crank pulley , which is adv / retard side?

949949 Senior Wagonist
im using a timing light on my d16 and i cant tell which side is adv or retard when i flash the timing light on it.

which side is which. there are 3 tick marks on the crank pulley and a single white one. i am using the 3 tick marks as reference for this scenario. so which side is which? is the one towards the cabin of the car adv/retard vs. is the tick mark towards the front bumper adv/retard?

Comments

• bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    The 3 timing marks are before TDC. The single white mark is TDC. The engine rotates clockwise as viewed from the flywheel end. So... The three red marks are like 18,16,14 degrees before TDC.

Make sense?
  • 949949 Senior Wagonist
    yeah. thanks for the clear up.
    this what i needed to know.

1 tick mark
    white single tick mark= "0" degrees

3 tick marks
    from left to right when the crank pulley is on the engine and looking at it from the fender.
    left tick mark= "18" degree
    center tick mark = "16" degree
    right tick mark = "14" degree

just to clearify here:
    then is it in that order exactly when i look at it?
    when looking at the crank pulley from the drivers side fender; left is near bumper=18, then center=16, then right is near driver seat=14.

also is 18,16,14 the standard for all d16 or is it different according to different heads?

mine is a d16a6 bottom. reason is because i now have a y8 head with an adjustable cam gear which im trying to dial back to "0" as best as i can. its taking a while to do.im close now but its sitting of a degree and im not sure if its a degree + or - now. kinda OCD with getting it dead on. im willing to put the time into it right now but once its set im leaving it alone.
    It may be 20,18,16 but you have the idea. I just went and looked at the tuneup decal on a '91 hood. It says to set timing at 18deg.btdc +/- 2deg.

I always assumed that the middle mark was the spec., and the 2 others plus and minus.

Somebody correct me if I'm misinforming here...

edit: so, yes, closer to the bumper is more advanced..
  • 949949 Senior Wagonist
    i just looked as well and my sticker also says 18. so your saying that the sets of numbers are now in this order;

left: 20 degree
    middle: 18 degree
    right: 16 degree
    yep. That's my final answer, Regis.
  • 949949 Senior Wagonist
    cool thanks. this will help out a lot with my little tweaking of timing settings.
  • 949949 Senior Wagonist
    someone else is now telling me that even tho the sticker under the hood says 18 degree's that i need to still set my timing light to 16 degrees.
  • My haynes manual says y7/y8 is set to 12* btdc.
  • 949949 Senior Wagonist
    so i guess im going to average it out with my stock bottom settings.

original is 18 degree
    Y8 head is 12 degree

so ill do 15 degrees.
  • 949949 Senior Wagonist
    ok just did the adjustments.

i hooked up the service connector that was shown in the manual book but nothing happend. the check engine light did not light up. since this is a p28 with a hondata i had assumed it wouldnt work. so i hooked up the two leads that rywire has on the rywire obd0 to obd1 wiring swap i have now. with these two leads connected to each other i did get the check engine light to lite up. i made sure the car is very warm. enough to have the car's radiator fan come on.
    i set the timing light to 0 degree and proceded to adjust the skunk2 adjustable cam pulley. i lined up the light to have the center of the 3 tick marks to be right under the notch on the pulley cover.
    i also tried to have the dizzy as center as possible before doing the cam adjustments.

it looks like its idling pretty good now.

thanks guys for the detailed help. i hope that this will help others when they do their swap and need info on how to do this.

since i had it all attached and done, i thought i could just look at what happens when i switch the timing light towards 18 degrees.
    well as i moved it a degree at a time the light slowly moves the single white tick mark towards the notch guide on the pulley cover.
    at 18 degrees its exactly under the single line.

on the pulley the front of the car is advanced and towards the rear is retard.
    ~~~~~~~~White ' Red ' White ~~~~~~~White
    | --- | --- |
    |
    (ADV side)_____20*_18*_16*__(RETARD side)___________0* (TDC)
  • 949949 Senior Wagonist
    you guys are right!

i had revisit my timing settings these couple of months. as i was not completely happy with the way it runs and idles. hiccups sometimes, plus on the side i replaced all the valve seals with brand new supertech ones. intake and exhaust. pretty easy just dangerous if it i had slipped up somewhere. ( i didnt and it runs great, just need a buddy to drive behind me to see if i have stopped burning oil)

anyhow. you guys are right and im going to log here as to what i figured out. trial and error along with spec sheets.

this is set with these parameters if i had not stated yet:

obd1 swap with proper rywire harnesses, plug and play. so there is less issues with wiring down the road.
    using p28 hondata S3 w/turbo module.
    using the stock hondata map p28. no tune yet. just left it with the stock map and shorted out the ecu to time the engine with the light at each measure.
    Y8 head on d16a6 block.
    skunk2 adjustable cam gear.

the block is normally at 20-18-16 deg timing with the A6 head. 18 deg being stock.
    the Y8 head is at 18-16-14 deg timing with its original block. 16 deg being stock.

i tried to set it at 20 and drove, then 18 and drove, then 16 and drove, then 14 and drove, then 12 and drove. did this for a month or so. so it was over a few days in each deg.
    the result at stop and go, quick start ups, idling, and warm up:
    my particular engine likes to be between 14 and 12 deg. idles like stock. start ups are smoother with less issues of hiccups.
    now everyones engine will be different so just use my numbers as a reference if you like. it is by no means scientific or a proper test but for me it works.
  • 949949 Senior Wagonist
    ill be installing a regrind cam shaft on this finally.

the cam is from delta cam. I don't know the exact specs, but the simple it down its supposed to open it up from the mid all the way to high RPM ranges.

so before I install it and get it tuned, I have a question for someone with experience with performance camshafts will the engine. in general with this type of cam, does the engine like it when the cam gear is a little more advanced or retarded?
  • 949949 Senior Wagonist
    new update on the mods:

ill be installing a performance regrind cam shaft on this. d16y8 mini. non turbo version cam.

the cam is from delta cam service. regrind 272. I don't know the exact specs, but to just make the explanation simple, the regrind is supposed to open it up from the mids all the way to high RPM ranges.

so before I install it and get it tuned, I have a question for someone with experience with performance camshafts and this engine. in general with this type of cam, does the engine like it when the cam gear is a little more advanced or retarded on this cam shaft?