First Post, 4wd hooptie :)

Hey guys!
So I owned a red 1991 rt4wd for almost two years with super low miles and a super low gear :) just sold it, and welll, I've been regretting it..
Just got this '89 baby blue rt4wd hooptie with super high miles, a book full of maintenances, a nice clean interior, stock roof rack, and NORMAL SEAT BELTS (NOT automatic).
44.jpg

Sadly, one of the previous owners did some funky things with it, and I'm gonna try to save this little guy.
The car came with the diff and driveshaft removed. The diff mount is cut in half and no cv-axles: hopefully I can find all that at the yard, the front drive shaft needs a u-joint, and once I got it on the lift, I noticed the drive shaft had been rubbing on the car, and some asshole welded the back of the rear hubs. luckily I work at PepBoys and can get the hubs for pretty inexpensively.

I had another problem when I was aligning the rear toe. The rear toe adjuster bolt was rusted and broke. luckily the lower control arm is still bolted firmly to the vehicle, but no adjustment can be made. I will make a post in (hopefully the correct forum), but I figure this is as good an intro post as any. Has anyone ever replaced the adjuster nut inside of the body before? or should I just attempt to remove it with a bolt extractor? I need advice. I will get in there tomorrow or the next day if I get a chance and see if it's accessible. Any ideas?

Comments

• Welcome! There are a lot of them out there with 'some funky things' lol.... Some rust remover, paint, money, and patience will be your friends. You will have to get some penetrating oil on what is left of that toe bolt and see if you can drill and reverse it out. May have to use some heat as well. I have seen lots of driveline parts on ebay recently...pricey, but available.
  • So I backed out the toe bolt and got a nice strong one at ace hardware, sadly Im having a seriously hard time finding rear cv axles....., no luck at any yards, and i can only seem to find drivers rear axles :/ are the rear axles the same? does anybody know?
  • I've made a ton of progress in a little time, just got my driveshaft from a 91 on today, turns out the shafts are different 88/89-90/91. but it bolted up just fine. And got a rebuilt diff, rebuilt pass cv, and autozone had a dr. side!! also i've done some nice stuff to the interior and such. ill post some pics maybe in a build thread(although im a poor college student, so time has to permit...)