Totaled. Now what?

Hi guys sad time for me I got into an accident and the insurance that hit me car declared my car as a total loss. This is my first accident and first car that I've put so much into. I'm asking advice of what should I do next. The car is working fine just the radiator pushed in (thank god it didn't burst) and pretty much the car was squished as I was in the middle of a pile up accident.
277.jpg
The car was lowered so it actually went under the car I front of me.

Comments

• Looks fixable, how is the rear end?
  • Yeah looks fixable to me too. Probably get a new T brace considering that one is likely hosed and see what can be done to hammer out the rest into alignment. Junk yard a hood and pocket whatever the rest is. As long as it didn't screw things up to the point that the car is tracking funny or anything like that I'd definitely fix it.
  • mistahjoemistahjoe New Wagonist
    looks fixable from the driver side angle. did it push in the passenger side?
  • Looks very minor damage wise! My GAWD the fender is OK! I'd fix it just for that :encouragement:
  • sayurasemsayurasem New Wagonist
    From further inspection the front end looks fixable, but I'm not sure about the doors. Currently only driver door and the trunk can be opened. The front passenger and back doors cannot be open for some reason. The bumper in the back looks clean but pushed in about 4" inside. More pic coming soon
  • If the unibody is bent enough to keep the back doors closed might be time to part ways...

Depending on the "buy back" price from the ins company, might be worth keeping it and parting out.

need more pics
  • Ouch yeah, that does mean you had some squishiness going on for sure. Like JB said, if that unibody got bent that much I'd be concerned about anything further going on with it. Any further mods or improvements are gonna be done on a vehicle that's been marked totaled, so any resale value is fairly hosed. And did it get bent up enough that daily driving is going to cause further problems, probably not, but it's still gonna be something that would always be in my mind.
    Rear bumper
    288.jpg

My hand can fit thru between the bumper and the trunk door
    289.jpg

Right back door. Notice the black trim is popped out during impact
    290.jpg

Left back door. Same as the other side, the door overlaps the body
    291.jpg
  • Yeah can see it's pushed in the rear 2-3mm causing the door gap to disappear.
    Still surprised it managed to do that and still look good from a distance.
    Im guessing the usdm rear bumper support is really beefy and pushed the already weakish rear rails in body work in. Jdm ones are really flimsy and any kind of hit ends up with a mangled bumper, they are just there to hold the rear bar in place to be honest.
    Have a look inside the boot/hatch/trunk and underneath if the rails are kinked. You might be able to get it pulled out
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    It sucks man, but that looks like a write off to me. Now buy a good shell and swap your parts onto it. :)

Im guessing the usdm rear bumper support is really beefy and pushed the already weakish rear rails in body work in. Jdm ones are really flimsy and any kind of hit ends up with a mangled bumper, they are just there to hold the rear bar in place to be honest.

There's method to their madness. I have seen a Shuttle take a significant hit from behind and then simply push the bumper back out again, without damaging the body or mounting locations. Wheres if there was a beefy mounting bar like the USDM ones, then that certainly would have pushed the body with it. I guess it just depends on the speed of the impact as to what method is the most effective.
  • Or chain around a sturdy tree and hook it to that tow loop. Pop it right back out. Since it's totaled I'd give it a shot just for the hell of it.
    I probably will keep it and mess around with it. I got an eye on an RT on craigslist already. But i still do like this car
    Or chain around a sturdy tree and hook it to that tow loop. Pop it right back out. Since it's totaled if give it a shot just for the hell of it.

Not a bad idea. I might actually try this.
  • Maybe pull the rear bumper, find some other mount points as well and do some custom plates to bolt in there and then do the same chain type thing and see what happens. If you do it I'd love to see a video of it just to watch what happens. If anything it'll be good entertainment =D
    At body know the blue book value for 1989 wagon? I can't find it anywhere..
  • greenteagodgreenteagod Moderator
    There's not really a bluebook value. They stop after X number of years. So The Kelley Blue Book value is non-existent for our vehicles now. That said, down here in Texas when we title vehicles we pay a presumptive value in tax. Too many jackholes were saying they bought a $10,000 vehicle for $100 so now us buying cheap cars get dicked on taxes. When I titled mine the state said the value was about $400. Which is expected.

If you have any receipts or documentation from when you bought it, as well as local advertisements for the used car market you can take that to them to justify the value if you're feeling they're screwing you on what you're owed for insurance. I'd work with your own company on it as well to see if they'll help you out. Take them some craigslist ads and the like showing what the going rate for these can be, especially one that was fairly clean like yours. I see two wagons in the SFBAY craiglist for about $4000. Anything like that can help.
  • MrWhoopeeMrWhoopee Wagonist
    sayurasem wrote: »
    At body know the blue book value for 1989 wagon? I can't find it anywhere..
    On this forum, priceless. To an insurance company, $1200 if you're lucky. They don't care what you've done or how much you've sunk into it. The only way around this is "agreed value" coverage. That's what I have on my restored '63 VW Doublecab. I had to provide a bunch of pictures to get them to give me a $15k valuation. And, of course, that's you buying comprehensive coverage.

I've learned, the hard way, that you must have a medical issue related to the accident to guarantee you won't get burned on the settlement for the car. You can NEVER replace your vehicle for what they give you. Never say "I'm fine."
    MrWhoopee wrote: »
    On this forum, priceless. To an insurance company, $1200 if you're lucky. They don't care what you've done or how much you've sunk into it. The only way around this is "agreed value" coverage. That's what I have on my restored '63 VW Doublecab. I had to provide a bunch of pictures to get them to give me a $15k valuation. And, of course, that's you buying comprehensive coverage.

I've learned, the hard way, that you must have a medical issue related to the accident to guarantee you won't get burned on the settlement for the car. You can NEVER replace your vehicle for what they give you. Never say "I'm fine."

unfortunately this is what happened to me. Me and my passanger were hurt during the accident. The doctor said I pop one of my disk between my vertebrae? (Neck bones). My attorney just confirmed my story matches with the person I front of me that I had break in time.

Btw did some surfing and I found a site that show the value of the wagon
    http://www.nadaguides.com/classic-cars/1989/honda/civic/4-door-wagon/Values
    Nice, yeah if you got hurt, get your money for sure. If you popped a disc that can screw you up for life if it's not handled properly.
  • BenjameanosBenjameanos Band Wagon
    I was rear ended and my 91 wagon was totaled also.. the gave me 2200 for mine.. on the medical part you have 2 years to make a settlement so dont let them hurry you.. cuz the will try and do it as fast as possible. Dont let them screw you.. take your time and see whatever doctors you need to see.. cuz in the end they are liable.. good luck man.. sad to see another wagon bite the dust. Such an awesome vehicle..
    I was rear ended and my 91 wagon was totaled also.. the gave me 2200 for mine.. on the medical part you have 2 years to make a settlement so dont let them hurry you.. cuz the will try and do it as fast as possible. Dont let them screw you.. take your time and see whatever doctors you need to see.. cuz in the end they are liable.. good luck man.. sad to see another wagon bite the dust. Such an awesome vehicle..

Yeah i was informed my compensation from the injury will be received after all treatments are done so that wont be for another 8 weeks. So far so good im feeling better now. Any other wagon owner had their car totaled and how much did you guys get from the insurance?
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    sayurasem wrote: »
    Yeah i was informed my compensation from the injury will be received after all treatments are done so that wont be for another 8 weeks. So far so good im feeling better now. Any other wagon owner had their car totaled and how much did you guys get from the insurance?

my 4wd with 300k on the dash got totaled they offered up like 1200 but after i wrote the insurance company a very unhappy email about how the guy compared my car to a 92 4dr civic ( which are a dime a dozen ) and compiled a list of 3-4 civic wagons including two 4wd ones that were for sale at some rediculous price like 5k or something i ended up getting 2800 and i got to keep the car :D
    man i have no idea where that money went... lol
    but i live in CA as well - if yours is 4wd and you are loooking to part out lmk i need the rear section of the drive shaft
    Klum, in like a piranha!