turbo build assistance

I'm going to be rebuilding and boosting my wagon this year, and just wanted to see if I could get some assistance making sure I have a list of everything I will need for the build. My list so far is
-ebay turbo kit (may replace ebay turbo with a garrett)
-vitara pistons on stock rods (have read that will be fine for moderate boost)
-bigger injectors (not sure what size, only plan on running low boost, aiming for low to mid 200 whp)
-walbro 255
-valves, springs, seals, and guides from lowe mileage d16 head, stock a6 head and block machined
-obd1 ecu (not sure what kind I need, no vtec, so not sure of that makes a difference)
-obd0 to obd1 jumper harness
-ARP headstuds
-ARP wheel studs (have heard stockers don't hold up well to much more power)
-half radiator

Is there anything else I need to have or should get, this is my first time boosting a car, and my wagon is my main DD, so I will be wanting to get the rebuild and turbo build done fairly quick. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• bkmc24bkmc24 Senior Wagonist
    Please, for the love of God, do not buy eBay turbo stuff. That is possibly the most crucial thing to not skimp on. Your build is done to compliment that, and that only. Spend the money on quality and only do it once.
    Also, go P2P0 rods and pistons. You will hate how low the compression is on stock rods. Wouldn't really even need these for a 200hp build depending on turbo and boost.
    Injectors, DSM 440's should be fine.
    255 is fine
    OEM head parts will be fine, and are cheap enough to not reuse.
    ECU can be done through Phearable.net. Easiest route.
    Jumper can also be had from Phearable or Rywire

Here is what I would do. Buy another car. Make the wagon a "project," but have another as a spare. Nothing sucks more than breaking your only car because you bought cheap parts, which leads me to part 2, buy quality. You're going boost. You should absolutely not skimp anywhere. It is a very different animal. That being said;

Find a spare D16Z6
    P2P0 rods with 75.5mm pistons
    OEM rebuilt head
    Saturated precision 650's for room to grow
    walboro 255
    Good clutch
    Go-Autoworks turbo kit

Honda-Tech.com has a boost section that has plenty of info to go from.
  • bkmc24 wrote: »
    Please, for the love of God, do not buy eBay turbo stuff. That is possibly the most crucial thing to not skimp on. Your build is done to compliment that, and that only. Spend the money on quality and only do it once.
    Also, go P2P0 rods and pistons. You will hate how low the compression is on stock rods. Wouldn't really even need these for a 200hp build depending on turbo and boost.
    Injectors, DSM 440's should be fine.
    255 is fine
    OEM head parts will be fine, and are cheap enough to not reuse.
    ECU can be done through Phearable.net. Easiest route.
    Jumper can also be had from Phearable or Rywire

Here is what I would do. Buy another car. Make the wagon a "project," but have another as a spare. Nothing sucks more than breaking your only car because you bought cheap parts, which leads me to part 2, buy quality. You're going boost. You should absolutely not skimp anywhere. It is a very different animal. That being said;

Find a spare D16Z6
    P2P0 rods with 75.5mm pistons
    OEM rebuilt head
    Saturated precision 650's for room to grow
    walboro 255
    Good clutch
    Go-Autoworks turbo kit

Honda-Tech.com has a boost section that has plenty of info to go from.

Thanks for the tips, as far as the turbo kit, I was thinking of buying an eBay kit, but getting a better turbo and manifold and selling the eBay ones. I guess I should have also mentioned that although the wagon is my main DD, I do have another car, just don't drive it quite as often since it gets a lot less mpg, so I am covered transportation wise if it takes longer than expected for the build.
    Still avoid eBay crap. Buying a nice turbo and manifold for an eBay diaphragm to go out on the wastegate and either ruin your motor or turbo would suck hard. And for the price, the Go-Auto street kits are a super solid buy.
  • Exactly what BKMC said. I can't imagine the accessories in an ebay turbo kit would make it worth buying, just to sell the manifold and turbo. I'd also consider supertech pistons as well, though the teflon skirts on the YCP setup does look good.
  • i had an 89 civic si lsvtec turbo where i used an ebay intercooler kit, ebay cast iron manifold with adapter plate for turbo, ebay blow off valve, dsm 440 injectors, walbro 255 fuel pump, stock t25 turbo from an eagle talon(internal wastegate), obd0 to obd1 adapter harness, chipped and socketed p06 set up for turbo and vtec from xenocron, and this set up was good for 14 lbs of boost. im not saying all ebay parts are good i know someone who used an ebay turbo and it blew pretty quick. i think the ebay turbos have bushings instead of bearings on the shaft, but im not positive. but as far as low boost, low budget applications i will use ebay intercooler, manifold, and certain other parts. i personally would not use ebay turbo and fuel delivery parts.
    As far as I would go from ebay is intercooler piping and MAYBE an intercooler, but that is all. A buddy of mine used eBay IC piping for his supercharged mustang and they did fine, but he had them cut and welded how he needed.
    A lot of people use eBay stuff and get away with it, but fwiw, I wouldn't. There are far more horror stories from them than there are good.
  • Id love to do the go autoworks kit, but that is quite a bit out of my range for the time being, I will probably go with an eBay intercooler kit, and try to find a bov, turbo, and manifold used.
    No offense man, but you're really barking up the wrong tree if it isn't in your price range. Quality builds take time when you're an average dude not making crazy money. Be patient. Too many Honda kids go and buy the cheapest crap because they "need it now," and they end up broken and pissed off it didn't work. If boost is your goal, take your time, buy the right stuff the FIRST time, and enjoy WHEN it happens. I have been building my H2B hatch for 3 years almost because I wanted the very best parts, wouldn't settle, and am in school full-time. Take your time. Can't stress it enough.
  • Think my game plan right now is to get the p2p0 rods/vitara pistons combo then rebuild the motor and just drive it NA while I save up either to piece together quality used parts or the goautoworks kit. Since I think the compression with the p2p0 stuff will be fine for NA driving.
    That's what I'm doing man, and I think it's the best route. I'm building my Z6 then will have it running and broken in by tax time for a Go-Auto kit for it.
  • Nearly the same here as well though I don't have the z6 yet to work on. But yeah solid proven build.