Need to raise/stiffen rear end. help

I have read the sticky's about suspension and i just want a confirmation before i start switching parts.

I want to keep the ride hight as close to stock or slightly higher than normal but much stiffer. I am typically hauling myself (160lbs) + tools/material (300ish lbs). let's just say 500lbs of added weight to make it easy. There is a fair amount of weight reduction done though, a/c system completely removed, passenger & rear seats are gone to make room for tools. It's a bit of a unique situation compared to all you guys slamming your cars.

i also get a lot of rear end clunking (2wd), but only when there is nothing loaded in the car. I suspect the upper portion of the shock mounting needs replacing, but i would rather just put on some shocks/springs that are assembled already so i don't need to fiddle with it.
so do i just want o put DA rear shocks/springs on the wagon or am i wrong?

thanks.

Comments

• bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Yes. DA Complete strut/spring assemblies will raise the rear 1.5-2 inches. Same setup with one coil cut off the top is even better. Look in my member's rides thread, there are pics of several variations I tried while trying to dial in for towing the camper.

Note that the DA spring is shorter and stiffer/harsher. I got the same height, plus stock-like ride, plus adjustability by adding adjuster sleeves to the OE wagon springs and struts.
  • thestzathestza Wagonist
    Following up on this as I'm looking to do something similar...

Quarters, did you end up swapping out your rear suspension? How is it?

S