Electronics and Fueling "guidelines"

Welcome to the dark arts of Electronics and Fueling. And to my surprise, you can correctly spell fuelling/fueling either way. I'm your new moderator.

For a topic that gets this much attention, and heck even its own forum, it just chaps me raw how little the basic principles are understood. So I'd like to put an unoffical emphasis on education in this forum.

To the knowledgeable, experienced guys:
Please help out when you see an opportunity...correct inaccurate information and keep any necessary flaming to a constructive temperature.

To the newbies, unexperienced and mechanically inclined hopefuls:
I'm a firm believer that an education is worth more if you actually have to work for it. Plus, I absolutely hate spoon feeding people information they can easily find themselves. So before you post anything performance or tuning related, you should be able to answer the questions below.
Seriously.
It will keep me from deleting posts in disgust/frustration.
I'll be more than happy to check answers via PM.
What do you get if you get them all correct?
The satisfaction that you're not a pinhead.

1. What is adjusted in "tuning"? Why?

2. What is "rich" and "lean"? Which is better?

3. What is "air-to-fuel" ratio?

4. What is "stoichiometric"?

5. What is "detonation"? Not the sound it makes, but the cause of the sound.

6. What is "OBD"? What kind of OBD is on your car?

7. What kind of equipment/tools/facilities are used for tuning?

Bonus questions...
What is a fuel map? Specifically, if you were looking at a fuel map represented by a table, what do all the numbers mean?

What is an ignition/timing map? Specifically, if you were looking at a ignition map represented by a table, what do all the numbers mean?

Comments

• akiraboyakiraboy HondaCivicWagon.com Founder
    so well said Davens :!:
    Now, so now as not to contaminate precious...
    lock