Decapitator Belt Repair

The decapitator belt on the driver's side of my '91 RT has ceased to function. It halted in the forward position, but I was able to force it to the rear, where it is now firmly locked. I can use it by detaching and reattaching at the slider, but it's proper function is one of the things my wife likes about that RT. It's also one more strike against it if I try to sell it. I know that seat belts are supposed to be warrantied for life, but it appears that warranty applies only to the functionality of the belt. Since the belt is usable now, they won't repair it. Haven't called the local dealer yet.

Does anyone have any knowledge, insight or suggestions regarding repair of these things?

Comments

• HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Worth reading: https://www.civicwagon.com/showthread.php?10485-Your-guide-to-getting-free-new-seatbelts-from-Honda

It mentions a 'fee' for auto belts, but i understand it's cheaper than a retail part. I'd go the dealer route first.
  • Well, just about the time I was getting ready to call the dealer, the belt resumed normal function. Go figure.
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    The one time I had a problem, I traced it to the microswitch on the door latch.
  • bam-bam wrote: »
    The one time I had a problem, I traced it to the microswitch on the door latch.

I was wondering if that might be the culprit. Does it use the same switch as the interior light?
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    No sir. Its a tiny thing appended to the actual latch inside the door.

I've also saved two pairs of the drive mechanisms just in case. Junkyard wagons are getting scarce!
  • RevmaynardRevmaynard Council Member
    Honda should repair it for free if there is no evidence of tampering or removal. My DA had the same issue and Acura replaced it under warranty about 3 years ago.