Moving up from 1 to 2 radiator fans?

Hey experts! I've got a 91 RT4WD that came from Honda without AC. Meaning it's only got the one cooling fan on the passenger side. Right now, even that isn't working, and I'm planning on replacing a bunch of stuff. Summer is coming up in TX and I want this car to be able to handle stop and go traffic in 110 heat. The car already has a full size radiator, one that goes all the way across, but is only half-covered by the 1 fan. It looks aftermarket, and has been patched in the past. I'd like to replace the radiator with as close to a stock, full size as I can, and replace the 1 cooling fan with 2.

So my questions are these.
What is the stock replacement option everyone goes with? I've read a couple times that an EF sedan or hatch radiator can work, so a stock replacement for one of those cars should be fine, yes?
Radiators (1 800) shows core dimensions of 13 x 22 x 5/8 without AC, and 13 x 26 x 5/8 with. Doesn't seem like much of a difference, but I want it in the south. I'm going to call them up when they open and ask about any other differences. I know I need to get the manual transmission radiator if there is an option, since I don't need an ATF cooler.
Secondly, how should I wire both fans up? If I split the wire coming from the relay, I'm afraid I'll overload the circuit and burn out the relay or pop the 15A(?) fuse. Should I run a second fused relay from the battery, and split the signal wire coming from the coolant temp sensor at the back of the block?

Sorry for the wall of text, if I'm missing anything, please let me know. Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• jpciiijpciii familEE
    There's no difference between hatch, sedan, wagon, or CRX radiators.

You can buy the larger version with accommodations for auto trans and a second AC fan. They're usually one size fits all, and the cheapest option (less than $50 shipped on the auction site). If your car originally had the smaller radiator, it would have used a different bracket on the top left (from driver seat looking forward) than the bracket for a factory full-size. Most (but not all) of the aftermarket radiators have top tanks that are built in such a way that either style bracket can be used. Actually, I'm really REALLY surprised that radiator.com even shows the smaller non-ac option. I thought those radiators were extinct.

If the cooling system is working correctly (big "IF"), the one factory 'radiator fan' should be plenty... even in Texas summer. The second 'AC fan' only runs when the AC is running, anyway.

You said your current fan doesn't work? IMO, step 1, before doing anything else, is to troubleshoot/diagnose the fan issue. After you have a working fan (tip: get a stock one with the shroud), if you find you have overheating issues, consider replacing your radiator with a larger capacity one... or a full aluminum racing style one (around $115 online auction).
  • i have a radiator from a 90-93 integra in my civic rt4wd. it fits fine, but the hoses are a little bit of a stretch to fit on.