My first Wagon

Hey hows it going this is is my first wagon and build. hope you Gents/Lady's like it.

RT4WD

Hears the story i was looking for a year to buy a wagon but couldn't find one that Wasn't rusted out or had major damage I'm a little picky. I finally picked one up about 5 months ago maybe less, When i first seen it in the drive way when i pulled up i knew i was going to take it home haha. There were little issues with it but fixable, The major problem was the engine burned oil when warming it up and driving 1st-3rd in higher RPMs, The other was it had a CRX center console, big dent on the passenger side door, driver corner light busted, home made exhaust when i was driving back home it fell off lol it was hanging by the catalytic converter. I didn't drive it much when i first had it, I had a 97 ex Si clone that was my Daily Driver for about 4 years i sold it a month ago so i had room to park the wagon.

My wagon is my daily driver so i had to find a replacement for the engine. i looked around and i found a D16z6 swap it was still in the car so that was a plus but he wouldn't separate the swap so i had to buy the swap. When i got it back to my friends garage we stripped it down cleaned it up with 2 cans of engine degreaser.

Went to couple auto stores to buy
* Gaskets - Valve cover set, head, oil pan, oil pick up tube, thermostat, intake, exhaust, both VTec solenoids.
* Water pump
* Timing Belt/ Alternator Belt
* Rear Main seal
* Thermostat
* Oil/Oil filter
* Coolant
* NGK V power spark plugs/ NGK wires
* Throwout Bearing (89)
* Paint for the block and valve cover

Online buys
* Exedy clutch with Exedy flywheel - It was meant for 90 wagon transmission I had to get the throwout bearing for a 89
* Innovative Motor Mounts Black 75A
* Skunk2 pro intake manifold/ 68mm Skunk2 pro Throttle body (Craigslist)

Local Shop
* OBD0-OBD1 ECU Jumper Harness
* Basic chip for My P06 i had laying around (2 step at 4k) VTec set to 4800 or 5200 not sure
* Blox Gold shift knob

Junkyard
* OBD0 Distributor plugs
* OBD1 Distributor plugs
* OBD1 Fan plug
* OBD1 Vtec plugs I had to extend them to the ECU harness
* Yakima roof bike rack (lol i couldn't believe it)
I had to repin the Distributor plugs from OBD0-OBD1 so it was plug in play. i had a little trouble because of the White wires,They look the same to me and we didn't test it before the swap because i had the only car With OBD0.

It took about two weeks to get some of the items i purchased. When everything came in i painted it let it sit for a day i had to paint the valve cover twice because my friend put a finger print on it on accident ( so he said ) Then we started to put everything back on the D16z6 so it will be ready to swap in.

The time has come we started to pull it out. There were some problems when unbolting the rear mount bracket that connects to the transmission the bolts were stripped and forced in someone put washers between the bolt and bracket. My friends dad rethreaded the holes and i went out to get new bolts, the way the rear motor mount was i couldn't get a tool to get the back left bolt because small space so we had to cut off half of the mount just to get a tool to get that bolt off after that everything was ready to go in the following day.

Saturday after noon i cleaned up the engine bay a little nothing to fancy its my Daily Driver i noticed that my skunk2 Manifold was to long it was going to hit the firewall i fixed that problem with a Hammer haha. We Started to check everything making sure it was all ready to go in smoothly, We dropped it in one problem i didn't hit the firewall in enough so it broke my Throttle Positing Sensor (TPS) but it was only the plug were it attaches to the harness so the half of it is in the harness and the other half you can see 3 little metal pins sticking out we just attached connectors to make it work. The other little problem was the transmission motor mount couldn't get it line up we had to angle the motor towards the front of the car. We made sure it wasn't bending/forcing anything the wrong way. It was finally in and everything connected it looked damn sexy lol.

Sunday afternoon we plugged up the Distributor jumpers i made and it didn't start so i repined the white wires (they look the same to me) and it started right up i let it run for 15-25mins then i i tried to put it in gear and it wouldn't go in any gear i turned the car off and went to every gear then turned it back on it wouldn't go in gear by that point i didn't want to deal with it so me and friend went to a little car meet in the area by the time we got back went to the garage we checked everything but couldn't find out the reason why it didn't go in to gear. I took it to a shop near the area and left it there for them. The following day they call me and told me the clutch cable binded up so that was the reason why it wasn't going in gear. that was one thing we didn't check next time i know for the future.

Thanks for Reading I will have Pictures up soon also thanks to AintGotNoSol for his Z6 swap thread with out that i would have never did this. That thread helped a lot.

Pictures

when I pulled up to buy the wagon
392.jpg
393.jpg
394.jpg

Brought it Home Next to My 97 Si clone. i drove around with HXs painted purple with white lip for 2 months
395.jpg
396.jpg

Finally Stripped The Paint From the HXs. I didn't mind it but Wanted a different color
397.jpg
398.jpg

Just wanted to see the Si Rims on her. I think it looks sexy but wished it was lowered
399.jpg

Painted the Hxs white. yea yea over spray it came off a day or two haha. I also painted the Mud Flaps
400.jpg
401.jpg

OK Back to the build
402.jpg

Picked up the Z6 Swap
403.jpg

stopped at a store came out and it looked lowered from the swap still in the back
404.jpg

Got it back to the garage stripped it and started to clean it
405.jpg
406.jpg

Painted the Longblock
407.jpg
408.jpg

Used Aircraft Remover for the Valve Cover
409.jpg

Painted it Black but cam out Dark grey then my friend put his finger print in it so i had to repaint it
410.jpg
411.jpg
412.jpg

Innovative Mounts 75a Black
413.jpg

Exedy stage 1 clutch
414.jpg

Starting to remove everything
415.jpg
416.jpg
417.jpg
418.jpg
419.jpg

Out with the old In with the New
420.jpg
421.jpg

Love this stuff
422.jpg
423.jpg

424.jpg

425.jpg
I would of have took way more pictures but didn't feel like stopping.
I will have Interior Pictures tomorrow.

Comments

• Ridge911Ridge911 New Wagonist
    Pics? (TL;DR)
  • interior pics
    473.jpg
    474.jpg
    475.jpg
    476.jpg
    477.jpg
    478.jpg
    479.jpg
    480.jpg
    481.jpg
    482.jpg
    483.jpg
  • Ridge911Ridge911 New Wagonist
    Z6 swap is awesome. looks good
  • Ridge911 wrote: »
    Z6 swap is awesome. looks good
    thank you. But my starter went out tonight and I was trying to start Manually with the starter but it wouldn't start I really didn't want to push start it because I know its bad for the transmission and the clutch is still in breaking period. I had to do what I had to do. It's at a friends house. I'm going to replace the starter tomorrow.

What's the easiest way to replace the starter on a RT4WD transmission? It looks like everything is close together
  • So I got a new starter and also got a new distributor but my car still won't start I don't know why. When I go to start the wagon i hear a non stop clicking and it won't turn over. I do have a check engine light code 15 ignition output signal. Can anyone help me please?
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    For the starting problem: check your battery terminals closely, make sure they are clean and tight. Those aftermarket lead terminals are notorious. Also confirm clean and tight connection of the ground cable from battery to frame apron to transmission/clutch cable bracket.

The 15 code is igniter (ignition module), should be fixed with the new distributor. If it persists, look to your swap wiring.

One other thing, reading through your thread I see that you had trouble with mount alignment. Did you swap the mount bracket on the timing belt end of the engine?

Nice work so far, keep it up!
  • bam-bam wrote: »
    For the starting problem: check your battery terminals closely, make sure they are clean and tight. Those aftermarket lead terminals are notorious. Also confirm clean and tight connection of the ground cable from battery to frame apron to transmission/clutch cable bracket.

The 15 code is igniter (ignition module), should be fixed with the new distributor. If it persists, look to your swap wiring.

One other thing, reading through your thread I see that you had trouble with mount alignment. Did you swap the mount bracket on the timing belt end of the engine?

Nice work so far, keep it up!

Yes i did swap the bracket it sits way better.

One more thing I've been driving around for a week so far and all of a sudden it didn't want to start. I had to push start it to get it running to drive it to my friends house. I put the new starter in it started up moved it turned it off and went to turn it on again it didn't want to turn over just clicking so that's when i got the new dizzy and same thing nothing but clicking.

I'll check later today make sure the grounds are tight,Clean and I'll check the wiring . Thank you bam-bam
  • Today i had a chance to figure out why my car wouldn't Start. It was giving me a CEL code 15. First i cleaned up the ground wires and added another to the block. I looked at the dizzy blk/yel wires from the harness side and saw the wires were pinched close to the connector so the copper was showing a little the day it wouldn't start was humid as hell. today my thought was maybe it had moister where the wires were pinched and the copper was showing and maybe that's why it wouldn't start.

So i used electrical tape for now until i go to the junk yard to replace the connector because it was so close to it i didn't want to take a chance cutting it.
    One more thing when i was looking at my Air Charge Temperature Sensor it wasn't plugged in so plugged it in and went to turn the key the CEL light went away and turned on with out a problem. IDK if that was the reasons why it wouldn't turn on but i'm still confused:confused: lol.

I'm just glad its up and running:smug:
  • Today i had a chance to figure out why my car wouldn't Start. It was giving me a CEL code 15. First i cleaned up the ground wires and added another to the block. I looked at the dizzy blk/yel wires from the harness side and saw the wires were pinched close to the connector so the copper was showing a little the day it wouldn't start was humid as hell. today my thought was maybe it had moister where the wires were pinched and the copper was showing and maybe that's why it wouldn't start.

So i used electrical tape for now until i go to the junk yard to replace the connector because it was so close to it i didn't want to take a chance cutting it.
    One more thing when i was looking at my Air Charge Temperature Sensor it wasn't plugged in so plugged it in and went to turn the key the CEL light went away and turned on with out a problem. IDK if that was the reasons why it wouldn't turn on but i'm still confused:confused: lol.

I'm just glad its up and running:smug:

Congrats! Car's lookin good...
  • Congrats! Car's lookin good...
    Thanks skittlenips I still have some things I need to work on and still waiting on extra $$ for some goodies
  • Haven't posted anything in a very long time i had a little issue with my wagon couple months back :apologetic:

I was driving to work it was raining and there was snow and it was a little warm out so it was melting and nothing but puddles everywhere they weren't deep but there was a lot i couldn't avoid them, when i got to work i parked it 5 hrs later my boss told me my car was smoking i ran out as fast as i can by the time i was out the door the fire department was there they told me not to go near it, I had a little electrical fire with the harness in the engine bay ( Its't not the engine harness ). It started from the passenger side firewall that connects to the fuse box, headlight, and i think the ECU that little fire did a lot of damage to the harness just destroyed it. I'm trying to find a harness but i don't know whats the correct name for the harness and i dont know if any 88-91 harness will work im the only one in my group that has a car ranges from 88-91 . if you guys can help me out that will be much appreciated.

Yea i know it happened months ago i didn't have time to fix it or even look at it or go to the junk yard, My schedule just changed so i have time
  • Can anyone help me and figure what that harness is called or if I can use one out of a crx, sedan, hatch 88-91
  • Got a brown center console for sale if youd like one :) pm me
  • [IMG][/img]20140415_214834_zpsntwpzxtx.jpg
    I had time to look at the damaged harness. I can't save this one. Does anyone know what other harness can i use to fix this i really need to get my wagon running its been DOWN to long. If anyone has info please help. Thank you in advance.
  • There is an 88 rt gold wagon with brown interior at a junkyard about an hour and a half away from me. I took some stuff but not the harness, if I make it back out to that wagon I will check for it.
  • There is an 88 rt gold wagon with brown interior at a junkyard about an hour and a half away from me. I took some stuff but not the harness, if I make it back out to that wagon I will check for it.
    alright that sound's good killa_ef_uat thank you. Wagons at the junk yards around me VERY RARE only seen 2 and that was 3-4yrs ago
  • LaserjockLaserjock New Wagonist
    Im not sure if you've thought of it but maybe try using a sedan or hatchback or CRX harness. I cant imagine Honda would use a different style between these platforms in this generation.

Good luck man. I can post pics of wagon electrical diagrams if you need it
  • Laserjock wrote: »
    Im not sure if you've thought of it but maybe try using a sedan or hatchback or CRX harness. I cant imagine Honda would use a different style between these platforms in this generation.
    Good luck man. I can post pics of wagon electrical diagrams if you need it
    I was thinking about it but haven't had time to go to the junk yard but this weekend I'm going to the yard to see what harness will work. Thanks for the info Laserjock
  • Its been a very long time since I posted, just a little update finally got my hands on a dash harness late summer last year finally had a little time today to put the harness back in just need to connect everything under the dash and put the dash back in. Hopefully Sunday I can work on it unless it thunderstorms again.

Here's couple pictures its been sitting since begining of 2014

123.jpg

124.jpg

125.jpg

126.jpg