F2D -- Has this been done in 4WD wagon?

So I've had a brainstorming idea and wanted to bounce it off you guys.

Rather than building a d-series to make 140 whp, it seems that for about the same amount of money you could swap in a SOHC F20B and make around 170whp. The F20B could stay stock, whereas the D16A6 would have to be opened and rebuilt/machined. Plus, if you wanted to go for more power, there would be far more potential with the F than D (no replacement for displacement).

I've had trouble locating the F2D transmission adapter. I know Bisi used to make one, but now he's into Porsche.

Innovative Mounts sells mounts and a cable to hydro conversion kit for this swap.

Am I missing something, or does is there a reason I haven't seen this happen?

Comments

• AbideAbide Council Member
    ive seen it done with the wagon trans in a crx. so yes, it's doable. I may just not be a bolt on affair still.
  • superhatchsuperhatch Moderator
    There is a company that makes a B2D convertor a GSR motor would be a lot of fun too. If you want to know about it PM me and Ill get the companies name from my friend.

I think Evolution used to make a B2D but discontinued, I don't know of an F2D out there.
  • NEKVTEE4NEKVTEE4 Band Wagon
    a gsr engine would be a lot of fun too. the thing i like about the F20B is that it is only about $700+shipping from hmotorsonline, whereas a gsr will run me over $3k. plus, i get the extra .2L of displacement and a little more torque. it's actually a pretty bad ass engine, 11:1 compression, 200hp/145tq at the crank versus 180/126 for the gsr. i was wrong about it being SOHC, it's DOHC. it's essentially a H series motor. i also had thoughts about the F23A, which is about 150/150 and only $600 for the longblock, or the F22B with 145/145.

the trouble comes when i try to make it work with my D transmission. i'd like to keep 4WD, so my only option is to use the D. i've contacted bisimoto and they said their adapter plate for a F2D has been discontinued, but if i found 10 people to purchase one they'd make it. so there's that.

then i started pondering driveline geometry, and wondering if once i got the engine in there whether the transmission would sit in the same spot so the driveshaft and axles would align properly. i was hoping someone on the site had done the swap, and could give some guidance on it.

i'm about to dive headfirst into this build, and would like to get the most bang out of my bucks. it seems like building the D16A6 may be the easier route to take, but i definitely like the idea of more torque and room to grow with the F.
  • trx357trx357 Band Wagon
    The d16a6 is a great engine to build and if done correctly will hold alot of hp. Lots of good build info on d series.org for turbo or na builds.
  • bkmc24bkmc24 Senior Wagonist
    Having done an H2B, here is some insight:

The idea is wonderful for someone wanting to go all motor and has a lot of money and time on their hands. From what I have read, the width of the engine bay is the main issue for fitting F2D as well as the oil pan for the int shaft. On top of that, going F2D for boost puts you in a situation for breaking the shit out of the RT trans, which isn't easy to find and there are no parts for. And building a D or F for potential is almost irrelevant given the power capability (or incapability) of the RT trans.

So what am I saying? If you want to go F2D, by all means, but realize the amount of work entailed in doing it. Look into CRX H2B/F2D builds and see what they had to do and that is an idea. If you are trying to build something SUPER nasty, you have bigger fish to fry before worrying about the capability of the motor. If you are okay with building a ~300 hp wagon, go D series and vitaras and a good turbo and you're set.
    Also, Urbana sucks :cool:
    thanks for the insight bkmc24. yeah, urbana does kinda suck, but it's honda country around here, which is better than where i was in bumf--- vermont. though i do miss those mountains...

i'm not looking for a crazy build. i have a 2.3L focus zx5 that's my daily. occasionally i take the wagon for a spin, and am reminded of how little torque it has. i have a build plan in mind for the A6 in the wagon to get 135hp at the wheels, which would put me in the same ballpark of power/weight as the focus. but, trx357, it's the torque i'm intrigued by with the F2D...think about it, 150ish tq from a "big block D-series". but if it involves a custom oil pan and affects drivetrain geometry, i'll suck it up and stay with the D.

on the transmission note, i remember reading an article in a HT magazine where epic tuning used the rt parts because they were stronger than crz hardware, and they were pushing 500+hp. are you talking specifically the transmission? either way, i don't really have plans for more than 150 whp :)
    I am from the Delaware/Powell area, so I know all about Urbana lol. We used to spend a lot of time at Buck Creek and would venture into town a few times and see all of the Honda kids hard parking and ricing around lol.

The epic tuning car used a CRV trans and B series motor to the civic wagon rear end and a custom driveshaft I believe, so their power achievements aren't too relevant. If you are only looking for 150, I have the perfect and cost effective set-up for you. Swap a D16Z6 or D15B and find an HX manifold, buy a T25 adaptor, buy a used DSM T25, DSM 450's and side mount, ebay intercooler piping and get a chipped ECU. That set-up would be great for the 170-200 hp range and should be able to be had for under a grand. I actually have a Z6 in ohio that needs rebuilt that I would sell you for what I have in it if that interests you.
    hmm...i am interested in the z6. pm me some info and we'll see what we can work out.
    PM'd. Let me know.
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    just in cuz this was the first question i had after buying my 4wd , theres issues with the intermediate shaft and clearing of the transfercase , also got in contact with bisi moto awhile back regarding that as well and he too wanted to do f series or something along those lines at first but discovered he could not.
  • twowheeldealtwowheeldeal Band Wagon
    sorry to barge in, but is my '85 worth putting money in?