Removing the starter motor on a RT4WD.

Is next to impossible to get this thing out.

There is too many linkages in the way, and that fist sized box thing that the linkages attach to just below the gearbox side mount has defeated any attempt of me getting the 2nd (lower) 14mm starter-motor bolt out.

Am I supposed to drop the entire 4WD drivetrain and then drop the engine out to swap out the starter?

Comments

• HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Are you talking about an AT or MT?

On the MT you should be able to remove the intake tube, maybe the battery to give yourself a bit of room and then remove the shift linkage pins and move the linkage back out of the way. From there you should be able to access everything.

It's been a while since I dealt with the RT setup so I might be missing something.
  • debrisdebris Wagonist
    Haydz,
    It's an MT. I might try to take a picture or two of the area.. might help explain things a bit.
  • debrisdebris Wagonist
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3264&d=1462017466
    engine bay pic.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3265&d=1462017466
    work area: the arrow is the bolt I'm trying to get to. The circled part is whats stopping me from getting any extended sockets or tools onto the last bolt.
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    i can usually just get it out with a socket wrench. the bottom bolt has an extension on it to bring the head out some to you. then an extension on your wrench to get to the one just under the head. you can get to the bottom without running into the shifter stuff but moving the cables off their mount would help a lot.
  • debrisdebris Wagonist
    Thanks abide. I have two different socket sets. a 3/8" set and an 1/2" set. Both with 14mm extended sockets that are around 75mm in length?. One fits perfectly and come out inline with that small bolt on the starter (the small 10/12mm at the end of the starter..the one you can see just above the circle I drew) but the distance between the gearbox thing and the starter is too small to get any rachet in.

Something thinner like a ring spanner might fit there but... yeah, sockets...

Am starting to feel like I need to make a custom tool to get this bolt out.

I am intrigued how you guys have done it though, when the moving the cables are mentioned I'm starting to wonder whether I can get access to the bolt from the side (instead of inline?)

I might climb under the car tonight to see if it's accessable from underneath?
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    You can get ring spanners with a ratchet function. Supercheap Auto has them, like $7ea
    Make sure you crack it first with normal ring spanner though as the ratchet part is a little weak for the initial crack.