steering column going left to right

So today i picked up another wagon. The problem is if i grab the steering wheel and pull it left the wheel and column and all go's as far left as it can. it will not move to the right like that. and no play up and down. no play in the wheel and tight steering just the whole assy. will move to the left about 3 inchs off center and i can move it back center no problem. gotta fix this asap lol went around a sharp curve and almost lost it because for this.

Comments

• HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Under the dash is a hoop bar that the column bolts to. Is it secure?
  • Could your tie rods be that far out of adjustment? Are your boots intact or did they remove the power steering and not plug the lines? Could have debris locking up your steering pinion. When you turn to the right the little bit does the wheel come to a sudden and immediate stop or is a binding feeling?
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    sounds like someone hit a curb hard af and bent the front sub frame to shit and was able to get it straight enough to drive - i been there lol
    caster and toe issues on ef's after wrecks are supe hard to diagnose
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Is it just the column itself moving? I'm a little confused.
    But here's my suggestion: check the bolts in the steering rack. I bought a sedan once that was missing those bolts, a
    and your description sounds familiar.
  • bam-bam wrote: »
    Is it just the column itself moving? I'm a little confused.
    But here's my suggestion: check the bolts in the steering rack. I bought a sedan once that was missing those bolts, a
    and your description sounds familiar.

Yep, there is a bent half-circle bar with 2 bolt holes that should mount the shaft to the dash bar. If it is loose or missing, the whole assembly will feel loose.

#4 in the pic >

SH33B3201A.gif
  • LowFlyin' wrote: »
    Yep, there is a bent half-circle bar with 2 bolt holes that should mount the shaft to the dash bar. If it is loose or missing, the whole assembly will feel loose.

#4 in the pic >

www.civicwagon.com

I bet its the half bar. forgot about that thing, ill check it when i get back to town. the whole column moves to the left