[RT4WD] Auto transmission transfer case on a manual transmission?

[skip this "intro" if you want, question below]
Hi all. I got into Hondas recently and a few months ago I picked up an 88 RT wagon (5+1 speed, not auto). When I purchased it, it was in FWD as the tire sizes (front and rear) were different. The guy I bought it from (he had tons of hondas, 2 other RTs included), said that it should stay in 2WD until the tires were all the same size. A couple of weeks after purchasing it I got it on some matching tires and switched it into 4WD, and there was some noise (not *too* significant) from the transfer case (thats what it sounded like at least). I didn't think much of it, just perhaps I'd need to get new bearings in there. A few weeks later I'm driving out to the beach and the sound from the transfer case starts getting really loud then suddenly I have a loss of power - lots of drag all of the sudden. I pulled over and disengaged 4WD, and now I'm trying to get it to work in 4WD again.

[which brings me to my question]

Will a transfer case from an automatic RT wagon work with one from a 6 speed? The only RT in all the junk yards within a 2 hour drive is an automatic. I pulled the driveshaft from it (thinking perhaps the VC on mine may be bad), but I wasn't sure if the auto transmission transfer case would work on my 6 speed transmission. Perhaps someone has an automatic transmission repair manual for RTs that could be compared to the 6 speed RTs?

[as a separate question]
The wagon in the yard that I'm talking about still has it's rear differential and axles - should I pull those to have around if and when I need them?

[Edit]This wagon I bought from user darktrickster, it's the one with the dented door in these pics.

Comments

• 503Wagon503Wagon moderator
    As far as I know both transfercases are the same. I'd grab the rear axles and rear end for a just in case. They're not easy to come by.

Just some food for thought when you go to yank the transfer case. The ONLY way to get it of is if you bend the shit out of the oil pan (to get the one bolt out that hits the oil pan) or pull the transmission off with the transfer case attached and THEN take off the case. Spare transfercase parts are ALWAYS needed since to my knowledge nobody makes any new gears for it.
  • spinoutspinout Band Wagon
    Alright, gonna make a trip out there tomorrow morning and see what I can pull. Thanks for the quick reply!
    spinout wrote: »
    Alright, gonna make a trip out there tomorrow morning and see what I can pull. Thanks for the quick reply!

no problem man. Any spare 4wd part is a good spare 4wd part in my opinion haha.
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    I had an RT auto transmission here and compared the transfer case side by side with a manual trans. They did not look interchangeable to me. I had the same problem at the time: bad transfer case on the manual.

I agree with 503. Get all the parts you can. I'd even snag the tranny for resale.
    551.jpg

Today's haul. It'll be a while before I can get to work on my wagon. Hopefully the automatic transfer case internals work with a manual transmission.
    that transfercase looks just like mine, so i'd say it will work...but thats just going off the photo.
    In the case that someone ever needs pictures of the transfer case from an auto RT, I cleaned the one I got up:

576.jpg

577.jpg

578.jpg

579.jpg

580.jpg

581.jpg

582.jpg

583.jpg

584.jpg

585.jpg

586.jpg

587.jpg

588.jpg

589.jpg

590.jpg

591.jpg

592.jpg

Still yet to see how useful it will be for my six speed.
    Thought you said you cleaned it up :-p
    503Wagon wrote: »
    Thought you said you cleaned it up :-p
    Well, compared to when I pulled it. Truth be told I ran out of solvent/sunlight and it's clean enough for now.
    spinout wrote: »
    Well, compared to when I pulled it. Truth be told I ran out of solvent/sunlight and it's clean enough for now.

lol I hear that. Cleaning supplies are expensive!
  • PelletPellet Band Wagon
    Sooo blowing some dust off this thread does anyone k ow if I can use an auto transfer case on a manual transmission? 88-91 rt4...