USA 88-91 Civc Wagon population numbers (July 2010)

2»

Comments

• Wow!! Only 984 '88 RTs left (fewer now), and I have 2 of them! Both running and with functioning A/C. The '91 is generously donating its best parts to the '88s, then it will go up for sale to help pay for paint.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    jpciii wrote: »
    Hi guys. I received IdahoHonda91's PM about this thread...

I no longer work for the company that purchased the vehicle registration data back in 2011. A year or so ago, out of curiosity, I emailed my friend at that job to see if they bought new data... they hadn't. It was expensive. I'll email him again. I doubt I'll be able to get new numbers, but if I do, I'll be sure to post them. I'm just as curious as everyone else about what the wagon population numbers look like today.

Are you able to find out the source and maybe see if they offer just the wagon figures for sale?
  • The way it works is, the data companies compile an aggregate collection of "Vehicles in Operation' data from all 50 states, and sometimes also Canada, and then sell the data to other companies (mostly sellers of aftermarket parts, service, etc... maybe auto insurance companies) so that they can make better business decisions. (Should I invest in developing window blinds and carbon fiber hoods for Civic wagons? Oh, only 1000 Wagons exist? Probably not a good idea, then.)

I suppose someone might be able to sweet-talk one of the data vendors into attempting to query out the data for civic wagons... problem is that with 50 different state government agencies reporting, the resulting database is kind of a big mess... not always well organized. It was a little bit time consuming for me to sleuth out accurate numbers for this thread's initial post.

Furthermore, despite being in the business of selling data (and charging large sums of money for it), the vendors are not always competent at what they do. Turns out, my former company did actually buy new data recently. But according to my buddy, the senior data analyst, the vendor is having trouble providing their data in a format compatible with a typical Oracle database. Seriously?!?... so until my buddy has time to deal with it, we here at civicwagon.com will have to wait.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Thanks for the update! I have contacted LTNZ to see if we have similar information available over here.
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    lets sticky this!
  • You found it...good job Klum!
  • mtnkid85mtnkid85 Band Wagon
    Ha, thats some interesting numbers. We should all do our part to not let anymore go to the crusher!
  • Factor in the exponential decay of the RTs that are in the rust belt and you're most likely looking at fewer than 500 6 speed RTs left. Expanding upon that, how many do you think are in an acceptable condition? (not a complete overhaul)

Someone sell me one.....lol