We're getting a CNC machine! What do you want made for your wagon?

Hey all!

We have a Shopbot on the way to our shop. We'll mostly be making synthesizer parts on it, but being an RT owner I thought I should ping the forum for ideas. Our CNC is a 3 axis machine capable of milling aluminum up to 6 inches thick, with a build platform of 24"x36".

I'd like to focus on hard to find wagon parts, for both FWD and RT models. What would be the first things you'd want made? We're very capable of doing small runs if we generate enough interest for a certain part, at very reasonable prices.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Comments

• AbideAbide Council Member
    no one is doing a billet aluminum diff mount. maybe with a nice bushing in there.
  • NobiZeroNobiZero New Wagonist
    Diff mounts, and maybe a pedal mount setup for those of us that don't want to have ours welded back together every few years.
  • I had to cut a bunch of shims out of some 1/8" bar stock to get enough clearance for a rear sway bar. In doing so I also lost the hook points where the rear sway bolts up. Might be cool to knock some rear sway bar spacers together. It would be a fairly simple fab, and since the bolt pattern is just mirrored they could be done the same.
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    rear disc brackets!
  • Uh, we already have those. :confused: How about something fun and simple like Wagon key chains?
  • klum wrote: »
    rear disc brackets!

Really dude?
  • Civic Wagon Monopoly pieces lol ;)
    wagon keychains are a dope idea, 2d or 3d tho? whos gunna get the percise measurements for a 3d version? lol
    remake those badasss eagle emblems!
  • I assume it's 3 dimensional cause says it's a 3 axis machine lol
  • I have a Shopbot or what is left of a Shopbot. An older 96x48 PRT Alpha router. Their software was too limiting for what I am doing so the control box was gutted and fitted with a CandCNC controller. I am running Mach 3 to do both routing and plasma. Way more capable and supports standard G code.

They are fun tools.

Did you get a spindle or router?
  • All I know is that I'm so glad you're in PDX.
  • Oh! How about the wagon specific window regulator piece? That way you can use sedan regulators with the wagon piece. Would sell like wild fire! I even have one I was going to sell after scoring a full wagon regulator assy. I'd loan it to you for setup or take one of the new ones in trade.
    75.jpgif noone knew what i was talking about... lol fuck SOA its all about HOA!
  • klum wrote: »
    75.jpgif noone knew what i was talking about... lol fuck SOA its all about HOA!

I thought that was an accord thing?
  • Those are badass? Guess I'm just a bitch then, cause those things are hideous.
  • GR33KGR33K Wagonist
    How about the shifter bushing in the shifter for the manual RT's?
  • The square one or the round ones?

Round ones are cake to make on the lathe with some delrin.

The square one I have not come up with a solution for. They have an undercut in them for the ball socket. Probably require a custom bit to carve out the hole.
  • NobiZeroNobiZero New Wagonist
    For the square ones, you can make a spacer using some plastic. I used an old dearlership license plate, cut some little squares off of it, and super glued them to the bushings. 15k later, and they're still in there.
  • Radiator Stays! Maybe add some smaller holes/perforations around where the radiator post would go through, that way people could DIY some silicone on there and it would have something to bite on to.
  • The trim piece that goes around the seat belts. That would be a cool little addition, especially if someone anodizes.
  • Lately I've been thinking about nice cosmetic additions. A cupholder that fits on top of the dash, a nice wooden armrest akin to the JDM style one, things like that. Any other ideas?
  • Center console with integral arm rest would be fun. With the right setup that could be done to blind finger joint together, or it could be visible finger joints for the separate panels, both would look good. Especially out of some baltic birch, I love the way that stuff looks, even the ply layers on edge.

A dash cupholder would be cool, what could be fun is just do like a DIY kit for that, cut a piece that fits the dash, both sides, so it would have a groove on the underside to fit over the divider. Then some accessories could be sold, like the cup holders, or someone could just have a blank for adding their own things on to it. Like if someone wanted to integrate some wooden gauge holders, or a fitting for their smart phone/satnav etc. Definitely potential there for a few things as well.

I always wanted to do some visors out of some thinner ply, since it should be plenty dimensionally stable to suit that task. Maybe a couple different sizes to account for people running the wide rear view mirrors. Or even do them up with cut lines, like the floor mats had. So people have a guide line to trim the visors down themselves.

The pulls for folding the back seats down. The trim that fits around those pulls.

ebrake handles are always something not too complex that can be fun to work with and just add some radness to the interior.

That little trim bit that goes around the seatbelt receiver like I mentioned above, that's some cosmetic stuff right there that's a pretty simple design.

Not sure if it would work out of wood, but plates for where the various additional buttons go. Might be a metal part there or something, not sure exactly how the spring clip mechanism would work in the back, but it's an idea to toy around with. That way people wanting to mount aux switches but don't have the OEM switch aren't having to drill in to the factory dummy plate.