub and down the passenger rocker panel to under the dash.

http://www.gotbatteries.com/index.php?m ... D=37L105S5
    http://www.gotbatteries.com/index.php?m ... D=30Z680A1
  • marklmarkl New Wagonist
    Make sure you want to do this. It "fixes" something that is not broke. It can cause a lot of issues like hard starting, possible fumes in the car, extra cost.

If you do decide to do it, here are some good links. Don't go cheap!

http://www.redpepperracing.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=20659&view=findpost&p=352139

http://www.redpepperracing.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=20659&view=findpost&p=357203
  • thanks mark... I dont think I will do it myself haha dont trust my work with electrical stuff. MrM3 I have been hearing a lot about odyssey batteries is that a good battery?
    All of my friends (about 10-12 cars) that have modified the location of their battery use Odyssey. None of us have had any issues with them.
  • Cool, I will be looking into getting one then!
  • I've heard alot about these Odyssey batteries. They seem to have a good Rep. In a honda 91 and older I'd definately do a relocate for more engine space
  • EPcivicEPcivic Band Wagon
    The PC680 mounted somewhere still under the hood seems like the best idea to me. Lots of risks when relocating a battery inside the vehicle, not the least of which is that in the event of an accident, that 30lb battery might become a projectile. Most installations I have seen would not fare well. Most installations I have seen also end up adding 5-10lbs of total weight to the car. Heavy gage cable is not light.

The small battery frees up a lot of room under the hood, and keeps the battery in a safe place.

I've had a PS680 in my racecar for 6yrs now, and it still works great.
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    do dry cell batteries last as long and work the same as regular batteries just without the toxic gas and can be mounted any direction without spillage ?
    im going to relocate my battery once i get a new one and i want a dry cell because im relocating it in the trunk but i need to make sure the battery i get is okay for daily driving and will have a good life span!
  • klum wrote: »
    do dry cell batteries last as long and work the same as regular batteries just without the toxic gas and can be mounted any direction without spillage ?

Yep, if anything they can last a bit longer. Though you can often "revive" wet cells to get a lot more life out of them. But I'd go with a dry cell, especially if you're relocating inside. You might want to check local regs there though. Some places they don't care if it's wet or dry cell they want an inside battery in an enclosure.
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    forsure thanks

as for the gauge question what do you guys reccomend im going to get a pc680 and relocate to the hatch prbably in the rear interior pannels the shell of the frame near the tail lights the OE starter gauge wire will be fine im sure but im curious what size i need to run it from the opposite end of the car while maintaining good current flow