Looking for Header/Exhaust advice 90 RT4WD

Currently in the middle of doing a new clutch, oil pan gasket, and whatever else comes up and would like to do a header and new exhaust. Lots of very old topics on this when I search. Does anyone make a decent bolt on kit? There's an Ebay header but its a 4-2-1 which means it wont fit right? Ive got no problem if the exhaust has to be done somewhere, but what muffler should I go with? I'd prefer a quieter tone, possibly with a resonator if necessary. I come from a v8 world so I'm not really familiar with a lot of these brands. Any advice would be appreciated.

This is the link to the header I was considering, as long as I can confirm it works.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221287944172

Comments

• HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Nothing. Nada. Zip. There are no after market headers that fit an RT4WD without some kind of modification. The old threads are relevant - nothing has changed.
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    I have just got a new 4-2-1 header. Here is what I can tell you from my experience and reading a bunch of articles:

- 4-2-1 design makes more power in mid range rpm. 4-1 design makes more power in the high rpm range.

None of the designs fit normally, however if you buy a 2 piece header it can be modified to fit.

It does not bend the right way under the oil pan, so my shop had to cut the header where there are two pipes going and direct them so they would clear the oil pan.

About the size of the pipes themselves:

From my readings it has great importance if you go 2" diameter or 3" diameter.

If you have a NA 1.6 engine or similar with some mods I would suggest going 2.25" piping.

I understand that if you go for 2.5" or higher you get better high rpm HP, but if you go 2" you get better torque rating mid range.

So I chose optimal 2.25" piping.

Also, the ebay header that I had closes down to 1.8" of diameter, so that is why I cut it where there are two pipes and so that the flow would not be bottle necked.

I went for 2 small resonators ( one big one would be bigger and therefore lower to the ground) and also the same diameter muffler as big as I could find.

So now my car has sound coming from the engine compartment where the rpms and filter scream, rather then rice fart from N1 style muffled exhaust.

I can throw some pics on here later on when I get my wagon back if you would like to see how the exhaust looks/sits.
  • yetiyeti Band Wagon
    Ya that'd be awesome! What brand resonators did you go with?
  • yetiyeti Band Wagon
    Ya that sounds awesome. Lets see some pics
  • superhatchsuperhatch Moderator
    Can the RT4WD use an axle back from any civic?
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    superhatch wrote: »
    Can the RT4WD use an axle back from any civic?
    No sir. The wagon exhaust goes under the lower control arm, all other 4th gens go over.
  • Is that the only difference? That it goes under instead of over.
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    the subframe is pushed up there for more clearance. nothing made for a fwd car would line up right. its easy enough to cut a cheap header from summit or ebay and weld it back together to fit.