Throttle pulley or dashpot?

Hi guys I've been doing a lot of reading and researching on the forum and is need your opinion.

problem: rpm doesn't come down after I press the gas pedal. Usually get stuck at 1,500 - 2,000 rpm

question: my question is which one is more likely to cause the rpm not going back to normal idle?

I did a test, when I start the car (~1,000 rpm) idle, then rev the engine to 3,000 rpm and 4,000. After I let go of the pedal, rpm is stuck at 2,000. But when the rpm is "stuck" at 2,000 and I physically turn the throttle pulley up, the rpm gets back to 1,000 which is normal idle.

so what do you guys think is the spring on the throttle body bad? From what I've learned dashpot doesn't pull/ push the rod connected to throttle pulley.

Comments

• AbideAbide Council Member
    sounds like the dash pot or just being really sticky. the dashpot has some adjustment that just requires bending. you'll see a little tab with a slit in it that can be squeezed or pried apart some.
  • killapetekillapete Band Wagon
    mine was doing that until i realized someone didnt install the throttle cable right...i could phisically pull up on the gas pedal with my toe and the rpms would go back down to normal.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    killapete wrote: »
    mine was doing that until i realized someone didnt install the throttle cable right...i could phisically pull up on the gas pedal with my toe and the rpms would go back down to normal.

Yep. Most common reason for this is someone posting that "Honda left a lot of slack in the cable in case old nanas rear end people, you should tighten it up to increase throttle response". That would be false. It's called wear and tear.
    Check that it's not too tight - back it off and test to be sure. I would suggest a proper service of the accelerator components - making sure the cable moves nicely in the sheath, checking the the throttle plate isn't caked in gunk and making sure the cable isn't fouled on something.