Removing/replacing driver & passenger side air vent covers?

So I'm looking to remove the driver and passenger side air vent covers, but have no idea how, can anyone chime in and help me out? Do I have to pull the whole dash, or is it as simple as the center vent with the clock?

My passenger side vent is half shot and the Driver's one is just plain filthy & disgusting. Both are just starting to rattle and crack from age as well so I feel the need to swap out.

Comments

• they just pop out, easier to push from the back though
  • If you have a pry tool it makes it easy. Just slide it under one side and pry. Once the one side pops up move to the next and so on. Once you clean/replace them they just push back into place. Try not to push/pull on the vent "fins" because they will likely snap off.
  • 503Wagon wrote:
    If you have a pry tool it makes it easy. Just slide it under one side and pry. Once the one side pops up move to the next and so on. Once you clean/replace them they just push back into place. Try not to push/pull on the vent "fins" because they will likely snap off.
    Well I started pulling and my vents on either side started showing stress fractures so I stopped before I did any damage. I tried a good few times, but I just couldn't get them to pop out.
  • The tabs that hold it in sometimes wedge themselves against the dash so take off panels nearby so you can reach in and squeeze the tabs together to pull it out.. But if you're gonna replace them anyways yank um out with a hook tool or pliers and destroy them :p
  • Well I'd destroy them, but I also want to swap out or trade my interior (blue) for a black one if possible and don't want to break a part someone could find as useful.
  • Black ones are non existent, you would have to color dye or spray them to make Em black
  • moebiius wrote:
    Black ones are non existent, you would have to color dye or spray them to make Em black
    By black I mean the dark gray ones that came in red wagons. My interior is going to be a black and gray two tone affair, I hope to just find an 88 parts wagon with a dark gray interior I can rip apart and put into my car.
  • Mandalore88Mandalore88 Senior Wagonist
    I am doing the same thing, albeit slowly. Pretty sure sedan vents fit, if you stay year specific.
  • Jonty25252Jonty25252 Band Wagon
    you should be more particular. do you have 92-95 civic? alternately 96+? in the event that it's an EJ, you can stick a dainty flathead or something like a bolt puller behind there and pluck it off. same goes for both sides. on a 92-95, the vents are associated with the gage board and i trust you have pluck off the hazzard catch and clock to uncover screws holding it down.