Starter coming on while driving, also tries to start up when parked with no key.

Hello, Wanted to ask as there's not much information on google about this happening to Hondas. My '90 Civic Wagon 2WD has started to crank over as I'm driving along, like the key is being turned.. Also if it's parked it'll randomly try to turn itself on (with no key and no one even around it). The starter will crank over until it kills the battery, or in one case it'll actually fire up and sit there idling.

What am I looking at here and what is the most likely culprit?

Ignition switch..
Starter..
Main relay??
Distributor?..
Wiring under the dash or in the bay?

Something generating a signal to tell the starter to turn on... And there's absolutely no remote starter in this car. It's a beater with no mods. And this started happening in heavy downpouring rain.

Comments

• HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Starter terminals/wiring would be the first place I would look, then the ignition switch. Something could be bridging the terminals on the back of the ignition or the two terminals on the starter.
  • yep i'd also start looking at the ignition switch and replace it, if that doesnt work then check both the cables at the starter as they could be shorting on each other.
  • Do you have a remote start or other similar add-on?
  • JHMEE4JHMEE4 New Wagonist
    Hahaha for some reason I'm over here rolling with laughter, just the thought of the car starting on it's own is so funny to me. I have no clue why.

I'd probably start with the ignition as well, since it started after rain I wonder if it's in the engine bay, a short of sorts. I'm curious as to what the problem is. Keep us updated.
  • SECURITY, did you figure it out yet?

It's not a bad idea to replace a 25 year old high mileage ignition switch (currently $26 on rockauto.com), but I don't think it is the source of your issues. There is still the clutch switch (M/T) or the neutral safety switch (A/T) in the circuit to prevent a bad ign switch from doing this.

If your car is manual trans, there is a starter relay in the dash fuse box. That *might* do it.

I think BY FAR the most likely source is the starter solenoid. It's built into the starter, so... You probably need a new starter.
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    JHMEE4 wrote: »
    Hahaha for some reason I'm over here rolling with laughter, just the thought of the car starting on it's own is so funny to me. I have no clue why.

I got a good laugh out of this as well.
    Sounds like we got a "modern" day Herbie on our hands...