84-87 Wagovan Noob

Hello all, I just recently picked up a 87 Wagovan. Having had 4th gen EFs in the past I was looking to fill the hole left from my last civic build. UNFORTUNATELY I failed to realize I know NOTHING about 84-87 civic anythings... so seeing as I'm starting a new, all over again, I had a few basic questions I'm looking to get anwsered. I would like lower it seeing as it is not a 4wd wagovan and I preferred a more stance look rather then the stock look. What's the bet way to go about lowering it evenly. I know there's a diff in the the rear spring size compared to the hatch or crx but other then that I haven't a clue. Sec. has to do with the smogging of the wagovan. It is BONE stock as in there's no cat nothing. I'm wondering if I need one or not or were they made to pass smog without one?? Third is what can I do about the AC? The oem is no longer blowing cold but is the old freon style, how do I get cold AC again lol. That's it for now. I know I will have more but seeing as I'm starting a new I have just started looking and doing research. Any help would be appreciated and thanks ahead of time!

Comments

• MrOiSomeMrOiSome Band Wagon
    Ok update, got some of it figured out bit still have some questions lol. Still trying to figure out the smog issue and finding spring and coil over kits for this gen. New question is regarding HID headlights and one pice headlights for this gen, do such things exist lol. Also I'd like to get some kind of wind guards for it, I'd seen on a thread about some metal ones but not much more info. Is there anything out there that fits this gen? Thanks a bunch
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    MrOiSome wrote: »
    Hello all, I just recently picked up a 87 Wagovan. Having had 4th gen EFs in the past I was looking to fill the hole left from my last civic build. UNFORTUNATELY I failed to realize I know NOTHING about 84-87 civic anythings... so seeing as I'm starting a new, all over again, I had a few basic questions I'm looking to get anwsered. I would like lower it seeing as it is not a 4wd wagovan and I preferred a more stance look rather then the stock look. What's the bet way to go about lowering it evenly. I know there's a diff in the the rear spring size compared to the hatch or crx but other then that I haven't a clue. Sec. has to do with the smogging of the wagovan. It is BONE stock as in there's no cat nothing. I'm wondering if I need one or not or were they made to pass smog without one?? Third is what can I do about the AC? The oem is no longer blowing cold but is the old freon style, how do I get cold AC again lol. That's it for now. I know I will have more but seeing as I'm starting a new I have just started looking and doing research. Any help would be appreciated and thanks ahead of time!

Lowering: Re-index torsion bars in front. Join Redpepperracing.com and start searching. I tried to do it myself and gave up. I called almost every shop in the Denver area before finding one that was willing to work on the wagon.

-Also I added CheddaAuto extended top hats for the front.

As far as the rear is concerned- new springs or chop old ones.

It will pass smog. Or at least mine did.

Ac. Good luck. mine is missing the AC belt. Honda dealership says they cant get a hold of an oem one. I have yet to search for new AC belt online.

Stance look: DONT. Jk, but getting low is already a big pain in the ass. Achieving camber and fine tuning?- cheddaauto makes camber plates for adjustment- although they are usually meant to reduce camber- Im sure they can be used to add camber?
    MrOiSome wrote: »
    Ok update, got some of it figured out bit still have some questions lol. Still trying to figure out the smog issue and finding spring and coil over kits for this gen. New question is regarding HID headlights and one pice headlights for this gen, do such things exist lol. Also I'd like to get some kind of wind guards for it, I'd seen on a thread about some metal ones but not much more info. Is there anything out there that fits this gen? Thanks a bunch

You can't just slap some coil overs on this wagon. The front is a torsion bar system. It is a nightmare. I read and watched everything online and for some reason I still don't understand how they work. The rear also requires springs that are made for it or coilover kit that is made for it. I believe there are 1 or 2 companies that make a kit. More research on redpepperracing would be required.

One piece headlights BAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA. you're adorable.
  • MrOiSomeMrOiSome Band Wagon
    Help full.

Bit disconccerning to have a grown man call another grown man adorable, just saying... Ahahahaha

Looking for "stance" as in lowered with good fitment, not crazy camber gang status. Not looking to go any bigger then 15x7-ish for rims and not looking to roll fenders or add flairs lol

Thanks for the help tho I appreciate it!

Side note, i like the neon green rims your running. They look good. You planning on getting centers for them?