ZC / Si Hybrid Transmission.

Has anyone on here done this?

I currently am running a 90' Si CRX tranny.

My plan:

- OBX LSD (must ditch the half shaft on the ZC tranny and run Si axles for this, change out OBX hardware for stronger)
- swap the Si final drive into the ZC.
- undecided if i want to swap in the Si fifth as well to maintain some highway drive-ability. I don't drive highway to much.

Gathering any thoughts from people that have done this. Thanks.

d-series forever.

Comments

• quartersquarters Council Member
    It only took me 6 months, but the ZC/Si trans was finally built. I picked up the Dohc ZC trans for a remarkable $50.

Si 1,2,5 (was really torn up about using the si 5th or zc 5th. went with si because i thought zc would be just to tight for 2000km drives)
    ZC 3,4
    Si final drive
    LSD.

I'm only going to say this one time... if you are serious about getting a noticable amount of performance increase from your 2wd wagon d-series, this should be the FIRST thing you do. When i swapped out the dx for si trans, it was a huge difference, this was another huge boost. The LSD i only notice when cornering hard.
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    How many miles do you have on this setup? I've got a spare Si tranny I was thinking about playing with a bit.

How much was the OBX LSD?
  • Danier-SanDanier-San New Wagonist
    I don't want to thread-jack, so I'm not going to. Because this is not my thread and I want it to stay on topic.
    Only about 200 miles on the hybrid trans, Had over 100,000 on the Si box. There are d series LSD on ebay which are 250$ish. They r same crap as obx. Just upgrade the allen bolts cuz they r really weak.
  • When I used an obx LSD in the past I dissasebled the whole Diff first and I found several spots that were really poorly machined that I gave some attention to with a file also one of the cogs or gears or whatever they are called inside was installed cometely backwards and would probably have immediately self destructed the diff. I'm not saying they are all like that, but if you use one of these diff's I would highly recommend disassembling, examining and then reassembling, torquing to quaifes specs. And yes, definitely upgrade the Allen bolts and use some belleville washers with them because that's how quaife has theirs set up. (Obx=quaife replica)
    I've (i'm EFing8 on d.org and h-t.com) been part of a recent thread over on d-series.org... They are trans guru's over there.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/transmission-alley/219817-no-name-ebay-lsd.html

There are pictures showing the differences between an ebay/obx LSD (they are the same crap) and an Mfactory LSD (the goodness). Quaife is good, but WAY over priced. Mfactory is same/better, cheaper, awesome service. They also recently released a 'race upgrade' for them, stronger bias.

In the pictures you can plainly see the terrible machine work inside the ebay lsds. And truth be told, one of my allen head bolts already had the head snapped off when i opened the box. I should clarify that on my ebay LSD I have about 20,000kms, not the 200kms mentioned above. I get no noise from it but I also don't abuse it. I never dump the clutch, I only corner hard. I was expecting more traction in the snow that I deal with but that didn't really happen, which i find a bit strange. I think the ebay/obx have a very weak bias.

IMO the ebay LSD's for 280$ish are exactly the same as the OBX one's for 400$ ish. Mfactory is 650$ish and WELL worth the piece of mind and quality.

After a few weeks now, i'm in love with this trans. Still torn about not using the zc 5th, sometimes Si 5th is great, without a 6th gear there is no winning.
    Anyone considering LSD should check that thread, look at the machine work differences.
  • hey fellow DSO gan....just digging back 4-6 years since I haven't been here....

"D Trans Guru" aka Bone....