Polyurethane filled motor mounts. Using 3M Windo-weld.

I'll start by saying there are many ways of doing this, there is no one method fits all as everyone's tastes are different.

154.jpg

I'm going with some 3M window weld. It has what I believe to be the right amount of hardness for the results I want. A little more rigid than stock, but not jarring the fillings out of your teeth.

I tried another part with some Vulkem 116 but that stuff comes out gritty and really stinks. The 3M windo-weld is much smoother, sets up quicker and doesn't smell nearly as bad.
Windo-weld has a shore hardness of around 50. If I recall correctly a couple other companies like prothane and energy suspension who make inserts that's around 80 or so maybe even higher. In reading other reviews on it I find the following theme. "I got used to the vibrations" or "this vibrates way too much." That to me reads too much vibration for my preference. But that's just me.

For the one part polyurethane like this I think 50-60 is about as hard as you get. It is very easy to dispense though. For harder poly fills you'll need to go with a two part pourable polyurethane. I have heard of some people using stuff called steel weld, maybe that's like jb weld?

So on with a couple pics, it's very very basic so don't expect much.

Fresh mount.

155.jpg

Masked off one side.

156.jpg

And fill. (Wear gloves, it's nasty when it gets on you.)

157.jpg

If you are so inclined you could probably take some time to smooth it out with soapy water and a glove. I'm not too worried about that.

This stuff does set up decently fast, it's a chemical reaction with the atmosphere. The warmer it is the quicker it will set. I tried another part in the oven it seemed to help, though at the cost of many irritated looks from the lady friend.

As some of these bushings are a bit thick I'd say give it a week for the. To fully cure.

I've also heard of some people putting an air hole through the bottom part of the polyurethane. Not sure if that is necessary, if so I may revisit that at a later date. I'll probably be putting these on later in the month, so initial impressions will be given when I get em on.

Thanks.

Comments

• 503Wagon503Wagon moderator
    I will say this will cause substantial more vibration throughout the vehicle. But its not horrible. I did this when I swapped my engine out simply because I refused to pay an arm and a leg for "solid" bushings when this is just as good IMO. Mine have been in for three years and no cracks or separation to date.
  • Did you also use windo-weld to do them or did you go with something else? I'm just wondering how the shore 50 hardness will be. I've a thought to drive a sharpened metal tube through to punch some airholes to give it a slight bit more give, if needed.
  • I got a little bit of separation in one at the top , though it was just excess I filled it quite a bit. I think it's just because my other mounts are so shot that the engine sits at a funky angle. I don't wager it's going to budge any further though, and so far while it's only two mounts in there it's not been too terrible on the vibration yet.

It was when the mount was rubbing against the mount holder, but I got a washer in there and now it's back to good.
  • 503Wagon503Wagon moderator
    Did you also use windo-weld to do them or did you go with something else? I'm just wondering how the shore 50 hardness will be. I've a thought to drive a sharpened metal tube through to punch some airholes to give it a slight bit more give, if needed.

I used a product called fusor. It is going to be a bit harder than what you did. It is a two part epoxy. Super hard.
  • Ah cool. Yeah I wasn't looking for anything that hard. Just something to fill the space. So I was looking between 40-50 shore hardness. I used some Vulkem 116 on another part, it's around 40, too soft for what I used it for but probably would have worked great for the mounts. The window weld is definitely harder, but not terribly so. If I get a significant amount more vibration after I get the other two in I'll look at other options. But so far so good.
  • drfinkdrfink Wagonist
    I looked into doing this, but I ended up just buying the mounts from inovative.
  • ChaseChase Wagonist
    Not to bring this back from the dead but I am just about to do this with my set of rtawd stock mounts. If anyone is interested in seeing my pics I'll post em. Thanks op!
  • Might as well. Gonna use window weld as well or some other type of goo?
  • ChaseChase Wagonist
    Might as well. Gonna use window weld as well or some other type of goo?

It 345 in the morning and I just got done filling my mounts after taping them off and God damn is that stuff messy! I got some on my t shirt but thank goodness it's a cheap car tshirt. Lol

So far so good though, I feel like I'm going to have to remove the tape off the other side and fill that side with window weld so it's even on both sides. If you do this I'm telling you you gotta wear gloves. Haha whoops.
  • When I filled mine I didn't need to untape and do the other side, believe me if you do before it cures it's gonna be an awful mess. Though in hindsight I did cut out all the flashing to make sure it went through to the other side. But yeah on the back side with the tape, it filled all the way against that for me. But yeah, gloves gloves gloves, that is some not coming out of anything shit.
  • So GreenTeaGod, are you happy with your results?
    Vibration not too bad?
    Did you end up poking any holes in it?
  • Very happy. I haven't poked any holes in it. There was some vibration that I thought was a little harsh, but for me that turned out to be mostly caused by the front mount. When I installed the Innovative traction bar, it got rid of my front mount point and the vibrations decreased by 80% It's the difference of having all your mirrors shaking at idle to them being smooth. That front mount was causing the motor to be in there all cocked for some reason. Maybe I ended up with the wrong mount, even though I triple checked the part numbers.

There are a few squeaks here and there, but nothing that a little insulation can't take care of. Things like a bit of extra rubber bumper at the glove box. Some insulation behind the radio/climate control bezel. Things like that.

Nothing so harsh that I feel the need to poke a hole through it at this point, though if I were to redo them I might actually go back to that vulkem. It's squishier and that window weld is about as hard as the mount material itself.
  • It seems like some big bolts inserted to create spaces before applying the goop might decrease the stiffness, then just screw them out after it sets up.
  • Yeah that is a possibility, depending on what you've used though some of that stuff can grab very very tight. I'd probably do a piece of PVC tube wrapped in saran wrap myself, or even with a light coat of vaseline on it. I'd just worry about the goo grabbing on to the bolt tighter than the surrounding rubber.
  • ChaseChase Wagonist
    Okay so I am finally getting around to updating my part of this thread. Sorry it took so long. I ended up stealing the mounts I made for my girlfriends wagon and used them in mine. My plan is to fill hers before she notices what I did, ANYWAY here are the pictures ( I know these look like garbage with the window weld in them but I personally dont care since they work and no one will see them)

72.jpg

This one didnt even work at all. It was cracked all the way around: 73.jpg

74.jpg

Here is how I taped them: 75.jpg

This was before: 76.jpg

After ( during the curing time) : 77.jpg

Lots of random pictures which I apologize for. After installing these on my wagon I must say I like them alot. The only problem I could see someone having is the shaking of the dashboard. I am use to this since my 97 turbo hatchback has hasports which do the same thing. If you cant handle extra vibration at idle then this prob isnt the best for you. Again this is just my own $.02 but for less then $20 its wayyyy cheaper then new mounts :)