can you take the RT out of RT4wd civic?

is it possible to mke it a real 4wd car, so it doesnt switch back and fourth, also do they amke parts to strengthen the drivetrain of the rt4wd civic because i have heard that the drivetrain is extremly weak and with the age ot the vehicle that doesnt mix to well.

Comments

• HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Well, lets put the first myth to rest... the drivetrain isn't weak...

And no, without actually welding stuff, theres no way to make it full-time 4wd. You can however switch it into FWD by using a lever under the gearbox..

You can get a spring upgrade kit for the rear diff but thats about all in the aftermarket parts area, best bet is custom fab.

Hope that helps :D
  • so its not worth it to make it full-time 4wd? correct? To tell you the truth i dont even know why they made the FWD wagons or why anybody would want to conver the RT4wd into FWD thats just stupid in my point of view.IF the drivetrain isnt weak then why do so many people say that its super weak?
  • akiraboyakiraboy HondaCivicWagon.com Founder
    its been reported by some that the system is weak but theres some urban legend mixed in there as well. Someone from the old board made their wagon a fulltime 4wd system by fabbing a solid piece connecting the 1st prop shaft to the second pro shaft & bypassing the center diff. He was into auto x and said that the center diff was unpredictable, therefore his reason to eliminate....

regardless, the d series 4wd sytem is ok for mods, not apesh!t horsepower. If you keep it round 200 hp you should be good. Maintenace is paramount!
  • do you have any details or anymore info ont the full time 4wd setup the guy did?
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    HondaWagonSTS did it, hit him up with a PM.

:D

I'm not saying its not worth making it full-time, you just have to decide what you want it for... if you want autocross/cornering/rally etc then you will definately want to lock her up. But if its for street driving and drag racing then RT4WD it should stay...
  • im thinking of doing a rally civic wagon, with a boosted d engine and full time 4wd.
  • I'm usually one of the the first people to call that "weak 4wd" idea a load of horseshit...however, it really was designed to be used in spurts. Making all those components run full time, especially on a daily driver, is tempting a failure.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Thats totally true and one of the most overlooked things.
  • akiraboyakiraboy HondaCivicWagon.com Founder
    agreed, thats why I believe they used a center diff, even the rear end on the crv has that system implemented into it.